Air Canada Sale

dot73

If you are looking for a flight for your cruise, Air Canada is having a sale for flights up to February 2013. I just booked a direct flight from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale (January 5-18) for $387 (all in). I know they charge $25 per bag, but it is still a good deal for a direct flight. I know people complain about Air Canada, but I have been taking AC flights to Florida every year for the last 15 years without ever experiencing a problem (knock on wood).

I'm looking at booking a one way flight to Miami in March, direct from Toronto on AC, for $235 (all in). I just can't decide which flight time I want (arrive at noon and spend the day in Miami, or arrive after dinner and just overnight in Miami).

I read a lot about how many people seem to insist that flying out of Toronto is wickedly expensive and they should instead drive to Buffalo, but I haven't found that to be true.....I just spot-checked several US airlines out of Buffalo and only one (Delta) was less - I could save $14 by driving to Buffalo, traveling on Delta, and spend an extra 3 hours to change planes at LGA. I don't get it.....(economy seats on AC are larger too).

edited to add: My cruise isn't until March, but I may have a business trip to make to Orlando in January.......I should book that now while it's on sale ;)

I travel by myself so going to Buffalo isn't worth it. However, if you have three kids and two adults, going out of Buffalo to Florida would be a lot cheaper. I drove once in the winter time to Buffalo and I got stuck in a major blizzard between Niagara Falls and Fort Erie and I will NEVER drive there in the winter again. The weather is to unpredictable on that area. Also, I had had to in the past change planes twice in the US because direct flights were not available and both times the trips were so stressful that I swore I would never take a cruise out of a port where I couldn't fly direct. Changing planes can be a real nuisance so even if it costs more, I will fly AC or Westjet direct.

If you are looking for a flight for your cruise, Air Canada is having a sale for flights up to February 2013. I just booked a direct flight from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale (January 5-18) for $387 (all in). I know they charge $25 per bag, but it is still a good deal for a direct flight. I know people complain about Air Canada, but I have been taking AC flights to Florida every year for the last 15 years without ever experiencing a problem (knock on wood).

People love to complain about their national airline. Canadians complain about Air Canada, Brits complain about BA, Aussies complain about Qantas. It's kinda funny actually. I have really enjoyed Qantas on my many trips with them, but I am in Australia now and haven't found a single person give them credit.

Don't really think it's all about the Airfare price anymore... In the last couple of years Air Canada and Westjet can typically have lower prices than the US airlines can offer on any seat sale. A lot of what is a problem is the Toronto airport itself. Terribly user unfriendly.

For anyone not from the GTA and have to drive 2-3 hours to an airport, the cost and time involved to fly out of YYZ is prohibitive. If anyone can drive to DTW, BUF, IAG, ROC or SYR in, or about the same time as driving to TO, then the savings in time and stress alone are worth it !!

Last year we tried to save some money and flew out of Pearson.... nearly 21/2 hours to check in, go thru US Customs, and security !

Next trip was thru SYR.. about 1 minute thru US Customs in our car (no bags to carry) and 10 minutes thru TSA security at the airport - same driving time, cheaper parking. Granted, we had a lay-over, but we were much less stressed from the trip (also gave us time for eats, etc on the layover).

Archived