Fairmont Waterfront or Fairmont Vancouver?

We plan to use American Airlines miles to stay two nights in Vancouver next August prior to our Alaskan cruise on the Serenade of the Seas. Both the Fairmont Waterfront and Fairmont Vancouver are available at the same point level.

I would appreciate it if anyone who lives in Vancouver, or has stayed at these hotels, could help me differentiate between them and decide which one would best meet our needs. Some relevant background info:

- We're sailing out of Ballantyne Pier (not Canada Place)

- We'll be traveling with two young boys, so if rooms at one hotel are measurably larger, that could be a deciding factor

- We won't have a car and would like to be able to walk to most local attractions

- We'd like to be near restaurants, cafes, etc. that are more suitable for children (rather than eating in stuffy hotel restaurants)

- Although this may not be possible, we love being able to wake up the morning of our departure and see our ship come in

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Hi there

- Both of these hotels are in downtown Vancouver so will require you to taxi or shuttle to Ballantyne Pier.

- The Waterfront is right across the street from Canada Place, so if you got a room facing the water, you might see the ship sail by on its way further inland to Ballantyne.

- The Fairmont Vancouver is an older hotel (one of the former CP hotels) so I would guess the rooms might be smaller there. I have stayed in a corner room at the Waterfront that was quite large with a very nice large bathroom (On the website I see they call it their "Signature" room.)

- Location of both hotels is good for walking to most attractions (Stanley Park, Vancouver Aquarium, etc.) Fairmont Vancouver is closer to Robson Street where you will find good shopping and many restaurants.

Hope that helps your decision!

• 2 weeks later...

Besides being a gorgeous hotel, and close to shopping, restaurants, etc., the Fairmont Vancouver has a wonderful restaurant, the Griffins, where we ate last month. Their all you can eat dessert buffet (that comes with your dinner) is wonderful & you & your boys will love it! If you have an Entertainment book, they have a 2 for 1 dinner coupon for the Griffins Restaurant.

Archived