On Board Celebrity Summit and I just HAD to share this story

LauraS

• Administrators

So, I'm on board Celebrity Summit; it's a Cruise Critic member cruise PLUS I'm sailing along with a number of our Cruise Critic hosts. Right after our VERY well attended Connections party, we held a pre-scheduled cabin crawl. I just have to share this story with you.

One of the cabins we visited was an handicapped-accessible AFT balcony cabin on Deck 7. Nice cabin, great location. So, what is such a big deal??

The person in this cabin has written to Celebrity to inquire as to the HEIGHT of the tables in the dining room. Celebrity assured them his wheelchair would fit very nicely under all the tables in the dining room. Great news, right?

Here's the best: Celebrity -- totally on their own -- built a brand new wood table for their balcony so that he would be able to enjoy all that large balcony space. They just built it without anyone asking.

If that isn't fantastic customer service I just don't know what is....

I have a pic to share of the table they built for him. I'll share before the week is out.

Laura

Hi Laura !

Thanks for sharing your great story with us. Kudos to Celebrity, and Summit's Crew for going above and beyond.

I hope you and the Cruise Critic Hosts have a wonderful time on Summit !

The guest should fill out "Attention to Detail" cards for those she knows were responsible for the table. Should also write a letter to Celebrity following the cruise to let them know the names of their outstanding employees. Refreshing to see a non complaining post. Have a GREAT cruise!

Here is my story

We traveled with another couple whose husband used a service dog. The crew made a wooden box with astroturf on the balcony. The dog didn't get the hint and had accidents.

A few crew members wanted to pet the dog because they left theirs at home

With these new ships with real lawn service dogs life would be made easier.

Hi Laura, hope all of you are having a great cruise:) and that is really

a wonderful thing they did. Thanks for sharing the story with us and

I also look forward to seeing your pictures.

I must be missing something. In a cabin that is billed as "handicapped-accessible," would one not expect that tables would be built for wheelchairs to fit them? Sounds to me like Celebrity was just addressing an engineering error to provide what one should reasonably assume to find in such a cabin.

I must be missing something. In a cabin that is billed as "handicapped-accessible," would one not expect that tables would be built for wheelchairs to fit them? Sounds to me like Celebrity was just addressing an engineering error to provide what one should reasonably assume to find in such a cabin.

Hi,

I suggest the person in question wanted to make sure the table in the dining room would accomodate the wheelchair.

Building a custom made balcony table was an extra that is not expected from any cruise line,IMO

Cheers

Only Royal and Penthouse Suites on Millenium Class have dining tables on the balconies - all other balconies only have a rather small side table between the chairs. This is above and beyond for Celebrity to do and congrats to them!

( We were in a Sky Suite on Millenium in April so I know )

Hi Laura ~ thanks for sharing. All too often when crew go above and beyond it goes un-noticed. Thanks for making us aware and reminding us how hard the crew works and that so many of them truly care about their passengers.

Still missing all of you...........

Hi,

I suggest the person in question wanted to make sure the table in the dining room would accomodate the wheelchair.

Building a custom made balcony table was an extra that is not expected from any cruise line,IMO

Cheers

While its great they took care of the passenger in question, any table in a handicap accessible room, including tables on the balcony, should already be accessible without Celebrity doing anything special.

Laura, what a wonderful story!!! Thank you for sharing it with us. We found that the Summit's crew and customer service were outstanding and I am really glad that they continue to remain that way. We feel that Celebrity does go above and beyond to try to please and accomodate it's customers. For that reason, they are our favorite cruiseline.

• Administrators
While its great they took care of the passenger in question, any table in a handicap accessible room, including tables on the balcony, should already be accessible without Celebrity doing anything special.

Well, as someone mentioned, the tables on the balcony are small "coffee table height". Plus, there was a small "dining table" height table. The issue that you are missing is that this person was in a specific motorized wheelchair with a specific table height that would be necessary for him to fully enjoy the balcony usage. And Celebrity made sure of it, by building him a specific table to the specifications for HIS PERSONAL motorized wheelchair.

Well, as someone mentioned, the tables on the balcony are small "coffee table height". Plus, there was a small "dining table" height table. The issue that you are missing is that this person was in a specific motorized wheelchair with a specific table height that would be necessary for him to fully enjoy the balcony usage. And Celebrity made sure of it, by building him a specific table to the specifications for HIS PERSONAL motorized wheelchair.

No I am not. I do not see things the way you do and will leave it at that.

Again, its great they took care of the passenger.

Only Royal and Penthouse Suites on Millenium Class have dining tables on the balconies - all other balconies only have a rather small side table between the chairs. This is above and beyond for Celebrity to do and congrats to them!

That is not correct. All concierge class cabins on the M class have dining tables on the balconies. I've sailed in them several times. You should have had one in your sky suite as well.

Not true. Concierge Class balcony cabins have dining tables on them (not the little tables you find in the standard balcony cabins). We freqently are served dinner and/or breakfast on these tables.

Not to put a damper on the OP's enthusiasm (as I think Celebrity is a great cruiseline and has great customer service), but if it's a handicapped cabin, the dining table on the balcony should have already been built to accommodate a wheelchair/scooter/whatever. I don't see what Celebrity did over and above what would be expected in a handicapped cabin.

Jo-Ann

I have to comment on this thread. My husband and I booked a Celebrity Suite on the Summit and were very pleased with the suite. However, my husband, who had a stroke and is right side affected could not raise his leg to get into the tub which is very deep. The butler was concerned and housekeeping manager who had their carpentry staff build some stairs to help him. I consider this above and beyond the call of duty.

Archived