FLL airport to MIA port - rent a car OR take a cab?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get from FLL airport to MIA port? We decided to refuse the cruiseline's transfers as they were $70 CAN each.

Does anyone know what the cheapest way to get to MIA from FLL is? We were even thinking we could rent a car, and drive it over since we have plenty of time and wouldn't mind driving around miami before boarding the ship. Do you know if there is a car return at the port? On the way back, we have lots of time to kill so we would also want to rent a car in MIA port and return in FLL airport.

Any replies with the 'best route' to take would be appreciated...

There is no return station to return your car. You woul dhead to the airport- turn in the car then take their shuttle back to the port.

We used a limo service for 6 adults. for 33pp roundtrip. He also has towncards. check his web page for prices. http://www.larryslimo.com

If you are coming in the same day as the cruise--head over to the port and start your vacation early- some people are getting on by noon.

You can also wait til you get to the port to buy transfers.

We sail out of Ft Lauderdale and Miami quite frequently and while we usually go a day early we almost always rent a car and drive. The previous post is correct in that you pick up your car at the FLL airport and return it to the Miami airport location then take a rental car shuttle to the port. The drive is between 30 and 45 minutes unless you hit heavy traffic. Just get a map at the rental location and take the appropriate interstate. There is generally not a drop off fee for the major rental firms between FLL and MIA. Because we go a day early we have transportation for the evening. Any further questions let me know.

Canuk1946,

If you don't mind my asking, what company do you find is most affordable? Also, can you get a free car suttle shuttle from the port to MIA airport (for the way back?)

Since you're also from Toronto, your advice is valuable...! By the way, when is the next time you're cruising?

Funny thing about that Canuk we are currently at sea and have just passed through FLL. We were staying at the Sheraton Airport and an independant driver that works out of there became our short run driver as we didn't decide to rent a car this trip going out (we have Alamo when we get back on the 9th). I asked him if he would pick up at FLL and drop at the pier in MIA and he said yes. His rate is $60 which when compared with the cruise lines $70 per person you mentioned this is a bargain. We used him also to go from the hotel to the pier and with 4 people and LOTS of luggage we all fit in his Grand Marquis. Very nice gentleman who lived in Toronto for 13 years up till last March. I don't have his card with me right now but if you send me an e-mail at Canuck1946@aol.com and just mention FLL to MIA ride I will respond next time I get on the internet. BTW when are you cruising?

We have generally gone on Priceline for car rentals and hotels so if you would like further info on that mention that in the e-mail as well.

Hope the weather is not too bad back home. We are on a sea day - broken cloud and quite windy but who can beat 80 degrees?

Dennis

Sorry Canuk - just noticed a question I hadn't answered. The free shuttle is available from the port to the Rental site then you must take another shuttle to the airport. Had not thought of this but friends from Norway did that back in February and it worked just fine in Tampa. Not sure if that is what they meant it for but it worked. Their logic was that they had rented from them before cruising so I guess when you think of it that way it's OK.

Dennis

I think you may be getting slammed by your TA on the price of the transfers. Just Did a Carnival transfer 3/27/04 and the price was $32/pp round trip. I do not believe the exchange rate US-Canadian is that poor as the dollar is currently in the toilet.

I did do the car pick up in FLL and turn in at MIA with rental company transfer to the pier as we had 1 1/2 days pre-cruise in Florida (stayed outside FLL as had not been there before and rates are cheaper outside and we had the car anyway). BE AWARE!!! Not all rental companies offer this service. Natiional and Budget DO NOT.

If traveling on the same day as embarcation do a search on your cruise line board. There are tons of responses to this question. There is Tri-rail (number of vehicle changes and transfers, time consuming but real cheap), limos ($$ for jsut 2), shared rides (avail just outside the FLL terminal on the level where you get yr luggage) and cabs (very $$$-about $50-60) to name a few.

• 2 weeks later...

We have flown into Ft. Lauderdale a day early and then driven to Miami for our past few cruises. We have found that Alamo is our best bet. They have a free shuttle from their office at the Port of Miami to the cruise ships and will pick you up on your return. For us, it's worked out very well, offering us the freedom to see a little more of the town on our own and enjoy the drive down at a leisurely pace.

Brent and Debbie

Hi there,

we did this in NOV 2004. We used the tranfer company..hmmm what was the name???? Red car I believe they are REALLY easy to spot as soon as you exit the airport. transer wait was 20 mins and cost was 17.00 each and took us 35 mins. GREAT value...HIGHLY recommend them.

try it out.....:rolleyes:

not from Fort lauderdale to Miami you didnt. Sorry-its a 45 minute ride.

LOL, You seem very sure of that. I'm not sure you were one of the people in the car with us, but if you were, you overpaid.

There's a stand just outside and if you want the car to yourself its $20. If you share its $12. The ride was about 30-35mins.

I also think you are wrong as it is $20 flat rate from Miami airport to Miami port. Fort Lauderdale is another 20 to 40 minutes depending on the time of day. You may wish to rethink your information for what it's worth as it is misleading as it stands. Sorry about that.

I posted this on the Cruise Air board, but I'm going to try here too...

We have a 6:05 p.m. return flight out of Ft. Lauderdale. What are our options after disembarkation (Miami) so that we don't have to hang around the airport for hours on end?

I currently have transfers booked but I can change that (not going til November!). I had hoped to just rent a car at the port, but I see that's not an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately, as I have no receipt to show you, there's no proof of what I paid. I don't mean to 'mislead' anyone as stated above, but what I paid is what I paid. I'm sure others who share the cabs from that stand at FLL will pay the same amount.

We have a 6:05 p.m. return flight out of Ft. Lauderdale. What are our options after disembarkation (Miami) so that we don't have to hang around the airport for hours on end?

I currently have transfers booked but I can change that (not going til November!). I had hoped to just rent a car at the port, but I see that's not an option.QUOTE]

cancel your transfers and rent a car from the airport. Doing so will give you transportation to FLL plus have somewhere to stow your luggage until you need to be at the airport. Hop the shuttle at the port of Miami who will take you to the facilities.

or

do an excursion through the cruiselines after your cruise.

Hi, I'm not sure why you say a rental car is not an option? While most of our cruises have been out of FLL we have frequently rented a car from one port and then dropped off at the other airport. I am pretty sure that this can be done with Alamo, Hertz and Budget but check with them for any drop off charges and am sure you will find there aren't any. Hope this helps.

Danyelle, I don't mean to beat a dead horse but are you sure you didn't take one of the shuttles and not a cab?

As per this website per person FLL to Dodge Island port is $15 and $50 for a cab.

http://www.fortlauderdaleinternationalairport.com/airport-shuttle-taxi-rates.htm

On this website MIA to seaport is is $21 but not sure of shared cost

http://www.miami-airport.com/html/taxi_and_shuttle_service.html

Hope that helps as I wouldn't want anyone to get a surprise if they just can't find the stand just outside the door as it is a big airport.

Hi, I'm not sure why you say a rental car is not an option? While most of our cruises have been out of FLL we have frequently rented a car from one port and then dropped off at the other airport. I am pretty sure that this can be done with Alamo, Hertz and Budget but check with them for any drop off charges and am sure you will find there aren't any. Hope this helps.

Just to clarify, you rented a car at the port at Miami?

Thanks.

At both MIA and FLL the rental car companies have buses go to the port just like at the airport. There is usually a location where they all pick-up passenegrs. Just ask any of the port personnel but make sure you check with the rental car company reservation that they do pick up at the port. Hope that helps.

Archived