Camara for Dream Alaska Cruise Tour

ladams52

We are taking our dream cruise to Alaska in June for our 30th wedding anniversary. We really need a new camera and I have been reading up on the Canon Powershot SX60. I wanted a point and shot camera that would be easy to use since I am clearly a novice photographer, but wanted to make sure and capture every moment of our adventure. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? Thank you!

Hi, and congratulations on 30 years! DH & I are also going on an Alaskan cruise in June, to celebrate our 40th anniversary :) Which also prompted my search for a new camera.

There are many experts that will provide excellent advice and answers to your question, I am sure. I am a novice as well and have spent several weeks deciding which camera to buy. I have a Canon PowerShot SD780 IS - it is great for a small, fits-in-my-purse camera. I also have a Canon Rebel XSi which does a great job, although my interest hasn't progressed beyond the novice stage even after having it for 4-5 years, and I don't enjoy carrying around multiple lenses, large bag etc...so I plan to try and sell that one to help fund my new purchase. ;)

After reading lots of reviews, comparisons, forums and seriously thinking about what I really want from a camera, today I ordered a refurbished Canon SX50 HS from the Canon website for (what I think is, anyway) a good price of $229. There were some features with the SX60 that really tempted me - WiFi, 65x zoom lens, better video, updated look...but since I am apparently content to remain a novice user, I felt like the best choice for me was to go with the reasonably priced SX50.

If you have interest in going beyond the novice camera user or have the ability to spend more, the SX60 would probably be a great choice - I really had a hard time choosing between the two! Good luck with your research and decision...and enjoy your cruise!

We are taking our dream cruise to Alaska in June for our 30th wedding anniversary. We really need a new camera and I have been reading up on the Canon Powershot SX60. I wanted a point and shot camera that would be easy to use since I am clearly a novice photographer, but wanted to make sure and capture every moment of our adventure. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? Thank you!

What's your budget, and what's most important to you? Are you thinking mostly daylight with a long zoom, or do you want to mix in low light photography? Do you have a camera now that you're comfortable with? If so, what is it?

I suspect you're looking at the category of "Superzooms" or "Bridge" cameras; a somewhat hard to define set of cameras that are larger format point and shoots, with a good zoom range.

The Canon SX 60 looks to be a very good middle of the road performer in this segment. It has an amazing zoom range, but a variable aperture that usually will reduce its effectiveness in lower light. That may or may not matter to you.

The most intriguing camera in this segment today (which could change in a week, literally), is the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10. It doesn't have the zoom range of the Canon, but it has a fixed f/2.8 Zeiss lens. It's also close to $1000...

If you haven't, Google B&H Photo and go to Photography\Digital Cameras\Point & Shoot Cameras. Select "Superzoom/Bridge" in the camera type box. They list 33 as of today. You can compare up to 4; I sorted by price high to low, ignored the Leica, and picked the next 4. That'll give you a good way to look at the pick of this crop. Tonight, that's the Sony, a Panasonic, an Olympus, and the Canon.

Check that out, and come back and ask questions once you figure out what's most important to you. This is a big segment in consumer cameras, and you have a lot of choices!

We went to Alaska 5 years ago at the time you are going. I am a serious photographer so of course I took a DSLR Nikon with several lenses. I also took a Nikon P6000 which was a top line point & shoot. I also have had several Canon G-9, G-10 which is Canon's top line point & shoot. I only tell you this so you know where I am coming from.

First off wide angle <50 mm is for scenery and when you are in towns where you can not get back far enough. Telephotos > 50 mm are to bring things closer that you cannot get closer to by walking forward. This is based on 35mm. The Point and shoot zooms go up to 60x but generally the lens is slow f5.6 which means you need more light to expose the picture. Do not get confused when they talk about digital zoom as every manual will tell you to turn this off since it will degrade your picture. Optical is the only thing to look at.

The better made point and shoot cameras Canon g-15 and Nikon P7800 are probably around 450 - 550. Note that no one has better deals on Nikon or Canon since if they undercut the price the manufacture will not sell them any more cameras. I tell you this in case you have a local camera store in your area. You are going to get just as good deal there as B&H. The two models I have suggested allow you to grow and do more with the flash built in or adding another flash. They also have better sensors and will take better pictures at higher iso.

Both of the camera's zoom feature are more than adequate for what you want to do. This is a glorious trip and one of the few cruises that my wife and I will do again. You want to take many pictures. I would suggest that whatever camera you buy get a second battery for it in case you need to change it during the day. Additionally I usually go to amazon and purchase a second charger that works off ac or car for about $12 as these are more compact and easier to bring with you than the oem charger.

I took an SX-40 to Alaska a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier with my choice. I just took picture number 5,000 with the camera. Anything in that SX series should be good as it combines long zoom with many other options.

Capturing "every moment" is difficult with a single budget camera. Even someone bringing an expensive dSLR with thousands of dollars of lenses may not necessarily have all the gear to capture "every moment." I have my own Alaska cruise coming up, I'm a photography enthusiast.. I'll be bringing thousands of dollars in gear, but I still need to decide in advance which moments are my priorities.

The way I see it, the main types of photos one might want to capture on an Alaska cruise:

On-ship shots... Including family pictures, often in artificial/low light.

Landscapes -- wide angle, breath taking scenery landscapes.

Wildlife -- Bears, eagle, whales... needing a long telephoto as you might be far away.

The Canon "SX" cameras do give you a long telephoto, making wildlife possible. They are also wide enough for landscapes. They will not go great in low light. And even the long telephoto, the quality will suffer even on a cloudy day.

Something like the RX10 will do better in low light. Will be wide enough for landscapes. It will give you some telephoto reach for wildlife, but not a huge amount.

Something like the Sony RX10 or Canon GX7 will give you pretty good low light shots, ship shots and wide angle, but won't give you any real wildlife reach.

I went with this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQ4W3X0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I to will be in Alaska in May and doing mucho research led me to this Nikon. I have used it a little and so far so good! Yes, it does not have a super amount of zoom but to use those high zooms, you do better with a tripod but even then, it may not turn out well so I went with a little less in that category.

I also looked at all the features I need (or did not need) and went with this one as it fit my needs. It may not for others looking for WiFi, and manual zoom, etc but I'm simple and wanted a less complicated camera. (Yes, the red color is pretty too!)

Write a list of what you want in a camera and get the one that has the features you listed. Super zooms have limitations and the technology is getting better but still not there yet for me to warrant paying the big $$ on a 60 + zoom when the photos are not going to be to my desire. Especially indoor photos. Those may not be as good so you may have to pack 2 cameras, a super zoom and another for low light conditions. Maybe in a few years the supers will get better! Read the reviews as well. Some are done by experts so those are informative.

Have fun on your cruise!

The sx60 is a great choice. I just purchased one at the end of November and used it on a cruise in December. Great camera. You will need a better neck strap for the camera. You will need steady support on long shots in fact I rarely needed the high end,1365mm, for shots. With this camera you will be able to capture bears picking their teeth with fish bones while others will just see the bear. I also used the viewfinder all the time, if the lcd screen is off you can extend battery life and holding the camera steady is easier. Never needed my monopod.

• 3 weeks later...

I would highly suggest looking at the Panasonic FZ1000. Its sensor is 1", which is more than double of every other superzoom camera. Sensor size is one of the most important factors in the quality of your final image-- the smaller the sensor, the worse the camera will be in anything but bright light and the noisier/more pixelated the photos will appear.

It's zoom range is "only" 25-400mm, but that should be plenty-- and the dirty secret of super zooms is that once you get much past 400mm it's almost impossible to hold the camera still enough to get a clean picture, even on a bright day.

I used superzooms exclusively for a long time and recently made the switch to an interchangeable lens system. But honestly, if the FZ1000 had come out before I did so I probably would have gotten it instead-- it's a remarkable camera.

Edited by emeybee

I would highly suggest looking at the Panasonic FZ1000. Its sensor is 1", which is more than double of every other superzoom camera. Sensor size is one of the most important factors in the quality of your final image-- the smaller the sensor, the worse the camera will be in anything but bright light and the noisier/more pixelated the photos will appear.

It's zoom range is "only" 25-400mm, but that should be plenty-- and the dirty secret of super zooms is that once you get much past 400mm it's almost impossible to hold the camera still enough to get a clean picture, even on a bright day.

I used superzooms exclusively for a long time and recently made the switch to an interchangeable lens system. But honestly, if the FZ1000 had come out before I did so I probably would have gotten it instead-- it's a remarkable camera.

Agreed. If I was going to take a bridge camera to Alaska, it would be the fz1000.

You really can't go wrong with any of the newer higher-end Canon or Nikon point & shoot cameras.

What I really want to say is don't wait to buy just prior to leaving on your trip. I see so many who do this and end up regretting it. Make a choice, buy it now and use it as much as you can prior to sailing. Learn how it works and the limitations it might have. I have seen someone with a low buck DSLR camera (~$500) take better pictures than someone with a $3,000 camera because they new how to use the equipment they had. I've done many Alaska cruises and can't tell you how many times I have had someone ask me how their camera works. I attract them because I am one of those with the $7k camera and 2 1/2 foot long telephoto lens and they think I know everything. The dream camera doesn't always have to be the expensive one with the ugly learning curve where the manual is thick as the local phone book. Nice cameras do help but knowledge and experience will overcome quality just about any day.

I am also going to Alaska for a two week cruise tour at the end of May and needed a bit of an upgrade. I have always used fairly inexpensive super compact digital cameras but wanted something a bit better for this trip. I preordered the somewhat large Nikon P900. I have always been a sucker for technology(83x zoom) and I want to limit my gear greatly. I am not too picky on having super high quality(not interested in 35mm and multiple lenses) and plan on using the seven shot burst mode a lot. I'll have a month to play with it before leaving as well. Wish me luck.

Edited by Kwigybo

I am also going to Alaska for a two week cruise tour at the end of May and needed a bit of an upgrade. I have always used fairly inexpensive super compact digital cameras but wanted something a bit better for this trip. I preordered the somewhat large Nikon P900. I have always been a sucker for technology(83x zoom) and I want to limit my gear greatly. I am not too picky on having super high quality(not interested in 35mm and multiple lenses) and plan on using the seven shot burst mode a lot. I'll have a month to play with it before leaving as well. Wish me luck.

I would honestly suggest you reconsider the preorder. Canon and Nikon make excellent DSLRs (cameras with interchangeable lenses), but that excellence does not translate to their lower end, fixed-lens cameras. Their focus is on professional photographers, not people who are going to leave it on Auto or rely on scene modes. The best camera makers for less experienced users are Panasonic and Sony. Fuji and Olympus are also worth looking at, though I'm not familiar with their most recent offerings.

Unless the P900 has the most amazing image stabilization ever made (doubtful), or you carry a tripod with you everywhere you go (a huge pain), that 83x zoom is going to be pretty useless past about 16x. Even if you manage to get the subject in the frame, I guarantee you it will be a messy blur. The longest zoom I've ever had on a camera was 50x, and it was basically useless.

As I mentioned above, the best fixed lens/superzoom camera on the market right now is the Panasonic FZ1000. Nothing else even comes close. The Nikon P900 (and every other point and shoot) has a .43" sensor. The FZ1000 has a 1" sensor, more than double. That affects not only image quality, but how well the camera works in low light (including cloudy Alaska days). You can also crop your pictures to half the size (effectively "zooming in") and still have better quality than the D900. If you are truly a "sucker for technology", this is the camera you want, not an unnecessary zoom that is just going to make your pictures worse. And forget your 7-shot burst mode, the FZ1000 can shoot 40 frames per second.

I've had at least a dozen top of the line superzoom cameras over the past decade. The FZ1000 blows them all away. And no, I don't work for Panasonic, I just think if you're going to shell out hundreds of dollars you should make it worth the money. If you're dead set on a longer zoom, then I'd look at the Sony HX50V. It has the smaller .43" sensor, but it will save you several hundred dollars over the P900, with equal (if not better) results. It also has a 30x zoom and can fit in your pocket.

Edited by emeybee

I would honestly suggest you reconsider the preorder. Canon and Nikon make excellent DSLRs (cameras with interchangeable lenses), but that excellence does not translate to their lower end, fixed-lens cameras..

Thanks for the info and I appreciate the input. I did look at the FZ1000 and it is highly rated. Sadly I am looking for a super zoom. I have a friend with the P600 which has a 60x zoom and he gets good max zoom shots handheld on a nice bright day. The P900 is supposed to be improved over the P600 (P610 is being released at the same time) with very good 5 stop image stabilization. I also have a small carbon fiber monopod. I want a really long reach(without spending two grand and carrying multiple lenses) for Alaska. Here is a sample pic from the P900...http://chsvll.nikon-image.com/products/compact/lineup/p900/img/sample/pic_01_og.jpg

Thanks for the info and I appreciate the input. I did look at the FZ1000 and it is highly rated. Sadly I am looking for a super zoom. I have a friend with the P600 which has a 60x zoom and he gets good max zoom shots handheld on a nice bright day. The P900 is supposed to be improved over the P600 (P610 is being released at the same time) with very good 5 stop image stabilization. I also have a small carbon fiber monopod. I want a really long reach(without spending two grand and carrying multiple lenses) for Alaska. Here is a sample pic from the P900...http://chsvll.nikon-image.com/products/compact/lineup/p900/img/sample/pic_01_og.jpg

Be careful. That "sample" is Nikon promotional. Certainly taken on a tripod. And how many bad shots until they got a good shot!

The best photographers in the world seldom ever use more than about 500-600mm.... The biggest lenses that are made for full frame dslrs. (And cost several thousand dollars).

The fz1000 goes to 400mm. That really is the ballpark you need for wildlife. (I plan to go to Alaska with a 300mm and 1.4 tele, to get 420mm total).

You will indeed get better shots simply cropping the fz1000 then you would with a super zoom.

If you do indeed stick the the 40x+ super zooms, be sure to use a tripod at anything beyond 10x. Also, don't expect better quality than web prints.

Be careful. That "sample" is Nikon promotional. Certainly taken on a tripod. And how many bad shots until they got a good shot!

The best photographers in the world seldom ever use more than about 500-600mm.... The biggest lenses that are made for full frame dslrs. (And cost several thousand dollars).

The fz1000 goes to 400mm. That really is the ballpark you need for wildlife. (I plan to go to Alaska with a 300mm and 1.4 tele, to get 420mm total).

You will indeed get better shots simply cropping the fz1000 then you would with a super zoom.

If you do indeed stick the the 40x+ super zooms, be sure to use a tripod at anything beyond 10x. Also, don't expect better quality than web prints.

Also, a monopod is not a tripod. It keeps you from moving the camera up/down but does nothing for side/side. It is only marginally better than handheld.

Also, a monopod is not a tripod. It keeps you from moving the camera up/down but does nothing for side/side. It is only marginally better than handheld.

Oh... it's a lot better than handheld. But it is not a tripod. Unlike a tripod, you will still need fast shutter speeds.

Here is a hands on with the new camera. Superzoomy The amount of zoom on that construction site is not possible with the FZ1000 even with cropping. This thing is a baby telescope. It is an apples and oranges thing really. I have done my homework on what I want and this camera looks good. I will look at all the reviews in the next 45 days before I receive mine. I can always cancel the order if the camera is deemed a total piece of crap.

Edited by Kwigybo

And Costco has it for $100 off right now online

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The reviews on the SX60 are good. You may also want to consider the Canon G7X or G16, which are also point and shots with excellent reviews.