Anyone done a scenic flight to Sossusvlei Namibia

rojaan19

We will be in Walvis Bay Namibia - one of the options is a scenic flight to Sossusvlei - it is quite expensive - so I am wondering if anyone has done this trip and what was it like ?

Thanks

hi Rojaan, Ill be interested in the reply as well, Ill be there in april and there seems to be a dearth of offerrings to do there.

Just as an aside...

My eyes lit up when I saw your listing of the MIKHAIL LERMENTOV 1988 trip on your signature. Being a kiwi and having a strong interest in shipping ...I have an interest in her founderring...though...correct me if im wrong but didnt she sink in 1986????

Just as an aside...

My eyes lit up when I saw your listing of the MIKHAIL LERMENTOV 1988 trip on your signature. Being a kiwi and having a strong interest in shipping ...I have an interest in her founderring...though...correct me if im wrong but didnt she sink in 1986????

You are definitely right Roscoe - the Mikhail Lermentov definitely did sink in 1986 !! :o Thats what I get for going by my memory ! After much searching in the storage cupboard I came up with a photo of our family group of 9 on the Alexandr Pushkin :D That cruise was so bad it put me off cruising for 8 years !

I corrected my signature poste haste, thanks.

You are definitely right Roscoe - the Mikhail Lermentov definitely did sink in 1986 !! :o Thats what I get for going by my memory ! After much searching in the storage cupboard I came up with a photo of our family group of 9 on the Alexandr Pushkin :D That cruise was so bad it put me off cruising for 8 years !

I corrected my signature poste haste, thanks.

damn and bother...it was asked with all due respect, I was just going to give you 20 questions about her if you had been on board. I remember her very well and following her tragic founderring and the subsequent scandal closely. sorry... the alexandr puskin didnt have quite the same appeal....lol..

Hi ! We were there 5 years ago and we climbed a dune to get a fantastic view of the surroundings ! I have seen all kinds of deserts and lived in the middlle of one for 3 years but this one is special !

We tried to fly over the dunes at sunrise but the flight was cancelled just before take-off ! It seems to be quite common over there !

I do not know how much time you have ,, but if you could drive there ( about 5 hours if I remember ) it would be worthwhile and the scenery is gorgeous !

Hi ! We were there 5 years ago and we climbed a dune to get a fantastic view of the surroundings ! I have seen all kinds of deserts and lived in the middlle of one for 3 years but this one is special !

We tried to fly over the dunes at sunrise but the flight was cancelled just before take-off ! It seems to be quite common over there !

I do not know how much time you have ,, but if you could drive there ( about 5 hours if I remember ) it would be worthwhile and the scenery is gorgeous !

hi....thanks for your input....there is a dune trip closer than the 5 hour one, called dune 7 or 9 or something...apparently it is the main one...do you think it is worth it? ive seen a lot of desert in my time so it would have to be pretty amazing to me to be worth it...

That is the dune we climbed ! Very interesting ! It took us a bit more than 1 hour climbing up and sliding back !

What made the tour even more interesting was that we spent one hour with a native who gave us explanations about wildlife in the desert , how dunes are created and how they move and we spent another hour walking over and around a dried lake between two dunes !

The scenary between the sea and the dunes was also very impressive specially that we found ourselves in the middle of a small desrt storm for half an hour !

That is the dune we climbed ! Very interesting ! It took us a bit more than 1 hour climbing up and sliding back !

What made the tour even more interesting was that we spent one hour with a native who gave us explanations about wildlife in the desert , how dunes are created and how they move and we spent another hour walking over and around a dried lake between two dunes !

The scenary between the sea and the dunes was also very impressive specially that we found ourselves in the middle of a small desrt storm for half an hour !

thanks,.I think it is the sort of country you need to do an excursion y the ship and youve helped me narrow it down to the dune or the township...

regards roscoe

Archived