Labadee's Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove

kirracruiser

Just got back from RCI's Freedom of the Seas (8 cruise). Went on the Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove :D My family and I had a great time and totally recommend this excursion at Labadee. We were taken away to a private beach (by far one of the most beautiful ones I have ever seen) and given a tour of a typical Haitian fishing village. This was really awesome to see, especially after all the news coverage of Haiti from the earth quake. We learned how houses were built, different foods were made, and even got to see artists at work making. I felt awesome knowing that with the ticket I purchased I was helping the Haitian people. After the tour we came back to the beach where we had an hour to relax. Clear, beautiful water. Awesome bar and bar tender. They had floating mats and beach chairs all included. It was really great I totally recommend this tour to the young and old. Great for families who want their kids to learn a little something too!:D

I went with a few of my girlfriends and it was the best decision we could have possibly made! Hands down it was the greatest day out of our entire vacation. With this excursion, you get the best of both worlds-- you're enlightened about the history and culture of Haiti, as well as spend time on an undeniably beautiful beach.

As you walk through the typical Haitian village, you're able to see different plants, foods, housing and activities, among other things. We were able to learn directly from Haitians who live this life everyday. They were so friendly and were happy to answer any questions that we had. After our tour of the village, we were able to spend time on the most amazing beach I have ever seen. It is set between mountains on both sides and the clear water is to die for. The privacy of the beach is enough to make you never want to leave and come home to the hustle and bustle that many of us are used to. There's also a fresh, cool water stream that bubbles through the sand and runs right into the ocean water. I had never seen anything like that in my many years of traveling- it was unbelievable.

I loved having the option to relax on the beach chairs set up along the white sand or float around in the water on the mats. We spent some time at the Bamboo Bar after refreshing ourselves in the water. Aside from the Rhum Punch that we were given as we stepped onto the beach from the boat, we enjoyed a few more while talking to our awesome bartender.

The authenticity of this excursion is more than you could ever hope for and if you're a beach lover like me, you will absolutely fall in love with this beach. I urge anyone reading this to go on the excursion to see for themselves. It will be unforgettable, I promise!

We are also going on the Freedom of the Seas at the end of June and Labadee will be our first port of call. I would be interested in getting more information on this excursion.

1) I saw on RCCL's website that this excursion lasts 3 hours. How long is the sightseeing portion versus the beach break?

2) Also, it says that a welcome drink from the beach bar is included. Can we have a soft drink or bottled water?

3) Does this excursion involve a lot of walking or standing in full sun? I am afraid it could be too hot to do this excursion in summer. Furthermore, my husband has fair skin and gets easily sunburned.

4) We have a 10-year-old daughter. Do you think that children of her age would enjoy this excursion?

5) I have read that we should wear water shoes if we go swimming at Labadee as there are rocks and sea urchins in the water. How was the water at Paradise Beach?

6) Are there any washrooms/changing rooms at the beach?

Your response and comments would be greatly appreciated!

Good day! Having just come from Labadee and this excursion I think I can handle this question. Away we go...:cool:

1) I saw on RCCL's website that this excursion lasts 3 hours. How long is the sightseeing portion versus the beach break?

The tour it self lasted a little over an hour and then we had the same amount of time on the beach. The rest of the time (30-45 mins) was used for transportation to and from the site and loading and unloading.

2) Also, it says that a welcome drink from the beach bar is included. Can we have a soft drink or bottled water?

I exchanged my welcome drink (I believe it was either punch or rum punch) for a bottle of water. They also had sodas, beers, and really cool coconut drinks.

3) Does this excursion involve a lot of walking or standing in full sun? I am afraid it could be too hot to do this excursion in summer. Furthermore, my husband has fair skin and gets easily sunburned.

The village itself stands under tons of mango trees. It is completely covered in shade. As for the beach, there is mangroves and trees that hang over the beach where all the chairs are located. Some people were pulling their chairs out in the sun while others kept their chairs in the shade. Plenty of both!

4) We have a 10-year-old daughter. Do you think that children of her age would enjoy this excursion?

My 10 year old loved it. He was able to learn a little something on this cruise which made me feel great.

5) I have read that we should wear water shoes if we go swimming at Labadee as there are rocks and sea urchins in the water. How was the water at Paradise Beach?

6) Are there any washrooms/changing rooms at the beach?

They do have a funky restroom/changing room on site.

Your response and comments would be greatly appreciated!

Hope this all helps. My family is planning another cruise for our next holiday, hoping we can fit Labadee and this excursion in our itinerary!:D

kirracruiser, thank you for the info! This is really helpful!

Would you know if we need water shoes to swim at Paradise Beach?

Also, how many people went on this excursion with your family?

Thanks again!

kirracruiser, thank you for the info! This is really helpful!

Would you know if we need water shoes to swim at Paradise Beach?

Also, how many people went on this excursion with your family?

Thanks again!

Hey there. Definitely don't need water shoes at the beach. Its all beautiful sand, didn't see a single rock! Much better than the beaches at the Labadee site. There were 4 of us who went on the excursion, My husband and I as well as our two children. They fill up quickly, I suggest booking online or as soon as you get on the ship.:D

Hey there. Definitely don't need water shoes at the beach. Its all beautiful sand, didn't see a single rock! Much better than the beaches at the Labadee site. There were 4 of us who went on the excursion, My husband and I as well as our two children. They fill up quickly, I suggest booking online or as soon as you get on the ship.:D

Thank you so much!

Hi all,

Is this a "created" village or actual village? It sounds really good.

Are you back in time for the BBQ lunch?

We will be there in April and we have been to Labadee a few times. This sounds like somethng that we would like.

Trish

who do you book this through? What is the cost? do you still have time to enjoy the rest of Labadee and the BBQ?:confused:

My family and I took the morning tour. We were back before noon and were able to eat at the BBQ :) and walk around for a few hours before we had to be back on the ship. I saw that they also had an afternoon tour as well (I assume after lunch). You can book online (see link below), on the ship, or in Labadee. There is a desk as soon as you get off the pier. Hope this helps!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do;jsessionid=0000q1x_aQA0EdTS4rGRfX6vIiz:13hldcctq?sourcePage=shorexByPort&ProductCode=ZL34&DestinationCode=

• 2 weeks later...

Took this Labadee tour a few weeks ago. Had a great time. The cultural tour was great and my party learned so much. Awesome tour guide kept it very informative and entertaining. Great staff. Beautiful sandy beach with crystal clear water. Delicious rum punch! 5 stars and 2 thumbs up!

• 4 weeks later...

Undoubtedly, one of the better tour excursions in the Caribbean today and take that from a family that has been cruising for many years. This tour has all the elements and at a great value. A must do if you intend to visit this colorful and exotic country. Great snorkeling too off this pristine beach. 5 STAR!

• 2 weeks later...
who do you book this through? What is the cost? do you still have time to enjoy the rest of Labadee and the BBQ?:confused:

SHERRIFL~ Booked this tour onboard the ship at the Excursions Desk, but I'm pretty sure it can be done online through RCCL's website. Also, when checking in at Labadee, there was a couple signing up for the tour at the same desk using their SeaPass card. Cost was $65. I would have paid $85, it was just that good. Wether you are looking for the culture, the beach, or both it was an awesome tour. The tour is 3 hours long so plenty of time to enjoy all Labadee has to offer, as well as that BBQ!

Undoubtedly, one of the better tour excursions in the Caribbean today and take that from a family that has been cruising for many years. This tour has all the elements and at a great value. A must do if you intend to visit this colorful and exotic country. Great snorkeling too off this pristine beach. 5 STAR!

Does the tour include snorkeling equipment?

• 1 month later...

I had the GREAT treat of taking the island tour to Paradise Cove this winter. The company I work for Akwaaba Bed and Breakfast hosted a retreat for the staff to the islands of Jamaica and Haiti...

In the wake of this years tragedy in Haiti, we were apprehensive that the cruise would not be redirected or rescheduled. As soon as we disembarked, I was soooooooo glad I came.

We began to seek out an adventure for the day and very luckily we found, The Haitian Cultural Tour. The name is perfect! We had a wonderful "cultural tour", the guide was very informed and funny... And we all had a very relaxing time on the private beach... My boss napped... I waded in the water and had punch and chatted with some of the islanders. I was able to post some GREAT photos on FB

Tim and Dillon "I'll be Back!" Promise!

KJ!:):):):):)

• 2 months later...

I got back a few weeks ago from a cruise aboard the Oasis of the Seas, and out of all of the ports, Labadee was by far my favorite experience, thanks to the Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove! The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating, extremely informational, and the beach was phenomenal! True paradise. Do yourself a favor and don't bother with the overcrowded beach at the port in Labadee. After the morning Cultural Tour, my group and I decided to take a look at what the port's beach had to offer...it was packed with people and looked like nothing special. The beach at Paradise Cove was quiet, serene, and stunning. Highly suggest this tour on your trip to Labadee!

• 1 month later...

We had a wonderful shore excursion experience on Aug. 27, 2010 - the Haitian Cultural Tour @ Paradise Cove in Labadee. We were passengers on Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas Eastern Caribbean cruise. We had decided prior to this cruise that we wanted to experience the actual culture and people of Haiti, not just the "sanitized" beach, bbq, drinks, and outdoor activities (ziplining, etc.) that Royal Caribbean has at Labadee. Of all the shore excursions offered by RC in Haiti, this was the only one that offered a cultural experience.

We had a fantastic time and would highly recommend this shore excursion! We took the tour that departed at 2:30PM (ate lunch @ Labadee prior to leaving). We were with about 15 others, and took a short narrated boat ride (15 mins. or so) to Paradise Cove, a beautiful little beach with clear warm waters and lovely sandy bottom. You learn the history of Haiti during the boat ride. The boat has to stop aways from the shore, so you wade about knee deep in the water to reach the shore. The staff will help you off and on the boat.

Once ashore, you get to enjoy a refreshing drink at the beach bar, and leave your things on beach chairs (it's a secure beach area). There is plenty of shade from the trees. Then the tour guides begin a 1 hour tour (The 2 guides who led our tour were college students from Port Au Prince - their college was destroyed in the earthquake. They were wonderful tour guides - absolutely delightful, and very knowledgeable!) You learn all about the variety of plant life, and how the Haitian people use every possible part of the plant (they waste nothing). You'll tour a small village and meet the people who live there. You'll learn how they make lobster traps from bamboo, how they make peanut butter (free samples!), how they make bread, and more. You'll see what the homes are made from. You'll get to see artisans making their crafts (paintings, carvings, etc.), and enjoy some singing and dancing from the villagers. (If you want to purchase something, you can - there is no high pressure selling at all.)

We met a Haitian family (mom, dad, 3 beautiful young daughters) who touched our hearts. Even though they have endured such struggles and tragedy, the smiles never left their faces (or ours). The little girls gave us hugs, and put flowers in my hair.

At the end of the tour, you will get to spend the rest of the time (about an hour) relaxing at the gorgeous beach (there are floating beach mats). We chose to spend our time talking with the college student tour guides and the young man (Dillon) who operates this tour. We wanted to learn as much as we could about Haiti and its culture. We exchanged e-mail addresses with them so that we could send them our digital photographs. We learned that many families have no photographs of themselves and really appreciate getting pictures. Dillon promised to print out the photos that we took to give to everyone.

Finally, we waded back out to the boat for the return trip to the main dock at Labadee. It was just the greatest experience, and the highlight of our cruise vacation.

Kind of ironic... as we were pulling up to the dock, here came another boat full of cruisers - it was the "Rum Rendezvous" excursion - these folks had been out partying all afternoon. We were just thinking to ourselves that these people had missed out on such a heartfelt & touching experience (You can have a rum party anytime!), and we were so happy that we had chosen the Haitian Cultural Tour for our shore excursion.

So glad to read your post. We too have booked this excursion for our upcoming cruise. DD has been to Haiti twice this past year with an aid group on the other side of the island. The people are just so humble, and always smiling and they have hardly anything. You are right when you say people miss out. :)

We booked this in advance as I understand this one fills up quickly. The reason we chose this excursion is because of all the great reviews. I concur with the reviews. The whole family really enjoyed this one! We headed to a private beach, Paradise Cove, which was absolutely gorgeous! They offer you complimentary punch, with or without rum. The 45 tour was very interesting and educational. Once the tour is complete you are left to enjoy the beach and bar for about an hour. Lounge chairs and floaters are provided. I could have spent the entire day, maybe even week, here. They boat you back to main beach area after where we enjoyed the buffet lunch right on the beach. I highly recommend this excursion.

We booked the Haitian Cultural Tour in advance as I understand this one fills up quickly. The reason we chose this excursion is because of all the great reviews I've read. I concur with the reviews. The whole family really enjoyed this one! We headed to a private beach, Paradise Cove, which was absolutely gorgeous! They offer you complimentary punch, with or without rum. The 45 tour was very interesting and educational. The staff were very friendly, informative, and helpful. Once the tour is complete we were left to enjoy the beach and bar for about an hour. Lounge chairs and floaters are provided. I would have liked to spend the entire day here. They boat you back to main beach area after where we enjoyed the buffet lunch right on the beach (compliments of RC. There are morning and afternoon tours but either way you won't miss lunch. I highly recommend this excursion. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived