Vancouver hotel recommendations

Pinnacle Harbourfront is a great location ... they have a hotel car which will take you to the cruise port if free. We were fortunate to leave for our cruise at a time when it was free ... they took us right over early, 5 minute ride ... going early we beat the crowds!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are staying at PP in September. Our rate for the Club Floor is I believe $550 for one night (we booked some time ago). Currently the rate for the same room is close to $800.

Check the Vancouver Cruise schedules for your dates- number of ships will have a big impact on the rates (especially near the terminal). The day we leave will have 3 large ships in so the night before is going to be very busy.

We always pay the premium for the Club Floor. When we arrived last year there were probably close to 100 people in the lobby waiting at the desk. We took the elevator to 23 and had a glass of wine while the Concierge checked another guest in. Great evening appetizers with no host bar and very nice breakfast in the morning.

We're looking for the night of Sept 29, 2017 for 1 night and are surprised at the prices.

Do the downtown hotels offer complimentary shuttle from the airport? If not, does anyone know how much that costs?

We're currently booked into the Westin Wall Centre at around $300 (to include breakfast). I've been told they may have complimentary airport shuttle but fare to the port may be around $50. Can anyone offer insight into this?

Thank you!!

You've been told correct info as the Westin Wall is an airport hotel - they all have free shuttles as they're generally within a mile or two of YVR. A cab from there would be metered and $50 is certainly not an abnormal charge - if you returned to the airport on the free hotel shuttle then cabs become fixed rate, $35 to the pier. I would personally never recommend an airport hotel unless your flight is so late that you have no chance of sightseeing - and even then there are cheaper hotels downtown that would allow you more efficient morning sightseeing opportunities before boarding...

We will be staying in Vancouver for 2 nights Sept. 11th. & 12th. what should we expect to pay for a decent hotel near the port?

Impossible to say without knowing what you personally define as 'decent' and 'near'!

Use Expedia, Hotels, Booking etc. .coms to compare precise hotel pricing for your dates and Tripadvisor for comparative reviews. But basically ANY downtown hotel is close to the pier (most are within 1.5miles). Prices vary from the YWCA (usually in the top 20 reviewed hotels) at ~$120 a night for a double en suite room in high season (their prices are always the same, no variance based on demand) to many hundreds of dollars for 4* places (no 5* hotels in Vancouver). Any map site will let you see exactly where each hotel is in relation to the pier.

So...we will either pay less to stay at the airport and take a taxi or shuttle to the port for $40-$50 OR pay more to stay downtown and pay $30-$40 for a taxi to get there. Hmmmm. Still not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So...we will either pay less to stay at the airport and take a taxi or shuttle to the port for $40-$50 OR pay more to stay downtown and pay $30-$40 for a taxi to get there. Hmmmm. Still not sure.

If you have enough time for sightseeing, that airport hotel total cost climbs quickly if you factor in a return cab fare to downtown where the sights are... using transit (safe, clean, and pretty fast depending how far from the nearest SkyTrain station your hotel is and whether you walk.shuttle/cab to it) drops the price a lot. Cab or transit will be at least 30mins each way too. And fixed-rate cabs from YVR mean you know exactly what your cab costs - $31 to virtually all downtown hotels, except $35 for the handful right next to the pier and $37 for the Westin Bayshore.

We will be staying in Vancouver for 2 nights Sept. 11th. & 12th. what should we expect to pay for a decent hotel near the port?

We were able to secure two nights at the YWCA hotel for about $217 USD TOTAL for those two dates. Our room is a double with a bathroom included. It is cheaper if you can do a shared bathroom. What I understand is that the cost to get to the pier is about $10 for a cab. The hotel has wonderful reviews. I think the only thing I've seen negative about the hotel is that the rooms are a little small. But it's close to everything, from what I understand, and the value is worth it to us, especially because the money supports a cause. We did get a senior rate.

Good luck finding a hotel. We looked and booked a while ago as folks said we were late to the game in booking. That was a couple months ago!

We stay at the YWCA when in Vancouver. It's clean, safe and a great location. Feels like a Comfort Inn or Days Inn. Not fancy but has everything we need. Laundry and kitchens, coffee shop in lobby and lots of restauants close by.

Looking at Booking.com in USD for two people for those TWO dates.

• $188 Barclay
  • $426 Century Plaza
  • $440 Days Inn » 3 blocks from cruise terminal, check online reviews for potential concerns
  • $467 Holiday Inn Downtown
  • $473 Metropolitan
  • $610 L'Hermitage
  • $611 Westin Grand
  • $625 Auberge
  • $648 Hampton Inn » a fav for Hilton point collectors, there's a shuttle to the cruise terminal
  • $727 Pinnacle Harbourfront » 5 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $744 Sutton Place » great restaurants nearby
  • $806 Sheraton Wall Centre
  • $868 Delta
  • $874 Fairmont Pacific Rim » 3 blocks from cruise terminal
  • $889 Pan Pacific » you sleep above the cruise terminal
  • $949 Westin Bayshore » for those who want to walk and explore Stanley Park
  • $1008 Fairmont Waterfront » you sleep across the street from the cruise terminal

Yes there is savings away from the cruise terminal. If the YWCA does not have space, I would be looking at the Barclay. Otherwise, I would looking at the L'Hermitage or Hampton.

• 4 weeks later...

The YWCA is a fantastic choice for someone who does not need all the bells and whistles. Far superior to The Barclay IMHO. I love the location right between Gastown and Yaletown. Cab to Canada Place 10-15 CAD. Perfect choice in the much more affordable price range.

Also the YWCA offers a senior discount through their own website. Frequently they still have availability even when Bookingdotcom shows it as unavailable.

So- a subjective question... :). Is the Pan Pacific "worth it"? Right now it's at $499 per night...

Ooof. Plus taxes - I could never justify paying that much for a Vancouver hotel room. You are paying for the convenience of staying at the cruise terminal. In my opinion, there are other properties much more worthy (so many already mentioned in this thread!) where you could have a premium room on a high floor, a nice dinner, and cab to the pier in the morning for less!

Having said that, we did treat ourselves to the Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Canada Place) a few years ago, but our TA got us a room for about $250.00. That was OK. :) Great hotel.

Instead of an hotel, consider a B&B.

We stayed at the Barclay House B&B (not to be confused with the less desirable Barclay Hotel). The Barclay House B&B location cannot be beaten. We walked to downtown, Gastown, the ferry to Granville Island and Stanley Park. Taxi to Canada Place to board the ship was only CAD 10.

Our room was lovely; our host was friendly and informative; our breakfast was delicious and our evenings on the front porch were relaxing.

Rates for summer 2018 range from $150-$250 depending on the room you choose. Book early for best choices.