The Official Visiting Santa Barbara Thread

• 3 weeks later...

If you're looking for something fabulous to do in Santa Barbara, consider Savor Santa Barbara, a walking food tour. The tour runs from 11:30 to 3:30, & meets walking distance from the port. It's a perfect way to get a taste of Santa Barbara (literally)! We were celebrating our 14th anniversary and our guide Erin made it extra special! Every stop on the tour was so delicious, especially the heavenly lobster bisque at Enterprise Fish Company. Food, beer, wine, ice cream, we were full by the end of the tour, got some exercise, and also learned a little Santa Barbara history and interesting architecture. The perfect thing to do on your port day in Santa Barbara. http://Www.savorsantabarbarafoodtours.com

• 11 months later...
Bumping this one back up to the first page. Lost of good info in this thread :)

so very true !

I might add that those waters are full of whales and other wildlife. My first visit was to the mission & courthouse and the second time was whale watching.

• 1 month later...

We will visit SB this fall on a Pacific Coastal and hope to visit with family inland. They have two small children, so we will not know until just before we sail if they will choose to drive to SB to see us, or we will need to rent a car to go to them. So we plan to reserve a rental car just in case.

SBAnt, if you are still following this thread, what are the closest current rental locations to the tender drop-off? And the best way to get there.

Thank you!

There's an Avis a few blocks from the train station that's the closest, a little less than a mile walking. IIRC, Enterprise will pick you up, so Avid might as well. Speaking of Enterprise, there's an Enterprise on Chapala, so you could reach out to them for availability and a pickup. Last one that a close is at the Feds Parker Doubletree, where there is a Hertz.

How far inland are you trying to go? There is a small amount of freeway construction going North, in Goleta, and always some traffic between SB and Carpinteria to the South.

Depending on the timing, Ventura is very doable against traffic. Can your family come see you in LA? It might be easier than driving 30 minutes each way to Ventura in your limited time in SB.

Edited by SBAnt

• 2 months later...
Time for another *bump*. Lots of good info in here :)

Thank you for doing that!:) I took notes from the post that detailed how to take public transportation from the ship to the Mission. I'm hoping that someone here will post some updates on the beach conditions, following the oil spill. Some folks on our roll-call are looking for a good beach day, on our upcoming Pacific Coastal Cruise.

Thank you for doing that!:) I took notes from the post that detailed how to take public transportation from the ship to the Mission. I'm hoping that someone here will post some updates on the beach conditions, following the oil spill. Some folks on our roll-call are looking for a good beach day, on our upcoming Pacific Coastal Cruise.

I don't believe any of the beaches near the tender area are affected, so any beach along Cabrillo Blvd from Leadbetter Beach to the Andree Clark Bird Refuge should be fine. Most of the beach area is walking distance from the tender. The whole length from the wharf to the Bird Refuge is about 2 miles, so if that seems a bit far, there is always the shuttle bus.

I don't believe any of the beaches near the tender area are affected, so any beach along Cabrillo Blvd from Leadbetter Beach to the Andree Clark Bird Refuge should be fine. Most of the beach area is walking distance from the tender. The whole length from the wharf to the Bird Refuge is about 2 miles, so if that seems a bit far, there is always the shuttle bus.

Thank you! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

SBAnt,

First off, my apologies for not doing some homework first.

It sounds like Santa Barbara is a tender port. How far is it to Goleta Cemetery? I know that's an odd question. I've just recently lost 2 close relatives and would like to visit their graves.

Thank you,

Vicki (riansgrammy)

SBAnt,

First off, my apologies for not doing some homework first.

It sounds like Santa Barbara is a tender port. How far is it to Goleta Cemetery? I know that's an odd question. I've just recently lost 2 close relatives and would like to visit their graves.

Thank you,

Vicki (riansgrammy)

It looks like it is 6.3 miles, roughly 11 minutes by car. Since it isn't in walking distance, you're probably best off taking a taxi or Uber there. Another option is renting a car if you plan to see more than just central Santa Barbara. My condolences for your loss.

What about the Urban Wine Walking Tour? We will be there in September. Do you have to take a taxi to a different area to start?

I'm going to be with a group of at least 12 ladies who would like to do wine tasting. Any recommendation for private tour companies when getting off the ship.

Thank You

I live up in Solvang, so I can't really comment on tours/tastings in the City of Santa Barbara itself. There are TONS of tours/tastings up here in the Santa Ynez Valley (about 45 minutes from SB).

There is a web site called Santa Barbara Wine Country that has a touring guide you can request.

Another good resource is SantaBarbara.com's winery guide.

It looks like it is 6.3 miles, roughly 11 minutes by car. Since it isn't in walking distance, you're probably best off taking a taxi or Uber there. Another option is renting a car if you plan to see more than just central Santa Barbara. My condolences for your loss.

Would you happen to be a member of Elks Lodge 613?

Hi - We will be in port in early September for the day. Is there any Santa Maria style BBQ places in Santa Barbara or somewhere closer than driving to Santa Maria? We will have a rental car and were thinking of driving up to Solvang but also wanted to experience tri-tip and all that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

We will be in Santa Barbara on Sunday, Oct. 4th. We are scheduled to port from 7 AM - 5PM. We would love to rent a car for the day and drive up to Solvang and maybe stop at a couple of wineries on the way back. Unfortunately all of the rental car companies either have abbreviated hours or are closed on Sundays. Any other suggestions on alternate transportation to Solvang? Is there a local car rental agency with better Sunday hours?