Carnival Cruise Lines President: 'Conditions Onboard the Ship Are Very Challenging'

LauraS

Why not use lifeboats and get people off?

If its that dangerous to use lifeboats, why bother to have them. Are they just for show? Its inexcusable that there isn't a way to transfer the passengers off the ship. Make it voluntary. Why no ship or helicopter to bring in more supplies and food, porta potties, anything. Why can't they inspect the ship while at sea. Why cant they bring in experts to check it out while its floating around?

I can't get away from the conclusion that Carnival is being cheap. Thats why they don't send a ship. They don't want to admit that lifeboats don't work.

If its that dangerous to use lifeboats, why bother to have them. Are they just for show? Its inexcusable that there isn't a way to transfer the passengers off the ship. Make it voluntary. Why no ship or helicopter to bring in more supplies and food, porta potties, anything. Why can't they inspect the ship while at sea. Why cant they bring in experts to check it out while its floating around?

I can't get away from the conclusion that Carnival is being cheap. Thats why they don't send a ship. They don't want to admit that lifeboats don't work.

As was learned last week on the Majesty launching lifeboats is inherently dangerous. they are only to be used in an emergency that requires evacuation. the Transfer from the pilot boat is inherently dangerous as well. Its my understanding that the experts have been brought on the ship to determine the extent of the damage.

They have been bringing foodstuffs in from other Carnival ships.

transferring people would require the ship to stop.

This is not our area of expertise. You are entitled to your opinion but voluntary doesn't work either. The US Coast Guard is there as well. if they wanted the ship evacuated it would have happened already.

Lifeboats are a LAST RESORT only used if there is danger to life.

If they are two full days from land at 8 knots being towed, how fast do you think a lifeboat travels? They are also far from land so added danger of launching the boats and then being in them for any length of time as well.

Have you been in a tender packed in like sardines. Why would you want to leave a ship and get in a lifeboat (tender)......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There are no spare ships to take on 4,000 people .....and helicopters are out of range.

They are inspecting the ship ....and they now have evaluated that it will take until April to repair....;)

Why did it take so long for the President/CEO of Carnival to hold his press conference? It was also interesting that it was in Miami---maybe it would look better if he were in Mobile waiting to greet the passengers.

He doesn't instill confidence. To the contrary, Carnival would be well served with a leader who acts like a leader instead of taking more than 2 days to address the issue.

Trouble started on Sunday, 150 miles from shore. The broken ship has been visited by another Carnival ship and the broken ship can first get passengers to shore on Thursday. Was Carnival fast enough to react?

I don’t care what the compensation is, it wouldn’t be enough. I feel bad for everyone on the ship.

As was learned last week on the Majesty launching lifeboats is inherently dangerous. they are only to be used in an emergency that requires evacuation. the Transfer from the pilot boat is inherently dangerous as well. Its my understanding that the experts have been brought on the ship to determine the extent of the damage.

They have been bringing foodstuffs in from other Carnival ships.

transferring people would require the ship to stop.

This is not our area of expertise. You are entitled to your opinion but voluntary doesn't work either. The US Coast Guard is there as well. if they wanted the ship evacuated it would have happened already.

If launching lifeboats is that dangerous, there is something seriously wrong with the whole approach of using them to evacuate a ship. The lifeboat falling should not be able to occur. I get the impression that lifeboats are there for show and not use. It is certainly possible to design safer systems.

And I don't see why it should be dangerous. Hasn't everyone tendered ashore? Why is this different? They have tugs there. They could move to ship to shield waves. They could use the other ship as well to help reduce wave action.

I sailed on the Norway with its tenders on the bow. It worked very well to tender. Just got off the Oasis where they refuse to go to any port without a dock. They don't believe they can get the 5000 passengers off in a reasonable amount of time. That doesn't speak well of an evacuation plan. We never saw any of the lifeboats ever used. You don't want the first use to be in an emergency and discover problems at that point.

Have you been in a tender packed in like sardines. Why would you want to leave a ship and get in a lifeboat (tender)......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There are no spare ships to take on 4,000 people .....and helicopters are out of range.

They are inspecting the ship ....and they now have evaluated that it will take until April to repair....;)

Assuming these are serious questions...

The reason to get off the ship is because of the deplorable and dangerous conditions on board. I'd want to be off.

Of course there are ships that can carry the passengers. Either of the two ships that visited would have worked. Can cancel a cruise and take an empty ship or even pack the extra people into a populated ship. Folks are already sleeping deck. What's the difference.

Common coast guard helicopter has a 700 mi range. Plenty to get there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_HH-60_Jayhawk

Earlier communications had said they'd decide how long it will take to repair after an inspection ashore. If they're inspecting now all the better.

Lifeboats are a LAST RESORT only used if there is danger to life.

If they are two full days from land at 8 knots being towed, how fast do you think a lifeboat travels? They are also far from land so added danger of launching the boats and then being in them for any length of time as well.

The point of the lifeboats isn't to get home that way but to transfer to another ship.

Having read in the media about two other Carnival ships having met Triumph and transferred supplies, I am asking why they didn't take the passengers off Triumph and proceed directly to Houston? Tenders could have made the transfer easily and passengers could have been in Houston within 24 hours and the other ships continued on their way. Inexcusable to not evacuate the ship when means were at hand. Carnival obviously placed other considerations ahead of their passengers.

I have worked with people who thought every solution has a problem, or a reason not to do it. And I have worked with people who are determined to find a solution to every problem. I much prefer to surround myself with people who just figure out a way to get it done. Looks like I won't be working for Carnival.

I kinda see people's point about tendering to the other ships. I mean the people are already sleeping on deck because they can't sleep in their rooms.

Why not tender people to one of the ships let them sleep on deck, at least they'd have a bathroom to use, AC, food and water. If I was on board the ship picking them up I wouldn't mind and would help however I could.

Honesty it feels like they want to drag the ship to where-ever works for their needs(dry dock) instead of what's best for the passengers.

Archived