update on little boy who nearly drown on disney ship

hlb76

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/1029105/391/Family-amazed-by-4-year-old-who-nearly-drowned-and-by-community-support

This little man lives down the street from my BIL. I was amazed to hear this story from him right after the accident. I have spent a lot of time following the progress of this little guy. I hope you all can take a minute to keep him in your thoughts and prayers as well. A quick reminder of how life can change in an instant!!

momma WENT to get sun lotion?......just my thoughts..

You really want to go there? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Picking apart the poor guy's grammar?

Most likely meaning of that sentence:

The lotion was in her beach bag, sitting next to the chair. She went to get the lotion out of the bag, and when she looked up, he was gone.

That's consistent with everything else I read about this tragic accident.

Totally scary situation. My toddler likes to run away from me because she thinks its a game and wants Mommy to chase her. Its not funny at all when she tries to run in the street or jump/run down steps which is why I've purchased a harness backpack for her. She'll get good use out of it and this story was just another reminder not to let her out of my sight. I pray that little boy's health continues to improve and I pray for peace for his parents. If something like that happened I'd never forgive myself. This is just too sad. :(

momma WENT to get sun lotion?..and he was under so long, and no one saw him?......just my thoughts..Glad it has worked out so well.

The dad said when Mom realized he was missing they went looking for him. They must've assumed he walked off instead of falling into the pool. Someone else found him in the pool and pulled him out and began CPR.

You really want to go there? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Picking apart the poor guy's grammar?

The lotion was in her beach bag, sitting next to the chair. She went to get the lotion out of the bag, and when she looked up, he was gone.

I don't think the poster was referring to the grammar. It's just a really horrible thing to have happened to that little boy. It breaks my heart.

writer not blaspheming grammar. But questioning mothers attention to her child.

Oh, wow.:(

All moms everywhere can remember a time when they lost sight of their child(ren) for a second and, thankfully, nothing bad happened. They can certainly put themsleves in this Mom's shoes.

My heart goes out to this family!

Exactly.

Potentially tragic story with what looks to be a nice ending. Lots of support which is also positive.

But was this preventable? The child is 4. should ahve had some basic swimming lessons. Did he dive into the pool? fall and bump his head? How long was he in the water before someone noticed him? If he fell seems like someone would ahve noticed right away, like the person being splashed. If he dove into the pool it could take up to a minute before signs of drowning are visiable. But it does take a few minutes before brain cells start dying. Seems to me the Mother didn't just have the lotion in her bag or he wouldn't have just "disappeared" in a second or too that it takes to reach into or pick up a bag, unless he was unruly by habit.

This isn't to fault anyone, but the story does provide a good lesson to parents and children whether cruising or at home especially now that pools are open for the summer and schools are out. First is obviously teach your children to swim. Second is if you have to leave take the child with you or have someone nearby watch them. Children from 3 up should be able to understand and obey a simple partental command of "Sit here til I get back". Parents need to be parents.

Potentially tragic story with what looks to be a nice ending. Lots of support which is also positive.

But was this preventable? The child is 4. should ahve had some basic swimming lessons. Did he dive into the pool? fall and bump his head? How long was he in the water before someone noticed him? If he fell seems like someone would ahve noticed right away, like the person being splashed. If he dove into the pool it could take up to a minute before signs of drowning are visiable. But it does take a few minutes before brain cells start dying. Seems to me the Mother didn't just have the lotion in her bag or he wouldn't have just "disappeared" in a second or too that it takes to reach into or pick up a bag, unless he was unruly by habit.

This isn't to fault anyone, but the story does provide a good lesson to parents and children whether cruising or at home especially now that pools are open for the summer and schools are out. First is obviously teach your children to swim. Second is if you have to leave take the child with you or have someone nearby watch them. Children from 3 up should be able to understand and obey a simple partental command of "Sit here til I get back". Parents need to be parents.

My daughters are 22 and almost 21. As toddlers, they could disappear in an instant. Like when I was standing at the supermarket cash register, opened my bag to pull out my wallet and realized my daughter was no longer at my side, but was looking at a toy display several aisles away. that was maybe 10-15 seconds. :rolleyes:

I guess I wasn't a good parent and should consider myself lucky she lived to adulthood?????

Was not posted to become a parenting debate. But I had not known what happen until this article when he fell in the pool. I think it's human nature to wonder maybe even question.

If you gogle his name Chase Lykken you can find articles about when it happen and how he did with his time in Orlando. There are even a few notes on the Disney board when it happen too. I had to do the research to find the story as well. My BIL had just mentioned all the signs in the neighborhood for a little kid who almost drown on vacation aboard a disney ship. He had not at that the family!

I have been on 3 Disney cruises and those pools are PACKED. How did no one notice him?:confused: Poor baby. I hope and pray he makes a full recovery.

The fact that the pools were so packed made me very uneasy when we were on the Disney Dream - you couldn't see under all the masses of bodies. Coupled with the fact that the Donald pool was over 5 feet deep, I didn't let my younger two (ages 4 and 3) anywhere near that pool, because they are not strong swimmers. Even with my 6 year old, I kept an eye on him like a hawk when he was in there.

It never ceases to amaze me how callous and judgmental some can be after a tragedy. If you want to give parenting advice, write a book and spare us the lecture here on CC.

My prayers to the whole family.

momma WENT to get sun lotion?..and he was under so long, and no one saw him?......just my thoughts..Glad it has worked out so well.

5th post and already deviating from the OPs point. I saw a news report just a couple of weeks ago on TODAY saying just how unnoticed drowning can be. It's not loud and full of splashing like television portrays or what people have in mind. OFTEN kids go unnoticed while drowning in a pool. As a mom myself, I'm not going to even begin to blame her for being negligent. I wasn't there and I can't assume with any good reason that she's anything other than a loving mother. Tragic accidents have their place. This sounds like one of them. I heard the story before and it's been pretty consistent.

My thoughts and prays go out to this precious kid and his family. Continue to get better!

5th post and already deviating from the OPs point. I saw a news report just a couple of weeks ago on TODAY saying just how unnoticed drowning can be. It's not loud and full of splashing like television portrays or what people have in mind. OFTEN kids go unnoticed while drowning in a pool. As a mom myself, I'm not going to even begin to blame her for being negligent. I wasn't there and I can't assume with any good reason that she's anything other than a loving mother. Tragic accidents have their place. This sounds like one of them. I heard the story before and it's been pretty consistent.

My thoughts and prays go out to this precious kid and his family. Continue to get better!

Large parties/crowds are the worst. Think 'someone' is watching when in reality no one is watching.

It never ceases to amaze me how callous and judgmental some can be after a tragedy. If you want to give parenting advice, write a book and spare us the lecture here on CC.

Seriously agree! This is every parent's worst nightmare. No need for judgemental oral diarrhea about it.

Prayers to the family and child's recovery. This is just an awful awful thing to happen.

I'm serious! Geesh. Whose to say he never had swim lessons or that everyone has money to give their child swimming lessons. Trust me, they aren't cheap and no not everyone is able to do it. Nobody needs a lecture on parenting.

I'm serious! Geesh. Whose to say he never had swim lessons or that everyone has money to give their child swimming lessons. Trust me, they aren't cheap and no not everyone is able to do it. Nobody needs a lecture on parenting.

No doubt that kids can be gone in nanosecond, but I did have to comment on this. Swimming lessons are very inexpensive at the local Y or Park and Rec department. In some communities they are even offered free of charge. It is absolutely imperative that children are taught to swim.

My thoughts & prayers are with this family. This is a tragic & life changing accident. I pray that with the medical treatment & physical therapy this sweet little boy will be walking & talking one day.

I know from personal experience how a near drowning can affect the lives of the child & family. Fortunately my child is ok today.

Can you people for once not judge or speculate???

This is a tragic event & I think if your going to spend time typing something other than prayers, thoughts, etc...maybe you should go to another thread.

This Thread was meant for people to be informed & send prayers & good wishes. Spend some time doing that...go tear apart some other thread.

Archived