Southampton taxis upon disembarkation?

We plan to self-disembark from the Queen Victoria on June 8, a Thursday. Will we have a problem getting a taxi near the ship that morning, or will we have to call for one. Heading to the train station.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depends on the weather, the number of ships in etc, so sometimes there are more folk than taxis and a line builds up at the terminal (under cover), but they're used almost-exclusively for short hops to the bus or train station etc so the line moves quickly.

You'd be unlucky if you had to wait 15 minutes.

JB :)

• 1 month later...
Depends on the weather, the number of ships in etc, so sometimes there are more folk than taxis and a line builds up at the terminal (under cover), but they're used almost-exclusively for short hops to the bus or train station etc so the line moves quickly.

You'd be unlucky if you had to wait 15 minutes.

If I have a private tour and they don't show up, will I be able to hail a taxi at the cruise terminal that will take me all the way to Heathrow? I have a late flight, so there is no rush, but I'll be alone and with luggage, so won't be able to negotiate train, etc., very well. To top it off, I won't have a device that will let me order a taxi from the terminal, so I will be dependent on that taxi line.

If I have a private tour and they don't show up, will I be able to hail a taxi at the cruise terminal that will take me all the way to Heathrow? I have a late flight, so there is no rush, but I'll be alone and with luggage, so won't be able to negotiate train, etc., very well. To top it off, I won't have a device that will let me order a taxi from the terminal, so I will be dependent on that taxi line.

Yes, you can. But it's the most expensive way to do it.

If you have no choice, ask the drivers (starting from the front of the line, you don't want to start a taxi war :D) for a fixed price - they are allowed to negotiate fares for journeys beyond city limits. Some may decline, others will want a high price - try to get one to agree around the £100 mark. (pre-booked are £75 upwards).

But since you have time in hand there are other options.

OK, you don't have a device. But many of your fellow-cruisers will be Brits who will have cell-phones (we call them mobile phones) with no charges for local calls, so don't be afraid to ask. Even folk you've never seen before - I've always found fellow-cruisers very obliging.

So jot down these phone numbers:

West Quay Cars 02380 999 999

Smiths for Airports 023 9283 1111

Aqua Cars 023 9265 4321

Southampton Taxis 02382 182183

Or Uber

If they have a car available (or can get one to you by a stated time) they'll almost-certainly be cheaper than a taxi from the line. Journey time to Heathrow about 1hr 45 mins, down to 75 minutes later in the day.

Or take a taxi from the line to Southampton Coach Station, fare about £6. The coach takes about 2 hours to Heathrow& costs under £25. Double-check for your particular date, but coaches at 7.45am, 9.45am, 11.30pm, 1.15pm, 3pm.

Coaches may be fully-booked, consider phoning from the quayside for availability 0871 781 8181

Coach service is direct, drivers load & unload your luggage.

Last resort, the train. This involves a train to a station near Heathrow, then a RailAir shuttlebus to Heathrow.

Total journey time about 2 hours, costs over £40 (including the shuttlebus), and you have to get your luggage from train platform to shuttlebus (no high steps between train & platform as there are in the States). But the service is frequent (every 30 minutes or so), no worries about any train being over-booked, so it's better than missing your flight.

Mebbe taxi to the coach station, check if there's availability on a suitably-timed coach, continue in the taxi to the train station (under half-a-mile further) if there's no coach availability.

So there's Plan B.

And C.

And D.

And E.

Good to have those back-ups, but I'm sure you won't need them. :)

If you have no choice, ask the drivers (starting from the front of the line, you don't want to start a taxi war :D) for a fixed price - they are allowed to negotiate fares for journeys beyond city limits. Some may decline, others will want a high price - try to get one to agree around the £100 mark. (pre-booked are £75 upwards).

OK, you don't have a device. But many of your fellow-cruisers will be Brits who will have cell-phones (we call them mobile phones) with no charges for local calls, so don't be afraid to ask. Even folk you've never seen before - I've always found fellow-cruisers very obliging.

Aqua Cars 023 9265 4321

Or Uber

If they have a car available (or can get one to you by a stated time) they'll almost-certainly be cheaper than a taxi from the line. Journey time to Heathrow about 1hr 45 mins, down to 75 minutes later in the day.

Or take a taxi from the line to Southampton Coach Station, fare about £6. The coach takes about 2 hours to Heathrow& costs under £25. Double-check for your particular date, but coaches at 7.45am, 9.45am, 11.30pm, 1.15pm, 3pm.

Coaches may be fully-booked, consider phoning from the quayside for availability 0871 781 8181

Thank you for your extremely helpful reply.

Carola

John Bull

We parked in Southampton recently and needed a taxi to the port. I had seen you often recommend West Quay Cars, so put the number in my phone. Their service was very good and professional, so will use them again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

First time at Southampton we got off at 8.30 and straight into a taxi. Last week the line was VERY long. We waited nearly an hour (at 10am). Taxis came steadily but not fast enough. There were times with no taxis but only a minute.

Aqua Cars 023 9265 4321

Or Uber

Last resort, the train. This involves a train to a station near Heathrow, then a RailAir shuttlebus to Heathrow.

Total journey time about 2 hours, costs over £40 (including the shuttlebus), and you have to get your luggage from train platform to shuttlebus (no high steps between train & platform as there are in the States). But the service is frequent (every 30 minutes or so), no worries about any train being over-booked, so it's better than missing your flight.

Mebbe taxi to the coach station, check if there's availability on a suitably-timed coach, continue in the taxi to the train station (under half-a-mile further) if there's no coach availability.

So there's Plan B.

And C.

And D.

And E.

Good to have those back-ups, but I'm sure you won't need them. :)

Hi there. You seem very knowledgeable about this area! Do you have suggestions for a family of 7 to get from London hotel (downtown) to SouthHampton? Then from SouthHampton up to Edinburgh scotland?

Hi there. You seem very knowledgeable about this area! Do you have suggestions for a family of 7 to get from London hotel (downtown) to SouthHampton? Then from SouthHampton up to Edinburgh scotland?

Southampton (spelling) is easy from central London

Depending to some extent on the location of your central London hotel, by direct National Express bus from Victoria coach station or by direct train from London Waterloo or (slower direct service) from Victoria train station, or by train (one change of train) from London Paddington station. Destination is Southampton coach station or Southampton Central train station.

With seven in your group you should find a private van service cheaper than the train (though there are some train bargains), but not as cheap as National Express bus which can be as cheap as £5 per person.

But you are very very strongly advised to pre-book the Nat Express bus, which is only an hourly service, and of course you have to get to Victoria coach station. And a short hop (you'll need at least two taxis) from Southampton coach station to your cruise terminal, under £10 per vehicle to any cruise terminal - though City Cruise Terminal (RCI, Celebrity, Norwegian & others) is walkable in 15-20 minutes.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Sorry, don't know any van operators in London, though there are lots.

Southampton to Edinburgh is quite a haul, about 450 miles.

Cheapest rail fare (advance booking, travel only on the chosen train) is about £70 pp & means one change of train. About 8 hours.

Nat Express coach service isn't practical. It means either a very early morning start (so overnite in Southampton) or an overnite journey. Travel time is 13 hours because there's no direct service, you go via a change of bus at London Victoria. Not recommended.

But there is another coach service offered specifically for cruisers, operated by

http://www.eaveswaytravel.com/

They have an excellent reputation and offer a service from your Southampton cruise terminal direct to Scotland. I don't know whether they call at Edinburgh, but it will be Glasgow or Edinburgh or both, and those cities are only an hour apart with an excellent rail link. On that webpage click on All Tours, then add your date. Or e-mail them.

Flybe https://www.flybe.com/ have several direct flights per day from Southampton airport to Edinburgh. Flight time 90 minutes or less (that's a bit better than Nat Express's 13 hours :D).

Fares from about £50 pp, But because of luggage you need to run a dummy booking to get a true total cost. And fares can rise steeply close to date of travel, so early booking is strongly recommended.

From your cruise terminal to Southampton airport is about £20 by taxi (you'll need at least two), or a little cheaper booked with www.westquaycars.com Or about £4 per person by train - frequent service, 10 minute ride.

I can suggest a few Southampton van operators for Southampton - Edinburgh, but that won't be the cheapest option.

Probably your best bet is Nat Express central London to Southampton, and either Eavesway coach or Flybe plane Southampton to Edinburgh.

I travel regularly between Southampton and Edinburgh so thought I'd add my opinion. We've done the journey numerous times, living in Edinburgh and cruising from Southampton and we definitely think this is the easiest way. We prefer to avoid London as it also involves a journey by tube and it's so crowded.

We get the 09:46 from Southampton Central to Newcastle. It takes just under 6 hours. You then have a 'cushion' before you catch the 16:37 to Edinburgh (Waverley). That leg of the journey takes 90 minutes. You can buy tickets for the Southampton journey around 12 weeks in advance and the Newcastle leg 24 weeks.