Favorite Cultural Food from Ports

TXHillbillyGirl

Anyone have favorites in MoBay, Mexico or Grand Caymans? We will hitting these ports in a few weeks.

Was told about a Jamacian Meat Pie. I like anything fried. So, definately tried that.

MoBay - Jerk for one. Meat pies or meat patties are both good.

Mexico - Cozumel - ceviche de camarrons, cochonita pibil and churros for desert

Cayman Islands - stewed goat or oxtail with dumplings, beans and rice (very typical all over the Caribbean) :)

MoBay - Jerk for one. Meat pies or meat patties are both good.

Mexico - Cozumel - ceviche de camarrons, cochonita pibil and churros for desert

Cayman Islands - stewed goat or oxtail with dumplings, beans and rice (very typical all over the Caribbean) :)

That's funny that they eat oxtail. My husband is from Arkansas and loves them. I thought it was a hillbilly thing...lol He will definately try that!

What is flying fish?..lol

They are a pretty tasty fish that jump out of the water and glide for a short distance. They swim in schools and if you're kayaking you can end up getting hit by a couple of dozen of them at once

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rtu_K4F6ES0/S84eZQZGCII/AAAAAAAAALA/iwdmv5U9ftQ/s1600/flying_fish2.JPG

They are a pretty tasty fish that jump out of the water and glide for a short distance. They swim in schools and if you're kayaking you can end up getting hit by a couple of dozen of them at once

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rtu_K4F6ES0/S84eZQZGCII/AAAAAAAAALA/iwdmv5U9ftQ/s1600/flying_fish2.JPG

Wow, those suckers are weird! .. lol

Thanks for the links. Now I know.... but not sure if I want to eat it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes love flying fish in Barbados! Im not sure if it is the flying fish itself or the "stuff"/marinade they soak it in before. You can buy the marinade in jars, and it consists of garlic, onion, scallion, thyme, lime, etc etc, etc! Anyway, love the flying fish, but love most all Caribbean food.

I love street food!, and have never gotten sick from it. In Barbados and St Lucia, I got hooked on Roti! Thick tortilla type dough, with a curried filling. Im not vegetarian, but my favorite was the vegetable Roti.

I had jerk chicken a couple of years ago in Jamaica, my first visit to that island, and while it was just a beach bbq and Im sure there exists better in Jamaica, I was not disappointed.

Also the best ever empanadas from a street vendor in San Juan Puerto Rico. Oh my they were good. I had beef and chicken empanadas.

That's funny that they eat oxtail. My husband is from Arkansas and loves them. I thought it was a hillbilly thing...lol He will definately try that!

Oxtail is used a lot in Eastern European Jewish cooking - pretty far from hillbilly!

My mother would never make it though, she said it was the food of the poorest of the poor.

Every winter I promise myself that I will go to the Christian Arab butcher down the block and buy some (see, they use it too!) for soup, but I haven't yet.

• 10 months later...

We are going to be on Mediterranean cruise and looking for private tours that are food oriented - especially in Tuscany (port of Livorno)m Athens and Sicily. Any great tours that are food related or guides that got the food part and not just museums that you might suggest?

You absolutely without a doubt must try the boullabaise in Villefraiche or Marsaille if you stop in either of these ports in the Med. It will be the best you ever tasted and will ruin your taste for it anyplace else in the world for real!

If you go to Florence, you must try to very fresh tomato bruschetta at a trattoria along any sidestreet in the main part of town. Its absolutely divine.

Anywhere in Jamaica

Hubby likes

fried plantains and

The patty----- is to Jamaicans what the hamburger is to Americans. Ask any Jamaican and he’ll tell you his favorite patty stand. This fried pie is filled with either spicy meat or, occasionally, vegetables.

I LOVE

Festival -This bread is frequently served with jerk and is similar to hush puppies.

and I like Bammy - fried bread that is made from cassava flour and is served with fried fish.

Good fried fish being fresh roadside Red Snapper!

• 3 weeks later...
You absolutely without a doubt must try the boullabaise in Villefraiche or Marsaille if you stop in either of these ports in the Med. It will be the best you ever tasted and will ruin your taste for it anyplace else in the world for real!

If you go to Florence, you must try to very fresh tomato bruschetta at a trattoria along any sidestreet in the main part of town. Its absolutely divine.

When you say ruin your taste for it anyplace else - that is what happened when I ate the Crabcakes at Etta's in Seattle. Haven't even considered ordering them since.:eek:

Cracked conch in either Key West or the Bahamas. The meat is pounded out very thin to tenderize it then breaded and fried. If done right you can cut it with a fork and it tastes a lot like abalone.

Archived