Travel and Leisure Rankings

bfsr9

If the criteria is weighted towards size of cabin, age of ship, # of pools, size of spa, balconies, variety of itineraries, and evening entertainment, SeaDream isn't going to fare well. If the criteria is casual luxury in sunny locations with friendly and personalized service, then SeaDream is #1. The criteria for evaluating these types of surveys changes every year. No one would read the "Best Places to Live in America" articles if they listed the same cities every year.

If the criteria is weighted towards size of cabin, age of ship, # of pools, size of spa, balconies, variety of itineraries, and evening entertainment, SeaDream isn't going to fare well. If the criteria is casual luxury in sunny locations with friendly and personalized service, then SeaDream is #1. The criteria for evaluating these types of surveys changes every year. No one would read the "Best Places to Live in America" articles if they listed the same cities every year.

How right you are about polls. A beach near us was rated No. 1 in the country a few years ago and has never been in the top 10 on subsequent polls. Best I can tell, it is still the same beach. And SeaDream is still the same SeaDream that rated so high a year or so ago. A lot like political polls.:eek:

I always look at the different rankings just out of curiosity.

Stan01 is right on the money IMHO.

I worked for a rather large well know university before moving to NC. We were consistently on this list and that list (and sometimes we were number one on lists that we didn't necessarily want to be on like party school). Realistically I think the only ones who pay attention to those lists are the folks in the marketing departments and the CEO types:p

Agree with Jim and wripro as well ... it's the same SD that we know and love!

The cruise business is very competitive, especially in this fragile economy.

What may be today's hottest ship, can well be passe tomorrow. Change a question in the survey from year to year, and you'll elicit a different response, and this will skew the poll results.

So, are there newer ships than SeaDream I and II, yes. Are there ships with more on-board activities and other amenities than Sea Dream, yes. Are there ships with posher cabins, yes. You are beginning to get the gist of where I am heading.

SeaDream prides itself on its passenger to crew ratio, its "casual" elegance,

outstanding cuisine, and attention to the smallest detail. If these cruise elements pique your interest, than SeaDream will be verrrrrrrrry hard to beat AND it's prices competitive for the product offered.

Book it if you have the chance. You won't be disappointed.

The cruise business is very competitive, especially in this fragile economy.

What may be today's hottest ship, can well be passe tomorrow. Change a question in the survey from year to year, and you'll elicit a different response, and this will skew the poll results.

So, are there newer ships than SeaDream I and II, yes. Are there ships with more on-board activities and other amenities than Sea Dream, yes. Are there ships with posher cabins, yes. You are beginning to get the gist of where I am heading.

SeaDream prides itself on its passenger to crew ratio, its "casual" elegance,

outstanding cuisine, and attention to the smallest detail. If these cruise elements pique your interest, than SeaDream will be verrrrrrrrry hard to beat AND it's prices competitive for the product offered.

Book it if you have the chance. You won't be disappointed.

Exactly, and your point is further enforced by the rumblings on the Seabourn board about Odyssey. All speak of the beauty of the ship but many lament the passing of "everyone knows your name" type service. Hard to have such attention to detail with 450 of your new best friends. Sometimes, smaller is just better.

Jim, I have to take exception with those who lament the "everyone knows your name" service on the Odyssey. I was on the maiden voyage and with rare exception everyone knew my name within two days.

Have never been on board, hope to some day, but just relating what some have posted. Glad to hear they can maintain service. After all, thats what brings us back to SeaDream as well.

J.

Archived