Advice on 2018 Alaska Trip-Land tour or just cruise!

cruiserfromalabama

My husband and I are planning an Alaska cruise with Princess for the end of May 2018. We are in our early 60's and love to travel. We have been on numerous cruises, been all over Europe, seen quite a bit of U.S., but not seen Alaska before. Is the cruise tour worth the extra cost to stay at the Denali Wilderness Lodge or would it be better to do just the cruise and spend some extra time in Vancouver? While we do like seeing wildlife, is the Denali experience something we could pass on? I know this is a vague question, sorry! I have heard that the Denali Lodge is nice, but not luxury. I like nice hotels, but if the location, food, and sightseeing is great-then I am alright if the lodge is not luxury. Has anyone done a land tour of Alaska and come home thinking that they wished that they had done only the cruise? Thank you for any input and advice-I always depend on Cruise Critic to help me plan my trips!

Princess land tours have various itineraries. Some tours are short and rushed with little time to get into the Park, except for the short Natural History Tour which only travels about 30 miles of the available100 miles of park road. The NHT provides little opportunity to see wildlife or the scenery. You need a minimum of 2 nites at Denali in order to get inside the park. So you really need to look carefully at the specifics of each tour to see if most of your time is in transit, OR, you will have time at each location.

And you DO realize the tour buses and shuttle buses are basically school buses? So like the Lodge, it's not luxe.

Impossible to know if you'll enjoy it. Personally I've made 2 trips to Alaska ONLY to visit Denali. I LOVE it.

The Denali princess isn't the only lodging available in the Denali area. Why not rent a car and drive to Denali yourself ..... it's a pretty direct 5 or 6 hr drive on a 2 lane hwy. With a car you can stay anywhere. There are some lovely cabins, B&B's, and smaller hotels you can choose from. Such as this https://www.denalilakeviewinn.com/

Look thru some of the trip reports from 2016 and 2015 to read first hand accounts of the land tours. The first line of the report usually indicates if it's a Princess cruisetour. ( look at MPVinBoynton's report for 2017 .... in his signature you'll find past trip reports including a Princess cruisetour to Denali. Lots of excellent photos of each location, the accomodations etc.)

Is the cruise tour worth the extra cost to stay at the Denali Wilderness Lodge or would it be better to do just the cruise and spend some extra time in Vancouver?
Vancouver is worth a few days stay.

• If cost is a concern.... look for hotels a few blocks away from the cruise terminal for savings.
  • you want at least one night in case of plane delays.

Thanks Mapleleaves! I will look at these links! I am not dead set on cruise tour and maybe doing Denali on our own would be a good choice. Thanks again for your input!

Another vote for doing a trip to Denali on your own.

I just noticed that your travel date is "MAY 2018". Keep in mind that the park road is still in the process of opening, On June 1 it is open to Mile 66 for the Eielson Visitor Center shuttle bus and Mile 62 for the Tundra Wilderness Tour, Wonder Lake and Kantishna are available June 10.

So you might want to do the cruise first then the land tour so that you visit denali after June 1.

The NPS web site provides info on the narrated bus tours and non narrated shuttles, as well as a map showing the primary destinations along the road:

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

or the park reservation site: http://www.reservedenali.com/

lodging in the Denali area ( including Healy and Carlo Creek which are about 15 minutes away):

http://a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

I just noticed that your travel date is "MAY 2018". Keep in mind that the park road is still in the process of opening, On June 1 it is open to Mile 66 for the Eielson Visitor Center shuttle bus and Mile 62 for the Tundra Wilderness Tour, Wonder Lake and Kantishna are available June 10.

So you might want to do the cruise first then the land tour so that you visit denali after June 1.

The NPS web site provides info on the narrated bus tours and non narrated shuttles, as well as a map showing the primary destinations along the road:

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

or the park reservation site: http://www.reservedenali.com/

lodging in the Denali area ( including Healy and Carlo Creek which are about 15 minutes away):

http://a1cms.com/_dcc/accommodations/

I did some research on Denali and found out about the park sometimes not passable until after June 1st, so considering either to change dates until the beginning of June or flip flop tour and cruise! All your info is very much appreciated and links as well! It is so nice to hear from people that really have experienced Alaska, as we are totally ignorant about traveling there!

Thanks for the vote! Just a little worried about getting in a car on icy tundra with my husband from Alabama that is not used to icy conditions. My 43 year marriage might not make 44 years! ;p

You are very inaccurate with your assumptions. In June the roads will be completely clear and snow only on the mountain tops. There is no issue with driving, BUT, best advice I can give you is to go for as long as you can afford, and if including Denali, needing at least 2 nights there.

Distance into the park is what Denali is all about, Way superior is to have a northbound cruise. I always disagree with posters who claim cruising south is "better", since you can "relax". In my opinion, this is a BIG mistake with trip planning, since it shows me, some poor planning perhaps. Itineraries should be even.

Not sure why you chose Denali- when it appears you were unfamiliar with it??? But there is plenty else to also consider, and no, Denali isn't a must do and clearly a poor choice for others.

Since you are open to going independent, then do so. Way superior for a great itinerary with the ability to see and do much more.

You DO need to lower your expectations with lodging. Only 5 star is Alyeska. Lodging is more functional than glamorous, You don't go to Alaska and give a priority to the lodging in my opinion.

Take your time and really find out the details of Alaska travel, then work out a great itinerary for yourself, on paper. Several reworks is what is going to be best so don't jump into reservations until this is in place.

You are very inaccurate with your assumptions. In June the roads will be completely clear and snow only on the mountain tops. There is no issue with driving, BUT, best advice I can give you is to go for as long as you can afford, and if including Denali, needing at least 2 nights there.

Distance into the park is what Denali is all about, Way superior is to have a northbound cruise. I always disagree with posters who claim cruising south is "better", since you can "relax". In my opinion, this is a BIG mistake with trip planning, since it shows me, some poor planning perhaps. Itineraries should be even.

Not sure why you chose Denali- when it appears you were unfamiliar with it??? But there is plenty else to also consider, and no, Denali isn't a must do and clearly a poor choice for others.

Since you are open to going independent, then do so. Way superior for a great itinerary with the ability to see and do much more.

You DO need to lower your expectations with lodging. Only 5 star is Alyeska. Lodging is more functional than glamorous, You don't go to Alaska and give a priority to the lodging in my opinion.

Take your time and really find out the details of Alaska travel, then work out a great itinerary for yourself, on paper. Several reworks is what is going to be best so don't jump into reservations until this is in place.

Thanks BudgetQueen for advice! I am not totally dead set on southern bound cruise either. Seriously would love input on why you prefer Northbound! We don't cruise to relax and were just considering southbound because we wanted to do two days Denali, take train to Anchorage. As I said about lodging-I don't have to have 5 star as long as the experience is worth it and the lodge looks nice in the pictures to me. My priority is to see some beautiful scenery in Alaska, some wildlife on land and sea, and if possible take advantage of seeing a few sites in Vancouver.

I am certainly not an expert on Alaska, but have cruised there twice. The first time was a cruse tour with Princess and we enjoyed Denali a lot! We had two nights at their lodge close to Denali, they have several lodges in Alaska. The lodge was very clean and nice, but not 5 nor 4 star, but very acceptable. Having done that, I would not do another cruise tour, but never having been to Alaska we were not comfortable so took the tour. You are young and seem vital, I would certainly rent a car and do it all on my own! Our second cruise we rented a car after the cruise and had just an eye opener tour of the Kenai Peninsula including Homer and Seward and every thing in between. We spent two separate days in Anchorage and loved that also. And Girdwood and Alyeska were wonderful! There is so much to see and do in Alaska so please do not make the trip just one day here and another there. By the way, we spent a wonderful night in a great Bed and Breakfast in Anchorage that was outstanding! Might check that option. Our B&B in Homer was not nearly as good, but it was fine.

Great Sky Girl, I think we will love Alaska very much and like you our first experience to Alaska will probably be a cruise tour with Princess. Since the replies here have said some nice things about Denali, I have decided that we will do the two day Denali one. Time is an issue, so at least we will experience Denali(hopefully if we go in June-we will get to go deep into the park)! Planning on post cruise to stay in Vancouver and see some sights. I plan on booking some good excursions(not necessarily ship ones) so that we can enjoy each port. Hope go back again after this trip and not do another cruise, but will be sure to rent car and check out the interior towns. Will write down all the great ideas that everyone is passing on to me about lodging and sights! Really love the responses and help from everyone!

Thanks BudgetQueen for advice! I am not totally dead set on southern bound cruise either. Seriously would love input on why you prefer Northbound! We don't cruise to relax and were just considering southbound because we wanted to do two days Denali, .

The reason for the northbound cruise and frankly the only direction to consider if Denali is a priority and cruising end of May . Getting INTO the park is what it's about. Eielson opens June 1 which is my minimum distance for my priorities. Also with your scenery and wildlife choices, I'd also suggest you add time for a Kenai Fjords boat tour. Simple to plan with a Seward cruise. I'm also always on a boat tour of Prince William Sound with my visits. (I do multiple trips every visit)