Plastic wrapped luggage on return from EZE

floridatravelersforlife

We landed at EZE this week prior to our Antarctic Cruise on the Infinity. We noticed that there is a curbside service for departures that plastic/shrink wraps your luggage before you drop off your luggage at the airline.

Understandably it adds security, but is it also a red flag - come and steal me? Anyone have positives or negatives on spending $10Ar per bag?

The locals seem to use it for small bags.

I did not do this .All my side pockets of all my bags 4 in all were "liberated "of their contents .......dirty undies ,...yes designer stuff ......socks bras 2 jackets 1 umbrella......... coincidence????I was approached to have them wrapped ......Did not do it

Moral next time will lock EVERYTHING!!!!

We landed at EZE this week prior to our Antarctic Cruise on the Infinity. We noticed that there is a curbside service for departures that plastic/shrink wraps your luggage before you drop off your luggage at the airline.

Understandably it adds security, but is it also a red flag - come and steal me? Anyone have positives or negatives on spending $10Ar per bag?

The locals seem to use it for small bags.

It can be a MAJOR problem flying back into the USA at Customs. Long lines at Customs generally and often they make you unwrap your luggage with everyone behind you giving you the "eye". You may also be subject to additional Customs inspections, just because they can.

I am a frequent SA business traveler (I am currently in Cusco). I had my luggage wrapped about 6 years ago, thinking it was a novel idea. I also had to unwrap it at JFK when I arrived back in the USA.

In Aisa at certain airports, when they check your luggage through the scanner, they band it with those plastic straps used for freight. Again, EVERY time except one on my return from an Asian business trip, I have had to "un band" the luggage at Customs. It is NOT easy to find something to break those heavy plastic straps. I have NEVER had anything stolen from my luggage and I fly over 100,000 miles per year for business.

I have had my luggage opened occasionally by TSA and in some countries, they go through your luggage (all luggage, NOT just hand baggage) BEFORE you are allowed to check it in. In 2002, South American airports, you actually had to open all luggage and turn on all electrical/electronic appliances. THAT was a time consuming process and if you had your luggage wrapped (as I saw a few people do), you just lost your money, as it had to be unwrapped.

Put brightly colored zip ties on all zippers and openings. PULL THEM TIGHT. And please don't put things in the outside pockets. You are just asking for trouble.

With inbound USA restrictions more severe than a few weeks ago, IMHO, you are wasting your money shrink wrapping your luggae.

It can be a MAJOR problem flying back into the USA at Customs. Long lines at Customs generally and often they make you unwrap your luggage with everyone behind you giving you the "eye". You may also be subject to additional Customs inspections, just because they can.

I am a frequent SA business traveler (I am currently in Cusco). I had my luggage wrapped about 6 years ago, thinking it was a novel idea. I also had to unwrap it at JFK when I arrived back in the USA.

In Aisa at certain airports, when they check your luggage through the scanner, they band it with those plastic straps used for freight. Again, EVERY time except one on my return from an Asian business trip, I have had to "un band" the luggage at Customs. It is NOT easy to find something to break those heavy plastic straps. I have NEVER had anything stolen from my luggage and I fly over 100,000 miles per year for business.

I have had my luggage opened occasionally by TSA and in some countries, they go through your luggage (all luggage, NOT just hand baggage) BEFORE you are allowed to check it in. In 2002, South American airports, you actually had to open all luggage and turn on all electrical/electronic appliances. THAT was a time consuming process and if you had your luggage wrapped (as I saw a few people do), you just lost your money, as it had to be unwrapped.

Put brightly colored zip ties on all zippers and openings. PULL THEM TIGHT. And please don't put things in the outside pockets. You are just asking for trouble.

With inbound USA restrictions more severe than a few weeks ago, IMHO, you are wasting your money shrink wrapping your luggae.

Great information!! Thank you! Please explain "brightly colored zip ties"... I think I'm being dense... what are they, where do I get them? Thanks!!!:o

Lowe's and Home Depot sell zip ties in white, black and a package with a variety of colors. One of their original purposes was to keep electrical cords tidy. They are inexpensive and easy to use on any suitcase that has 2 zipper toggles on an opening.

When you arrive at your hotel you will need a method for cutting them open. I keep a very small fingernail clipper in a non-zip tied pocket of my suitcase for that purpose but have broken them open with a Bic pen..

Lowe's and Home Depot sell zip ties in white, black and a package with a variety of colors. One of their original purposes was to keep electrical cords tidy. They are inexpensive and easy to use on any suitcase that has 2 zipper toggles on an opening.

When you arrive at your hotel you will need a method for cutting them open. I keep a very small fingernail clipper in a non-zip tied pocket of my suitcase for that purpose but have broken them open with a Bic pen..

Thanks, I was wondering if those were what you were referencing... they are tough to open! Hmmm... but, I LIKE it!!! Thanks! Whether your underwear is designer or not it's still and expense and hassle if someone steals it. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Also had no problem returning from EZE to DFW. We just checked our bags inside the terminal and never even noticed the shrink wrap guys. No problems with customs or security as I recall, or using our TSA locks, but that was before Mr. Underpants Bomber, so security may be tighter now.

We did put stuff in the unlocked outside pockets of our suitcases and nothing was taken. Now I feel insulted that my dirty underwear was not good enough for those snooty airport thieves. :o

Archived