Turkeys at Sea: What Is the Worst Idea in the History of Cruise Travel?

Dan Askin

What is the worst idea -- or turkey -- in the history of cruise travel?  

1,184 members have voted

1. 1. What is the worst idea -- or turkey -- in the history of cruise travel?

• NCL America's Hawaii Cruise Failure
    • Carnival's 700-Watt Hairdryer Ban
    • Calling a Ship "Unsinkable" (Titanic)
    • Carnival Banning Bottled Water From Being Brought Onboard
    • RCI Taking Perks From Its Most Loyal Passengers
    • Azamara Launching a Ship Before It's, Um, Ready
    • Carnival's Profit-Draining Non-Smoking Mega-Ship
    • Oasis of the Seas' Foiled Blimp Experiment
    • Royal Caribbean's For-Fee MDR Steak Debacle
    • Norwegian Epic's See-Through Bathrooms
    • Other - Please Post

Did it sound like a good idea at the time? Banning people from bringing bottled water onboard? Taking away hard-earned perks from your most loyal passengers?

As our thoughts turn to roasted turkey, cranberry sauce and a side of calling a ship "unsinkable," we wonder: In all of cruise travel, which ideas will go down as the greatest turkeys of them all? Read about the choices on our list and then vote!

I love the originality of your poll (and I agree with the Titanic comment), but I might suggest you give a little context or info about some of the poll options. I (and I suspect other people) have no clue what happened on some of these cruises that you referenced. And I'm way too lazy to look it up for myself. Just a suggestion... :o

My TA was very unhappy with the interior balconies on the Oasis. Said people were sitting across from her in underwear and towels not realizing that they were also exposing themselves!!! Ewww...So interior balconies may be a bad plan....

Definitely the Titanic. All the other options are just inconveniences or things that didn't really effect many people. Calling a ship unsinkable and then that ship sinking and killing so many people may never be topped in the cruising world when it comes to bad ideas.

I love the originality of your poll (and I agree with the Titanic comment), but I might suggest you give a little context or info about some of the poll options. I (and I suspect other people) have no clue what happened on some of these cruises that you referenced. And I'm way too lazy to look it up for myself. Just a suggestion... :o

You're absolutely right, so we'll be directing people to read the related piece!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4247

Click the link, 'Read all about the choices on our list' on Dan's post. It provides a background on the choices.

Sorry, didn't realize what that meant, because it doesn't link up for me...

OP, not sure where you got some of your information but there is some misinformation in the poll: Carnival has not banned passangers from bringing on bottled water. Current policy per the Carnival web site is passangers may bring on 12 sodas and 12 bottles of water in their carry on bag per person.

Thanks for the link, Dan! I have never heard most of those stories before. Thanks for the great read. Very interesting.

I'm still going to agree the the Titanic was the biggest 'turkey' of all time, though.

OP, not sure where you got some of your information but there is some misinformation in the poll: Carnival has not banned passangers from bringing on bottled water. Current policy per the Carnival web site is passangers may bring on 12 sodas and 12 bottles of water in their carry on bag per person.

The article relates to PAST policies.

I voted for the NCL/Hawaii debacle. But, I had an additional reason not mentioned in the recap provided in the voting summary.

I **believe** it was due to the NCL Hawaii itinerary that the PVSA was reviewed, with proposed amendments/crackdowns about the need for a foreign flagged ship to stop at a remote foreign port, as opposed to just a foreign port. NCL was unhappy with competition from lines which sailed to Hawaii from the mainland, and made a "service call" in Ensenada to purportedly comply with the PVSA.

If pressed to its logical conclusion, this objection could have ended Alaska cruises from Seattle, as Victoria B.C. is/was not a remote foreign port.

Titantic was NOT declared "unsinkable" until AFTER the ship sank, and was only done so the newspapers!!!!

Please, please, PLEEEASE do not follow the movie Titantic as historical fact.:mad: White Star never stated that the Titantic was unsinkable.

So really, that option should be removed from this poll. Sorry but it irks me when history is skewed by Hollywood.

Titantic was NOT declared "unsinkable" until AFTER the ship sank, and was only done so the newspapers!!!!

Please, please, PLEEEASE do not follow the movie Titantic as historical fact.:mad: White Star never stated that the Titantic was unsinkable.

So really, that option should be removed from this poll. Sorry but it irks me when history is skewed by Hollywood.

There were, however, a number of comments, articles, ads that could certainly be construed to mean it was unsinkable and they were dated before 1912. Soooooo, maybe the U word should never have been used in any instance by White Star.;):)

http://www.historyonthenet.com/Titanic/unsinkable.htm

Hi pseudochicken, we certainly do explicitly mention the confusing origins of the usage in our piece -- definitely not simply running with info from "Titanic" the movie (slide 3: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4247).

This is supposed to be funny???? There are too many "sick" people in this world. The people that came up with this idea, do they know the history behind the disaster of the Titanic? If they do, then they are "realllllly sick".

The other choices, to me, were just plain silly but my choice was not funny!!!!:rolleyes:

Archived