Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card Terrorism Coverage

BBsails

In the light of recent events, the following are covered by Chase Sapphire.

Covered Loss means one of the following events that occur when you or an Immediate Family Member is insured under the policy and the event causes cancellation of the travel arrangements:

• Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you or a Traveling Companion

• Severe weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from beginning or continuing on a Covered Trip

• Change in military orders for you, your Spouse, or your Domestic Partner

• A terrorist action or hijacking

• A call to jury duty or receiving a subpoena from the courts, neither of which can be postponed or waived

• Finding your or your Traveling Companion’s dwelling to be uninhabitable

• Quarantine imposed by a Physician for health reasons

• Financial insolvency of the Travel Agency, Tour Operator, or Travel Supplier whose services you booked

In the light of recent events, the following are covered by Chase Sapphire.

Covered Loss means one of the following events that occur when you or an Immediate Family Member is insured under the policy and the event causes cancellation of the travel arrangements:

• Accidental Bodily Injury, Loss of Life, or Sickness experienced by you, a Traveling Companion, or an Immediate Family Member of you or a Traveling Companion

• Severe weather, which prevents a reasonable and prudent person from beginning or continuing on a Covered Trip

• Change in military orders for you, your Spouse, or your Domestic Partner

• A terrorist action or hijacking

• A call to jury duty or receiving a subpoena from the courts, neither of which can be postponed or waived

• Finding your or your Traveling Companion’s dwelling to be uninhabitable

• Quarantine imposed by a Physician for health reasons

• Financial insolvency of the Travel Agency, Tour Operator, or Travel Supplier whose services you booked

Thanks.

However, what does this "terrorist coverage" mean?

The above says: "... the event causes cancellation of the travel arrangements..."

I wouldn't understand this to cover something like travel to Brussels (in current example) once airport reopens, no matter how worrisome the situation, or how high the official alert level, *unless* it is actually not possible to travel as planned (and possibly also unless there is no alternate way to get there, etc.).

Does anyone have more details about how this "terrorism" coverage works for Chase Sapphire OR for ANY other major travel policies?

Presumably one cannot say "I think it's much too dangerous to travel to Paris now, so I want to cancel and get my money back", or perhaps even to Brussels in a couple of days.

Thanks.

I have the Chase Explorer card and the coverage for cancellation is worded exactly as above for the Sapphire card. I spoke to an agent when considering other travel insurance and my cursory understanding is that cancellation is possible if there was a terrorist attack in your destination(s) within 90 days of your arrival at ( or through?) that destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by JenZ

I have the Chase Explorer card and the coverage for cancellation is worded exactly as above for the Sapphire card. I spoke to an agent when considering other travel insurance and my cursory understanding is that cancellation is possible if there was a terrorist attack in your destination(s) within 90 days of your arrival at ( or through?) that destination.

I would not assume that the coverage is any greater than what is literally stated in the policy. As in, if your hotel is closed due to an attack, the insurance will make sure you can get your airfare back. I would not assume that they provide proximity-based coverage like insurance you pay for.

I would not assume that the coverage is any greater than what is literally stated in the policy. As in, if your hotel is closed due to an attack, the insurance will make sure you can get your airfare back. I would not assume that they provide proximity-based coverage like insurance you pay for.

Here are quotes from each of several travel INSURERS, per a page on TripInsuranceStore.com:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-terrorist-incident-coverages/

These do not include charge card based or cruise line based policies.

Most seem to have a "within 30 days of the departure date", and specifically at a city on your itinerary.

And some seem to *require* that you accept an alternate itinerary IF it is offered by the travel vendor. Others don't mention any such thing.

There are OTHER important details in some of the different specific coverages.

For example, a few insurers include the following in the definition of a terrorist act: "...intent to overthrow or influence the control of any government..."

I don't know if the recent acts in Belgium or Paris would count as terrorist acts by this definition.

Check the exact wording of your policy or of any policy you are considering buying in the future, if this is a coverage you want.

If these terms don't cover what you would like, then consider CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage. That typically offers only a 75% refund, but better than zero.

(And cruise-line coverage seems often to be only a credit to be used within a certain time, not a refund, although some of those do offer a credit of 90%.)

(And cruise-line coverage seems often to be only a credit to be used within a certain time, not a refund, although some of those do offer a credit of 90%.)

Just an FYI Geezer and just sharing since you do bring so much to the table when helping others.

Princess "Platinum" does offer 100% CFAR

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

see top of page 4

Just an FYI Geezer and just sharing since you do bring so much to the table when helping others.

Princess "Platinum" does offer 100% CFAR

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Princess_Vacation_Protection.pdf

see top of page 4

That's great :)

I assume it's for cruise credit? Any time limit?

And is it *really* "ANY" reason?

I've read here some reports that cruise line insurance "CFAR" has some restrictions about this.

Some people seemed to be complaining that "any reason" had "restrictions", so that not "any" in our book...

In that case, CFSR (Cancel For Some Reasons)?

As long as everyone KNOWS what they are getting in advance, it's fine.

It's when the terms aren't clear (not good!) or someone doesn't think through certain situations that there can be significant problems and disappointments.