Infinity or Star?

franosu

We are trying to decide which cruise to take. Have been on Princess and Celebrity before and we like both lines - DW prefers Celeb. Both cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso during March of 2009.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Is your decision based on the ship or the ports? Celebrity (15-day) and Princess (12-day) have different itineraries.

Princess calls on Stanley, Falkland Islands whereas Celebrity does not.

Celebrity calls on La Serena (Coquimbo), Chile; Puerto Madryn, Argentina; and Punta del Este, Uruguay whereas Princess does not.

Hi franosu,

We picked Celebrity based on the itinerary Feb 1, 2009 sailing (which is likely the same as March 1 that you are considering.

It IS scheduled to go to the Falklands (we just have to leave that in the hands of the weather gods). The 14 day itinerary has a great mix of sea days and ports and three opportunities for penguin viewings out of Puerto Madryn, Port Stanley & Punta Arenas.

My only reservation was the pod problems that M class ships have had. But in the end, the ship, the itinerary, and the date swayed us to Celebrity.

Dot

Hi franosu,

We picked Celebrity based on the itinerary Feb 1, 2009 sailing (which is likely the same as March 1 that you are considering.

It IS scheduled to go to the Falklands (we just have to leave that in the hands of the weather gods). The 14 day itinerary has a great mix of sea days and ports and three opportunities for penguin viewings out of Puerto Madryn, Port Stanley & Punta Arenas.

My only reservation was the pod problems that M class ships have had. But in the end, the ship, the itinerary, and the date swayed us to Celebrity.

Dot

Hi franosu,

To clarify, Which sailings are you thinking of exactly in March 2009?

March 1 2009 Infinity on Celebrity's website shows:

Buenos Aires, Argentina, Montevideo, Uruguay, Punta Del Este, Uruguay, Puerto Madryn, Argentina, Ushuaia, Argentina, Cape Horn, Chile, Punta Arenas, Chile, Strait Of Magellan, Chilean Fjords, Puerto Montt, Chile, Valparaiso, Chile

This cruise doesn't stop at La Serena but I don't see where it stops at Falklands either?

Princess.com doesn't show a sailing going from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso in March 2009, does it?

We are considering Infinity from Buenos Aires on March 1, 2009 or Star from Santiago on March 2, 2009. The Star ends in Buenos Aires and the Infinity ends in Santiago. It appears that the Infinity does not go to the Faulklands but visits several more ports. The Princess web site indicates that the Star has about seven sea days (if I am reading correctly). Is the Faulklands a "do not miss" port? I have read that the port is often missed because of sea conditions.

Thanks,

Mark and Phyllis

We are trying to decide which cruise to take. Have been on Princess and Celebrity before and we like both lines - DW prefers Celeb.

Geez, I hate make decisions between like this --like choosing between red apples or green. :confused:

So maybe your decision will come down to other things like being able to get the cabin you want or using those frequent flier miles to get flights or even pre- or post-cruise arrangements. Or maybe you will get a better deal on similar accommodations from one cruise-line that would tip the balance.

[Though I have to admit that there are just times when, all else being equal, I go with hubby's preference, because it makes him happy. ]

We just returned from the 15 day BA to Santiago Celebrity Infinity cruise and it was wonderful. We loved every minute. The ship was lovely, the service was excellent and the ports of call were all great. We were very lucky to have excellent weather for the entire cruise and we would certainly recommend Infinity highly. By the way, whichever cruise you choose, if you can, get a window or balcony. The scenery is so spectacular (Cape Horn, Strait of Magellan, Chilean fjords) and sometimes being on the top deck is too windy and tiring. Its so much nicer to be able to enjoy the views from your cabin

We are trying to decide which cruise to take. Have been on Princess and Celebrity before and we like both lines - DW prefers Celeb. Both cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso during March of 2009.

This cruise doesn't stop at La Serena but I don't see where it stops at Falklands either?

Sorry, A. Emgee I didn't go to the website to check the itinerary on Celebrity - I was thinking they kept repeating the same stops, but obviously that is not so. You are right - NO Falklands onthe date the OP is asking about.

Dot

Sorry, A. Emgee I didn't go to the website to check the itinerary on Celebrity - I was thinking they kept repeating the same stops, but obviously that is not so. You are right - NO Falklands onthe date the OP is asking about.

Dot

No need to apologize, Dot... I got it wrong too!

As for the Falklands, it's a hit and miss destination in terms of going there due to the wind. To be honest, any of the southern ports can be hit or miss! The wind from the Antarctic current is incredible. We missed Ushuaia due to wind. In Punta Arenas, they sometimes have to rope off the main square because the wind is so strong! If you like to see large, colourful penguins and don't plan on visiting Antarctica, then I would say Volunteer Point in the Falkland Islands is a "must-see." There are THOUSANDS of penguins everywhere and most are fascinating and pretty King penguins. It made the trip to Otway Bay from Punta Arenas not worth the time and cost! The best thing is that the penguins are there all year round - just ask Gixer, who lives in Stanley. At the other ports (Punta Arenas, Puerto Madryn), the penguins may be few in number by March.

Franosu, if you are not interested in penguins at all, then perhaps the cruise on Infinity may be more appealing because it has more ports. For example, Punta del Este is probably the most chic beach resort in South America.

Hope the information helps...

UGH!!!

I saw this thread, and thought I am having the same dilemma. I saw last night that I could have booked the Princess for December for about $500 cheaper than I booked the Celebrity Infinity. That is mainly due to the fact on that particular cruise Princess is NOT charging 200% solo. (side note they aren't doing that on my summer cruise either..so they do pick and choose to give better deals on some)

However, I chose Celebrity for the ports. Also, I figured the Falklands could easily be cancelled, so I hate to book Princess for that. Also, I wasn't aware of the cut they were giving solo travelers. Now, I am not sure what to do.

Princess is Rio to Santiago. Celebrity is Santiago to Buenos Aires. I am not keen on the city of Rio, but it is ok to fly in and get on the ship.

The problem with the Infinity is what is making me wonder what I should be doing.

Take a couple less ports, save some money, and go on Princess or stick with what I have. decisions.....decisions.....decisions......

I just noticed several of you have booked the Infinity for dates after I booked. Thus, I guess you aren't going to waste time worrying about the pod problems. :) I guess I will stay with Infinity and try not to worry about it.

I hope if it develops issues, it develops them prior to final payment due.

I just noticed several of you have booked the Infinity for dates after I booked. Thus, I guess you aren't going to waste time worrying about the pod problems. :) I guess I will stay with Infinity and try not to worry about it.

I hope if it develops issues, it develops them prior to final payment due.

I wanted to see what else had been said here on CC about the pod problem and found this thread (sorry about the bold, I can't get rid of it): Thread Discussing Rolls Royce Mermaid Pod ("Pod") Issues Affecting Celebrity Vessels http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=519029 It is one of the 'stickies' in the Celebrity forum and is a lengthy ongoing discussion of the problem.

I'll play the odds; we are booked on the Infinity in January. I suppose that this far out we could change but we have been happy with our past cruises on X and are sticking with the familiar.

We have been on both ships and prefer the Infinity and Celebrity! But let the itinerary drive your decision. The Star is good enough, if you like that itinerary better. We picked it for our last Med cruise over the Millennium because of the itinerary and have no regrets.

Princess is Rio to Santiago. Celebrity is Santiago to Buenos Aires. I am not keen on the city of Rio, but it is ok to fly in and get on the ship.

The problem with the Infinity is what is making me wonder what I should be doing.

Take a couple less ports, save some money, and go on Princess or stick with what I have. decisions.....decisions.....decisions......

Hey Jen,

We were looking at the very same cruises. In the end we decided on Infinity b/c we LOVED Infinity to Alaska and we really preferred the stop at the Falklands (hopefully we will stop there!!) Also I think you have to get some kind of a Visa for Brazil - so it's another 'savings' to go with Celebrity!!

Archived