US Cellular phone service in Alaska

grannynurse

We are taking our business cell phone to Alaska and need to keep in touch. Can anyone who has US Cellular service had phone access in Alaska? If not would you please comment on the areas in which you had no service? Thanks in advance,

GN

I don't mean to sound ignorant - but I'm assuming you're talking about a cell phone from the US and not a brand name - US Cellular. I took my cell phone (Cingular) and had service in every major port and town that we went through - Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Anchorage, Talkeetna, Soldotna & Seward. My husband, on the other hand, has Verizon (Can you hear me now?) service and had more difficulty in acquiring a signal. Friends on the trip with us had Sprint and also had signal in a majority of the ports and towns we visited. Hope that helps with your question.

US Cellular's website says that they don't provide service in Alaska.

I looked, not just to be a naysayer, but because US Cellular stopped providing coverage in southern California last year. I was a big proponent of analong cell phones -- I work in broadcast Television, and it costs us A LOT of money to provide workarounds. We can't deal with the .5 second delay (hardly noticible in regular conversations) that digital cell service causes.

Hi cruiseokie,

We'll be on the HAL Westerdam on 9/17. We've sailed HAl almost exclusively since 2002 but have been on RCI, NCL, and the old Premier (BIg Red Boat).

Thanks for answering. I knew we weren't the only cruise addicts in BA.

GN

We have Verizon, and while talking on the phone was not a bid priority while in AK, we did call home from most of the ports with no problem. And not one call was roaming !! I can't remember specifics, but I am positive I called from Whittier, Juneau, and Ketchikan with no problem. We had good reception in Fairbanks, Talkeetna, and Anchorage as well.

We are taking our business cell phone to Alaska and need to keep in touch. Can anyone who has US Cellular service had phone access in Alaska? If not would you please comment on the areas in which you had no service? Thanks in advance,

GN

We have Cingular and my husband took the ferry 2 weeks ago to move us to California from North Pole, Alaska. We have serice in Fairbanks down the 352 miles to Anchorage, and in the cities of Seward, Homer, Kenai, Whittier, Haines, Juneau, Skagway, Wragell and Ketchikan, all the way down to Seattle. The phone signal only works near the cities on the inside passage. So, just leave your phone on and it will beep every time it gets service. My DH called almost constantly to let me know his progress. Good luck, it's getting cold up here!! I leave to get on the Elation 9/3 on Friday and then after the cruise to our new home in California....like I said, dress warm if heading to Alaska

We're sailing Inside Passage next week (Serenade of the Seas). We also have Cingular cell service. If there is a signal, do roaming charges apply?

See2Sea :)

Since I have 'National' service I was told that roaming charges would not apply. However, if you have local or state service, call Cingular and ask them to switch you for the month. You might have to pay National rate for the month - but I guarantee you it will be cheaper than paying roaming charges.

Archived