Why Aren't Millennials Going On More Cruises??? (Vlog)

MrsG0117

Hey everyone, we need your help! What are 5 things you think Millennials want out of a cruise vacation?

...Is it free drinks?

...Is it too expensive?

...Is it outdated? :confused:

We made a video of what WE thought, but would love to get other opinions! :cool:

5ahmy_pBvKc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm gen X but it would be nice to have some amount of free wifi per guest with the option to buy more (to avoid congestion). I would also like to have more overnight or late night options (like Bermuda sailings). I'd like to have dinner in port or dance at a beachside tiki hut. I can do that in Bermuda but the problem with that is Bermuda is not like many of the other ports (like parts of the Caribbean). I think safety (apart from loss of onboard sales) is one of the reasons that cruise ships don't dock overnight more. Imagine your tipsy passengers stumbling around unfamiliar territory trying to get back to the ship while in a place where there are a significant amount of financially strained people. Comparitively wealthy tourists getting robbed or assaulted would be bad. Or imagine loud, tipsy (or just obnoxious passengers walking through the streets making noise,etc. on what a local would just consider a work or school night. Now imagine this with maybe 2 ships a night 3 days of the week. 1 night if fun for us vs who knows how much disruption in the lives of locals (who are not a part of the bar or tourism industry). Plus, because of both scenarios, the port towns would have to increase their security. A tax could be levied against the cruise ships to cover the expense but then how many other/older cruise patrons would be alienated with raised fares/fees?

(I typed this with way too long finger nails on a cell phone - that died 2 seconds before I could hit send THE FIRST TIME I TYPED IT. I have a vertical 6/8ths of an inch at best window above my keypad to see what I am typing and my auto correct is turned off. Please forgive any rambling or typos, etc.) ☺

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I'm gen X but it would be nice to have some amount of free wifi per guest with the option to buy more (to avoid congestion). I would also like to have more overnight or late night options (like Bermuda sailings). I'd like to have dinner in port or dance at a beachside tiki hut. I can do that in Bermuda but the problem with that is Bermuda is not like many of the other ports (like parts of the Caribbean). I think safety (apart from loss of onboard sales) is one of the reasons that cruise ships don't dock overnight more. Imagine your tipsy passengers stumbling around unfamiliar territory trying to get back to the ship while in a place where there are a significant amount of financially strained people. Comparitively wealthy tourists getting robbed or assaulted would be bad. Or imagine loud, tipsy (or just obnoxious passengers walking through the streets making noise,etc. on what a local would just consider a work or school night. Now imagine this with maybe 2 ships a night 3 days of the week. 1 night if fun for us vs who knows how much disruption in the lives of locals (who are not a part of the bar or tourism industry). Plus, because of both scenarios, the port towns would have to increase their security. A tax could be levied against the cruise ships to cover the expense but then how many other/older cruise patrons would be alienated with raised fares/fees?

(I typed this with way too long finger nails on a cell phone - that died 2 seconds before I could hit send THE FIRST TIME I TYPED IT. I have a vertical 6/8ths of an inch at best window above my keypad to see what I am typing and my auto correct is turned off. Please forgive any rambling or typos, etc.) ☺

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Yes! Thank you for your feedback! I definitely agree. With all of that being said, there are negatives and positives that would go along with being in ports overnight: Pros- increasing revenue to the island, increasing jobs, increasing security (could be viewed both as a pro and/or a con.. but it would also be increasing more jobs... ;) ) Cons- Disrupting the local community.. (however, we have lived in touristy parts of the US.. aka, Orlando.. it works the same way), possible higher port tax.

So I think it could be a great argument to be considered! Thanks for watching our video! :)

• 1 month later...

Hello millennials [emoji1354]

From a Baby Boomer - who loves cruising:

Found your video a touch confusing .... do you request all these things exclusively on cruises? Doing away with all other tried, true (and tested) formulas currently in place? Or added to cruises? Because you would then alienate much larger (and the bracket you unfortunately - WILL become) cruising generations.

If, however, you just think these five (5) things need to be added I can reassure you - if you cruised more you would find that - other than free wifi ( which would never be and is never - even when advertised as such as you pay for it in your room rate etc) is already in place!!

All cruise lines have:

Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, skim, macro, halal menus - the list goes on!! Paleo can be created with your own little hands, in fact all these can be created at any buffet with a sharp eye and your own hands. Most restaurants on board have all these types of items on their menus just not listed as such, just look (part of the fun).

So no need for a separate cruise line, catering to millennials with specific diet restaurants, as they need to cater to ALL generations.

The gyms currently have:

Aerobic classes, spin classes, yoga classes, private one on one coaches, the ability to use the gym most normal hours of the day (staff need to eat and sleep) ships are fitted with weights, water and MIRRORS!!

Overnight / longer shore stops - these are called land vacations. You stay in Motels when you do these ones!!🤣

I think current cruise lines DO cater to millennials - unfortunately they don't choose the cruise, ship, date and pack for you!!

Just saying .......

Cheers, Rose

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello millennials [emoji1354]

From a Baby Boomer - who loves cruising:

Found your video a touch confusing .... do you request all these things exclusively on cruises? Doing away with all other tried, true (and tested) formulas currently in place? Or added to cruises? Because you would then alienate much larger (and the bracket you unfortunately - WILL become) cruising generations.

If, however, you just think these five (5) things need to be added I can reassure you - if you cruised more you would find that - other than free wifi ( which would never be and is never - even when advertised as such as you pay for it in your room rate etc) is already in place!!

All cruise lines have:

Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, skim, macro, halal menus - the list goes on!! Paleo can be created with your own little hands, in fact all these can be created at any buffet with a sharp eye and your own hands. Most restaurants on board have all these types of items on their menus just not listed as such, just look (part of the fun).

So no need for a separate cruise line, catering to millennials with specific diet restaurants, as they need to cater to ALL generations.

The gyms currently have:

Aerobic classes, spin classes, yoga classes, private one on one coaches, the ability to use the gym most normal hours of the day (staff need to eat and sleep) ships are fitted with weights, water and MIRRORS!!

Overnight / longer shore stops - these are called land vacations. You stay in Motels when you do these ones!!🤣

I think current cruise lines DO cater to millennials - unfortunately they don't choose the cruise, ship, date and pack for you!!

Just saying .......

Cheers, Rose

Hello Baby Boomer. We do love cruising as well! I have been on 6 cruises and we have 6 cruises planned for this next year. This was a list we collected from a good many of our millennial friends. It's not so much that we request these on all of our cruises.. Its that we think a few of the cruise lines may attract more sales from the millennial generation if they incorporated a few of these things.

We understand that having free wifi could potentially be a large cost to the cruise line, but you may have missed when we mentioned that even when it is advertised as free and it is "snuck into" our room rate, it doesn't seem as bad. Hotels and resorts offer "Free Wifi" all the time. We know we pay for it. Its the principle. We are also aware that they CAN accommodate different diet types. We are capable of going through the buffet and creating our own Paleo meal, which we do every time we cruise. We were simply suggesting that they add a restaurant or section focused around it. They have Italian, French, and Japanese Restaurants.. We think it would be cool to have a Vegan restaurant. That's all! :) This would still cater to all generations. Is everyone from your generation a meat eater? I doubt it. We hate mirrors in the gym, but that's just our personal preference. We also know that these classes are available, but we do CrossFit, so it would be nice to have a safe way to cater towards that as well. The thing we love about cruising is that you can travel to many destinations without having to worry about much of anything. We also love land vacations. Some cruises do stay overnight in port and we think it is AWESOME! We just think there should be a few more itineraries that do so as well. Not all of them. Just more than there are.

There are a select few cruise lines that are adapting to the "Millennial Culture" and we think that is great. They aren't taking away anything that other generations love, just adding things to attract more people our age. So as I mentioned before, WE absolutely LOVE cruising. We just think some of the cruise lines may benefit from adding some of these features. ;)

Thanks for your comments!

Alyssa

Alyssa,

Totally understand all your comments and exactly what you are after [emoji57]but I think we are both dreaming if we think that a cruise line is going to appeal to all of the people all the time. Won't happen in my time anyway - it might in yours [emoji6] You need to travel more and try more cruise lines. We are about to head off on I think our 14th cruise on the 5th Sep, to Papua New Guinea & the South Pacific. Then a short cruise to Tasmania in December, a relocating cruise from Singapore to Sydney next June then a cruise on Queen Elizabeth in Jan 2019 from Southampton to Melbourne. Phewww [emoji41]we cruise a fair bit, and own a mining Contracting Company in central Queensland.

Anyway - I do hope you find all the things you want in cruising, perhaps you need to try the Southern Hemisphere for a cruise??

Cheers, Rose

Alyssa,

Totally understand all your comments and exactly what you are after [emoji57]but I think we are both dreaming if we think that a cruise line is going to appeal to all of the people all the time. Won't happen in my time anyway - it might in yours [emoji6] You need to travel more and try more cruise lines. We are about to head off on I think our 14th cruise on the 5th Sep, to Papua New Guinea & the South Pacific. Then a short cruise to Tasmania in December, a relocating cruise from Singapore to Sydney next June then a cruise on Queen Elizabeth in Jan 2019 from Southampton to Melbourne. Phewww [emoji41]we cruise a fair bit, and own a mining Contracting Company in central Queensland.

Anyway - I do hope you find all the things you want in cruising, perhaps you need to try the Southern Hemisphere for a cruise??

Cheers, Rose

We do hope cruising more often! We have 6 already booked for the next year in the Caribbean, Hawaii and hopefully Mediterranean, and are looking to do a few more. We booked our first MSC cruise as well. We would LOVE to cruise through the Southern Hemisphere! Definitely on our TO DO list. Enjoy your cruises! :hearteyes:

Alyssa

• 3 months later...

I am a Baby Boomer also. I like what you said of the 5 areas, especially #1. Yes, I think that one alone would help bring in the new Friends! The investment would be in Satellites to send the signals though the great WWW. internet. (Digital, of course.) Partner with Microsoft /Apple.

When giving the other 4 ideas, please consider they are a business and will need to upgrade and charge for that. Like Organic foods are always about 100% more than the regular pricing.

I will be waiting for you to build your own ship or when the "Virgin ships" and Richard Brandon comes to play.

Great video, love to meet you guys for dinner on a cruise and share some other ideas.

KJ

• 4 months later...

Most important:

I feel disconnected on any cruise. We need fast Internet!

I had 5 cruises a year with my family, but my last cruise was 2003.

Nice:

Vegan, low-carb is fine. Cauliflower Pizza Crust!

Dinner should be available early.

Stay overnight & offer personal excursions on a family basis.

My Internet at home is 500Mbit/s down and 26 up. LTE for my Cellphone.

I'll pay for basic DSL speed in the cabin and wifi on the ship.

Thanks

Holger