Galley Tour on QM2

Trainman52

It is , its great fun to do,even better when they are making things.

The tickets are on sea days and you ask at the pursers desk on the day,they dont tell anyone when,so you have to ask when and sometimes IF, make up a group and they may do it anyway for you, our goods friends made a group last october and we did it, other times we just joined in with the others.

• 4 years later...

I believe you're referring to to what is now called the "behind the scenes tour" It's offered one time per transatlantic voyage. Cost is either $125 or $150, can't remember which. It lasts about 4 hours and they host 12-15 people max. I recall that registration is at 8AM the first day at sea. I suggest getting to the excursions desk early, say 7:30 AM as it's usually pretty popular and a line forms early and it usually sells out fast. The tour visits the anchor handling area, the engine control room (not the engine room), the medical center, the galley, the environmental (trash and recycling area), the theatre, the baggage/receiving area, to name a few.

You'll meet various heads of departments who will give you information about their areas, answer questions, and you'll even get a demonstration of firefighting apparel (no fire, rest assured). You'll be below the PAX decks and many of the areas visited will be located off the Burma Road which is what they call the main crew passageway that runs right down through the middle of the ship. After snacks and drinks with the Hotel and Dining managers you'll head up to the bridge where you'll meet the captain and have a chance to have your picture taken with him. These pictures will be delivered to your stateroom a day or two later. It was explained to me that the timing of the tour is dictated by the galley because it is only down for about an hour a day I think pre-midday. All in all it's a great tour and they definitely go out of their way to make it an experience. I highly recommend it. One last bit of advice is to stay near the front of the pack in the galley if you want to hear the tour as the group strings out and it's easy to miss the commentary.

Ray66-didn't know there was a free galley tour, that might be a better value!

Edited by japyke
additional credit to previous poster

When do reservations open for the galley tour on the QM2? This is probably one of the best kept secrets on the ship.

This is a free tour. Look out for the 'Glimpse of A Ships Galley' Tour placed in The Daily Programme. And just turn up as requested with your Camera. Its not always on the front page, but listed in the Activities page at around 10am section.

There is also a Cunard Behind the Scenes Tour which cost $120 which is Bookable from the Tours Desk. Get there on first day Desk is open. This is not usually advertised

If the number exceeds around 16 Guests then a raffle of those requesting is held. You get a Badge at the end with photo and some other goods.

see

http://wearecunard.com/2012/11/cunards-behind-the-scenes-ship-tour/

Scan064.jpg.44fc48c1815460d1eda0af9b67c7b9c4.jpg

Scan064.pdf

Cunard_Pin1.jpg.4631a6cab0e634a4dadce0be07791ddc.jpg

Edited by Pennbank
uploads

We been on the free galley tour on QM2. It was very interesting.

We paid for the behind the scenes tour on QE, that was fantastic & very interesting.

I too have done the Behind the Scenes tour on QE. It was an enjoyable experience. However, I simply asked to be put on the list as soon as I boarded. The purser fetched the book and wrote my name in it. No waiting on the first sea day was necessary.

Can someone confirm for me if this tour is free or $150? I would love to do it when I'm on board in June, but only if it's free.

There seems to be some confusion, the galley tour is free whereas the "behind the scenes tour" is not. The galley tour is a 30 minute tour of the galley area along with 500 of your closest friends but the "behind the scenes" is restricted to 16 passengers in total and takes about 4 hours.

There seems to be some confusion, the galley tour is free whereas the "behind the scenes tour" is not. The galley tour is a 30 minute tour of the galley area along with 500 of your closest friends but the "behind the scenes" is restricted to 16 passengers in total and takes about 4 hours.

Thank you for clarifying. :)