Second-time Azamara Cruiser with a few comparisons!

AllisonJames

Hi all, Back from our Baltic Cruise and doubt I can do the justice to the experience that Chucktown Steve's extensive review did but wanted to share a few thoughts on my experience on Journey this year as compared to Quest last year.

Love, loved, loved the new menus in Discoveries and overall the food seems much improved. Menu is much more innovative, more to our liking and food presentation creative. Also thought the desserts were much better. Still think the soups are some of the best items on the menu, I had a different one every day and sometimes twice a day.

This is minor but everyone says the only difference between Quest and Journey is the artwork and that seems true. Couldn't really tell we were on a different ship except we like the artwork on Quest better.

Azamara is doing something different with photography and it left us disappointed. Maybe most guests don't like having their photos taken but we really missed the embarkation photo opportunity (which we always purchase on cruises as a memento) and because the scenery in some of the towns where we docked was so pretty we would have appreciated the opportunity to have a photo taken as we came off the ship (Helsinki and Copenhagen were particularly picturesque where we docked)

Enjoyed the new Artist-in-Residence program and seeing the Artist in action and hearing his Q & A in the Living Room. Would have considered purchasing one of his pieces but could never locate a price list and the hours seemed to be limited to evenings when we were at dinner, but maybe I missed something.

Service in Discoveries at dinner was excellent. Dim Sum brunch buffet continues to be one of our favorites and White Night (weather was nice enough to be out on deck, which we didn't get to have last year) was fun. We had a really great Chef's Table experience and enjoyed Prime C. As was the case last year, we found the food in Prime C to be better than Aqualina.

Only criticism I can think of regarding service is the beverage service in Windows at breakfast. They seem not to want you to help yourself to coffee or water (unlike on Quest last year where they had glasses of ice water out that you could just pick up) but several times our order either was forgotten about or came at the end of our breakfast. Oh, and one time I ordered a drink from a waiter who came round the top deck and it never materialized.

Since it's been about 18 months since Journey was refurbished, some of the light-colored upholstery and carpet is showing some wear and tear. We all wondered how all those light colors were going to hold up! Since we'd been on the Quest only 3 months after it's refurbishment, it's understandable that it felt a little more bright and sparkling to us than Journey did this year.

Overall, another wonderful experience and the ports were fabulous and we also enjoyed having two sea days which we didn't get last year on the Irish Seas cruise. We were once again on the Perry Golf package and they did an amazing job. Husband has convinced me to do Irish Seas/British Open again for 2019 and we booked onboard, where we were able to take advantage of our 2 free nights for moving up to Discoverer on this cruise and also get the other benefits. The 2019 prices are VERY high, so appreciated the free nights, but will look to rebook if there's a sale that's more beneficial than the free nights.

Azamara just really feels like home and once again we met a lot of great people, the other guests are so friendly which has not been our experience on other lines! Happy to answer questions.

Very nice report.

I neglected to notice the Dim Sum brunch when we were on the Quest last November. That sounds like something we would really enjoy.

We are also booked on the 2019 British Open cruise which would be our 2nd cruise with Azamara. We are hoping for a sale between now and then to make the cruise more affordable.

Good grief, a dim sum brunch? Something else to look forward to, don't remember that from Journey last year.

Thanks for your thoughtful review. I won't miss the photographer at all! I noticed on Journey as well that once Windows officially opened for breakfast, the staff really preferred to do the serving of coffee and tea.