What to do in Isla Roatan

BananaKetchup

Roatan is great.

First of all you have to shop because they make all these great items out of wood that they sell remarkably cheap, and they also sell that mayan pottery extremely cheap too. Don't buy anything at the Port; walk across the street where the prices are better. We went to a beach called Turners while there...very nice and you could walk right out to the reef and snorkel.

I am wondering what are the best activities to do in Isla Roatan?

i have not seen any posts about this Port.

any suggestions?

thanks!!!

FYI, Roatan has its own board. That's probably why you're not seeing much posted in the Other Caribbean board about it.

That being said, when we were in Roatan about a year and a half ago, we booked a custom tour through Victor Bodden and had a great time with it. It's become one of our favorite islands.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Gumbalimba Park. It was one of my favorite excursions. We walked through the rain forest. We stopped at one point of the walk and there were beautiful birds of different types let loose that flew all around us. They also let you hold the birds. It was pretty cool. Then we when to see the monkeys. They ran loose and jump from person to person. They were so fast. We spent quite a bit of time with them. They were sneaky too. They would steal things out of your pants pockets, back packs and purses before you knew what hit you. Great fun. Bring a camera. I left mine on the ship and boy did I regret it. They had humming bird feeders with dozens of hummingbirds that you could walk right up to and they would fly away. They had no fear at all. It was amazing.

The picture here of my DW and I was taken there. They also had zip lines which I wish I had signed up for. Great place to spend the day.

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for Victor Bodden. Victor's tours are customized around you and your likes and dislikes. We booked a private tour (11), ziplining, a tour of his grounds, monkeys, etc, shopping as well as a trip to the beach. We all had a blast and would definitely use his group again. Best value for your money.

• 3 years later...

We went to West End early before everyone esle got there (we were the only cruisers there among divers heading out). Funky bay with some neat bars and shops. You'll want to pick up some Lenca pottery from a shop, very nice and a neat process. Do barter for the best price. There's a gorgeous and well-stocked cigar bar in WE, nicest I've seen in my travels anywhere.

We then took a water taxi for a 15 min ride over to West Bay. Beautiful beach with resorts, we enjoyed relaxing at the Thirsty Turtle Bar at the Bananarama Resort, great steel pan band and burgers n a nice beach.

We jhad a private guide drop us at WE and meet us at WB to drive us back.

• 2 months later...

We rented a motorcycle, but I realize that's not for everyone! Make sure you know which docking location you're coming into if you do that, or arrange a tour. There are two dock locations, and they're a bit apart from each other.

Very nice island. Not overrun with cruisers or tourists!