Not Amazed

Redtravel

Just disembarked yesterday from the Journey. On line and on the ship, they keep boasting about being Amazed. On the ship there was no information about the new changes in the LCV program. I was certainly amazed when I connected to Internet at home. Checking email for my Azanara survey, I was amazed when I read the email announcing the new changes. Needless to say, I am not Amazed. The amazing cruise critic reception was almost nonexistent...about 10 minutes with no way to introduce ourselves thank you for coming...and now leave. Welcome to the Journey? On other cruises we got to pass the microphone around to tell our online names . It was a great place to meet other cruise critics that did not happen. It seems like Azamara dislikes cruisecritic. Lots of people on the cruise said that they would express their opinions about the poor reception for cruise critics.

Just disembarked yesterday from the Journey. On line and on the ship, they keep boasting about being Amazed. On the ship there was no information about the new changes in the LCV program. I was certainly amazed when I connected to Internet at home. Checking email for my Azanara survey, I was amazed when I read the email announcing the new changes. Needless to say, I am not Amazed. The amazing cruise critic reception was almost nonexistent...about 10 minutes with no way to introduce ourselves thank you for coming...and now leave. Welcome to the Journey? On other cruises we got to pass the microphone around to tell our online names . It was a great place to meet other cruise critics that did not happen. It seems like Azamara dislikes cruisecritic. Lots of people on the cruise said that they would express their opinions about the poor reception for cruise critics.

I totally agree Roberta. We have travelled 4 times now with Azamara so know what normally happens at these events.

I keep reading that there needs to be a minimum number for CC meetings to happen. Well, Tony Markey, our Cruise Director announced that there were 80 something people had signed up for the meeting (there was actually not that number present) , he then said that normally the microphone would be passed round so we could all introduce ourselves, however there was too many people to do that so "just talk amongst yourselves" and left!!!!!

I did corner him about it the following day...obviously I was not the first!! He had no excuse.

It was a disgraceful way to treat a great many people who support Azamara.

Not surprising really following the recent announcement of the cancellation of all the worthwhile perks of the LCV programme.

So to all of you who don't have the required number signed up...don't worry 'cos if it's no better than we got, you are as well without.

That's not good at all.:eek: Both roll calls that I'm on, the people are really looking forward to the meet & mingle.

Weren't any officers present? The last time we had drinks and appetizers. I thought it was fun. We have more than enough signed up to attend.

Edited to add we have Tony as our CD on both legs of our b2b.

Edited by midwestchick

I'm sorry your CC party was a dud. I was on the cruise prior to yours (Journey, 8/8, British Isles) and the Cruise Critic party had maybe 40 participants and we all introduced ourselves. I stayed until the end and met everyone in attendance. Found it enjoyable and well worthwhile.

I can't explain what might have been going on on your cruise, but on behalf of all us, I apologize for the slight.

The amazing cruise critic reception was almost nonexistent...about 10 minutes with no way to introduce ourselves thank you for coming...and now leave. Welcome to the Journey? On other cruises we got to pass the microphone around to tell our online names . It was a great place to meet other cruise critics that did not happen. It seems like Azamara dislikes cruisecritic. Lots of people on the cruise said that they would express their opinions about the poor reception for cruise critics.

That's a shame. On all the CC meetings I've attended it have been nicely run. Perhaps it was an off day with other events happening or maybe it was the personalities involved.

I have to say that with the behaviour of the odd cruiser at the meeting it has made me feel somewhat embarrassed to be a part of Cruise Critic. A bunch of complaints from people who didn't feel well treated makes me cringe to be honest and sure won't help the dislike if it exists. I've been part of too many roll calls that consider being a member of Cruise Critic gives them more importance. I don't think we should put too much onus on the cruiseline if it's a bit flat at the meeting. It's up to all of the CCers to get the most out of it for themselves. Just my opinion.

Phil

I just returned from the same cruise. The Cruise Critic M&M was disgraceful. There was no meet and there was no mingle.

After a few brief speeches by Tony and Ryszard about how important Cruise Critic is to Azamara, they walked out. I caught up with Tony and asked him why we couldn't do the usual introductions and he said that the room was needed for a cast rehearsal and that there were too many people. No apology. He said that he had been up since 5:30 and was tired.

There may have been a large invitation list for the M&M, but there weren't an overwhelming number who showed up, perhaps 60. Introductions would have been easy to do.

I've been to lots of M&Ms - and everyone got a chance to introduce themselves.

We didn't attend to drink another glass of free booze, we attended to meet the people on our roll call. It didn't happen.

I have found in general things are not done the same with Tony on either ship.. Russ is the best.. everything is done right. .but I am very surprised at Richard. .alsl heather and others not there. maybe there was something going on... behind the sences.. but rude. .no way

/COLOR]

I have found in general things are not done the same with Tony on either ship.. Russ is the best.. everything is done right. .but I am very surprised at Richard. .alsl heather and others not there. maybe there was something going on... behind the sences.. but rude. .no way

/COLOR]

That certainly isn't a good thing to read about a CD. We had Eric the last time and he was a hoot. He kept things moving very well at the white night party. He really seems to enjoy his job.

Our meet and mingle on Journey in June was great. Eric was the CD and he attended and introduced himself then everyone introduced themselves. We stayed for quite a while chatting and meeting up with others we had chatted with online. :D

We were also on Journey 20 August cruise and were appalled at the way the Meet and Mingle was conducted. On previous cruises it has always been held in the Looking Glass but this time it was in the Cabaret lounge, not such a nice venue. I can understand that with 80 people expected, passing the mic around for introductions might take too long but what really annoyed me was the fact that we were asked to vacate the lounge after 20 mins to make way for rehearsals.

At the end of the cruise I was watching Tony's final talk on the TV giving details on disembarkation. He kept mentioning Social media and how we can keep up to date with Azamara, Face Book and Twitter were continually mentioned, but never Cruise Critic.

That's a shame. On all the CC meetings I've attended it have been nicely run. Perhaps it was an off day with other events happening or maybe it was the personalities involved.

I have to say that with the behaviour of the odd cruiser at the meeting it has made me feel somewhat embarrassed to be a part of Cruise Critic. A bunch of complaints from people who didn't feel well treated makes me cringe to be honest and sure won't help the dislike if it exists. I've been part of too many roll calls that consider being a member of Cruise Critic gives them more importance. I don't think we should put too much onus on the cruiseline if it's a bit flat at the meeting. It's up to all of the CCers to get the most out of it for themselves. Just my opinion.

Phil

As always, a voice of reason, Phil.

While I think the Amazing changes are anything but, I agree that because of the whining that goes on at some of these CC/MM's have become uncomfortable enough to the point that I normally pass them by. While in a minority, some of these "self important" folks seem to dominate the get together. What they don't seem to realize is that the good folks from these boards are but a small minority of the cruising public.

I was sorry to hear that Tony had offended some at the unfortunate Meet and Mingle that was described. We have taken 16 cruises with Azamara and met all three CDs and have been impressed by their professionalism, warmth and kindness. Of course they all have different personalities and do not become fake 'cardboard cut outs' but I would not single any one out as best.

We have noticed at times that each has been 'below par' and have attributed it to them maybe having a cold, exhaustion or stress. They are human beings not robots and I hope Tony will be forgiven.

It is what it is. It was very clear on the aug. 20 Journey sailing that cruise critics were forgotten. I remember a cruise on the Journey when we had 4 get togethers given by the cruise. CD was John Howell. He knew how to keep everyone happy.phillip was the HD

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to hear of the disappointing Meet & Mingles of late. When I sailed on Journey last - which was a few years ago.... there was a huge turnout - probably 100 or more guests, and most every officer attended, including Captain Johannes, Hotel Director Heike, and Cruise director Tony. IMO, Azamara could not have done a better job.

As for Tony Markey, I think he's a wonderful Cruise Director. No idea why they seem to be paying less attention to the Meet and Mingle, but I hope it's more of a one off situation.

Being that Bonnie has replied, I hope she will share the comments with Miami and the onboard teams.

It is what it is. It was very clear on the aug. 20 Journey sailing that cruise critics were forgotten. I remember a cruise on the Journey when we had 4 get togethers given by the cruise. CD was John Howell. He knew how to keep everyone happy.phillip was the HD

John Howell was an excellent CD. I also remember him from many years with Celebrity. Hope he's doing well.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to hear of the disappointing Meet & Mingles of late. When I sailed on Journey last - which was a few years ago.... there was a huge turnout - probably 100 or more guests, and most every officer attended, including Captain Johannes, Hotel Director Heike, and Cruise director Tony. IMO, Azamara could not have done a better job.

As for Tony Markey, I think he's a wonderful Cruise Director. No idea why they seem to be paying less attention to the Meet and Mingle, but I hope it's more of a one off situation.

Being that Bonnie has replied, I hope she will share the comments with Miami and the onboard teams.

Let's hope so, Andy. We sail in two weeks and have two M&M's planned and our roll call members seem excited about it. Some of them are brand new to Azamara so I hope they are not disappointed. The situation should be remedied right away since Tony is the CD on a number of the Journey cruises until Eric returns.

I do hope this is not a ploy to get rid of the M&M's.

John Howell was an excellent CD. I also remember him from many years with Celebrity. Hope he's doing well.

yes, he was a great CD!

Were have fond memories of him on a Journey TA (2009) we took.

He and the crew put on a wonderful Christmas show towards the end of the cruise that we still talk about! :)

does anyone know if he is still working as a CD on any other cruise line?

I was also on the August 20th sailing and found the Cruise Critic meeting a disappointment. Without the introductions, what is the point? I found that Tony was almost invisible throughout the cruise. He seemed to be busier entertaining family members on board than he was at doing his job. Shows were either not introduced, or they were introduced by Joe. Unlike Eric, Tony made very rare appearances.

I was also on the August 20th sailing and found the Cruise Critic meeting a disappointment. Without the introductions, what is the point? I found that Tony was almost invisible throughout the cruise. He seemed to be busier entertaining family members on board than he was at doing his job. Shows were either not introduced, or they were introduced by Joe. Unlike Eric, Tony made very rare appearances.

:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

That's what a CD gets paid for?????? That is so wrong in so many ways.

I wonder how many of us could have kept a job if this is how we behaved.

i have to agree wih all of this.. i was on the cruise before but sail away was so warm i spent over an hour outsiide enjoying it.

Of the 3 CD's i think he does his job but he was the only one who did not hug me good bye. No, he does not have to but others do.

Tony was the CD on our first cruise and we were impressed. We commented that he seemed to be everywhere! Russ was good on our 2nd cruise but Tony was better IMO. Hopefully, whatever had Tony distracted is only temporary.

Of the 3 CD's i think he does his job but he was the only one who did not hug me good bye. No, he does not have to but others do.

Not everyone is a "hugger".

I'm on Journey at the beginning of October. Not sure if Eric is back by then, but if it is Tony I have no issues. I've always found him very personable. This is a complete storm in a tea cup.

Phil

Well said Phil. Bearing in mind all the infection risks hugs should never be expected from any member of staff

I don't always get the humour and style of US directors like Russ, I totally get Tony's way but then I'm a minority Brit (at least for a few more days). However I would not dismiss Russ just because he seems more interested in others as was the case last cruise or because I did not like his humour.

Big world out there lots of ways are right!

Edited by uktog

Not everyone is a "hugger".

I'm on Journey at the beginning of October. Not sure if Eric is back by then, but if it is Tony I have no issues. I've always found him very personable. This is a complete storm in a tea cup.

Phil

It appears that Eric will be on board.

Oddly, on our last cruise we had very limited contact with him. But I'm certain that had more to do with our movements than his.

Certainly, he was a great performer in the Cabaret.