Layover of around 10 hours at JFK - suggestions?

Amtico

We are doing the Eastern Seaboard cruise on 1 October.

Flying direct back to the UK at approx 19:30 hours. There really was no alternative (indirect flights didn't help, neither did a departure from Newark). Viking arranged our flights - they looked for alternatives and we did too.

Unfortunately, Viking don't do tours pre-airport drop off like a lot of cruise companies. We will also have two large suitcases with us for a good while and more, as it will be a long time after our arrival at JFK that the baggage check-in will actually open. So we won't have much freedom.

I looked at various lounges at the airport but unlike in the UK (where you mostly just pay a fee to get access) it appears you have to be a certain class of traveller, tied to a particular airline.

Any suggestions of how to while away around 9/10 hours at JFK?!

Flying direct back to the UK at approx 19:30 hours. There really was no alternative (indirect flights didn't help, neither did a departure from Newark). Viking arranged our flights - they looked for alternatives and we did too.

Unfortunately, Viking don't do tours pre-airport drop off like a lot of cruise companies. We will also have two large suitcases with us for a good while and more, as it will be a long time after our arrival at JFK that the baggage check-in will actually open. So we won't have much freedom.

I looked at various lounges at the airport but unlike in the UK (where you mostly just pay a fee to get access) it appears you have to be a certain class of traveller, tied to a particular airline.

It's tough with suitcases. I once spent 9 hours at JFK walking around and then seating in the restaurant and reading (after a meal of course) but my suitcase was with airline. Check out United Business Club. I know that for a $50.00 pp if you buy online and it's a little more if you buy at the door but they will let in.

Lufthansa might also sell a pass to Business lounge.

It's tough with suitcases. I once spent 9 hours at JFK walking around and then seating in the restaurant and reading (after a meal of course) but my suitcase was with airline. Check out United Business Club. I know that for a $50.00 pp if you buy online and it's a little more if you buy at the door but they will let in.

Lufthansa might also sell a pass to Business lounge.

Thank you so much for the reply, really appreciated.

It appears we will be departing from Terminal 8 at JFK (American Airlines) - there don't seem to be any lounges with day pass options there.

We cannot access a lounge at another terminal as you have to have a boarding pass for that particular terminal - according to my research online.

Any more suggestions welcome!

Have you considered storing your luggage at the terminal and taking AirTrain into Manhattan for a little sightseeing and/or lunch/drinks?

I am not from NY but with that amount of time, seems like you would be safe in venturing out of the airport. I'd hate to sit in any airport for that long. Perhaps some NYC locals will chime in with suggestions.

I would post your inquiry on the East Coast Departures site on Cruise Critic. There seem to be several individuals who live in the NY area who seem to be able to answer all questions pertaining to NY/NJ airports, cruise terminals and things to do. Give it a try and wishing you well.

JFK has a baggage hold in terminal 4. Not sure if other terminals have the same. You can take air train or rent car to broad channel where there's a bird sanctuary and right before cross bay blvd bridge in broad channel there a nice restaurant . Or depending on the season, come to rockawsy park to go swimming in the rockaways, some nice restaurants on boardwalk or on rockaways beach blvd. Just google our community. We're only 20 minutes from airport

Does JKF have a hotel attached like in Orlando? We always get a day pass to they Hyatt inside the airport. It gives us a room and a great place for a nap, watching TV, or even a swim.

There are hotels close by but I'm not sure if they provide that service

There is a site in midtown to store your luggage. Several mentions on the NY port pages. Drop your luggage and spend some time in NYC. Then taxi to JFK.

I wouldn't suggest it because of the traffic congestion. We do have a ferry in the rockaways, in fact it's about 20 blocks from cross bay blvd bridge on beach channel drive. Nice ride and the have snacks on board. The ferry takes you to lower manhattan

Thanks everyone so much for your replies - all very much appreciated.

I've looked in to them all! :)

The best option seems to be to get a taxi from the Manhattan Cruise terminal where we are docked over to Schwartz (the luggage storage place), near Penn Station. Then spend a few hours in Manhattan and get a taxi to JFK from the storage shop.

Little apprehensive about the luggage place but the reviews all seem okay.

I am assuming you are going directly to JFK because of the Viking Air transfer. If so I would skip the transfer and see if Viking or the cruise terminal will hold your luggage for a few hours. If you are at one of the midtown piers you can walk to the Intrepid or about a dozen or so nearby attractions and then take a cab to JFK. You can also take 4 hour bus tour. Most of the better companies will arrange to take care of luggage and transfer to JFK. Check on TripAdvisor or have your TA make the arrangements. I do not recommend leaving JFK once you are there.

You really don't want to deal with JFK rush hour traffic. Cabs to a local attraction is not recommended. Unlike the Yellow Cabs to Manhattan there are no fixed rates and finding an English speaking cab driver familiar with Queens County is rare.