On My Own in Rome for 2 Days

Bring a comfortable pair of walking shoes and walk. You might want to take the bus or the metro for the Vatican but most places of interest are all within walking distance of each other. With a good map you should not have any problems. 2 days in Rome is enough to barely cover the highlights. I spent 5 weeks there when I was in University and did not see all that I wanted. I never had any problems on the streets but then I am a guy and I am 6'4". Enjoy.

Ask at the hotel. The concierge or the cruise ship rep will steer you to many guided walks and tours. I took the earliest morning guided tour of Vatican. So glad I did. We entered by a different gate, by passing the LOOOOOng line for tickets. Then she knew exactly where to go etc. The security is very strict. I left another pair of manicure scissors there. It is an autonomous country.

I also took a night tour of Rome. The fountains are beautiful at night, but I think for a tourist and alone and at night, just too daunting. That tour included a dinner in a lovely Italian restaurant. We had a wonderful meal, accompanied by entertainment. I still play the CD I bought that night.

Those two tours left me lots of time to explore on my own.

Hi

We, and a number of other Cruise Critic members on the Galaxy Transatlantic, stayed on in Rome at the Hotel Napoleon. One of the CC members, Elmel, had researched hotels in Rome for us and found this gem.

The Hotel Napoleon is a 4 star hotel with reasonable rates (I believe a double is 160 Euros and a triple, 180 Euros per night). Included in that rate is a full buffet breakfast which offered cereals, fresh fruit, fruit cocktail, yogurt, sweet rolls, dinner rolls, sliced meats and cheeses, omelettes (not made to order though), toast, juices, tea, coffee etc. The hotel restaurant offers great lunches and dinners at prices slightly lower than local area restaurants, and it offers glasses of dessert wine and biscotti with their compliments at the end of the dinner.

The hotel is tastefully furnished but is not glitzy. There is a terrific lounge for guests on the second floor - it has several sofas and comfortable chairs, a large TV and a computer with free access to email and the Internet. Guest rooms are air conditioned, clean and comfortable, and include a small bar fridge.

There is a Metro stop right out front of the hotel, a very pretty park across the street and an inexpensive grocery store nearby. The Termini station is only a short walk away. Hotel staff were always helpful in getting taxis, providing directions to various sites, and recommending local restaurants.

We enjoyed our stay and I highly recommend the Hotel Napoleon. You can check out the hotel at its website: http://www.napoleon.it. I was corresponding with Mr. Domenico Nelli, the Assistant Manager. If you're interested, you can contact him directly at infobook@napoleon.it

Bev

Just a little note from someone who ventured out alone in Rome. My dear husband got food poisoning on our last full day in Rome, the day we had planned for the basilica and the vatican. Hubby insisted I go out without him. I was completely FINE! I took a taxi from near our hotel to the basilica had a lovely time, walked over to the Vatican (being alone made it easy to navigate through the crowds). I just made sure that I had important stuff in my money belt (even stuck some extra cash in my sock) and was extra aware of my surroundings and people around me. Like suggested above, at night I would consider group tour kinda things, have a great time.

Tammy

Archived