Can I purchase cruise insurance a week before sailing?

kdn hawaii

Can I purchase cruise insurance a week before sailing? And if so, would it be through the cruise line or an outside source?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

More than likely your cruise insurance from your cruiseline would have needed to be purchased before final payment (or at least it is with the cruiseline I sail). Your best option (some feel always your best option) now would be a 3rd party insurer. There are many but we have always had great service from The Trip Insurance Store using Steve or one of his assistants.

(888) 407-3854

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com

Edited by Ashland

Yes, you can purchase private insurance in most cases anytime before the cruise. But just be aware that with very few exceptions it would not cover you for a pre health condition.

Insurance from the cruise line must be purchased at the time of final payment.

Keith

Always better to buy insurance sooner rather than later (what if something happens tomorrow and you have to cancel:eek:?), but most plans can be purchased 24 hours before you depart (or, as a practical matter, the calendar day before is often acceptable).

As noted, to get the pre-existing medical condition exclusion waiver, many plans require you to purchase within a certain number of days of making your first payment-- really has nothing at all to do with when you're traveling. If you're interested in Cancel For Any Reason protection (allows you to cancel for a reason not named in the policy, but it's less than 100% of your trip cost), the same timeframe applies.

I worked for Travel Guard for a number of years. If you did need the pre-ex waiver or CFAR, the My Travel Guard plan would probably work. There would be a hoop or two, but it's still possible. If you need either, I suggest contacting Travel Guard. There are other plans from other companies that might work; I'm just familiar with TG.

http://travel-insurance-review.toptenreviews.com/ Review site for travel insurance.

We went with #1 rated CSA Travel Protection.

They were very affordable.

If you dont want the cancellation protection since you are so close to departure, then you can enter 0 for the trip cost in their website. You then get the in trip coverages only. Or call them.