How does NCL assign GTY cabins?

I've done lots of research but it seems to be a tight lipped secret! Is it actually totally random or is there a method that NCL uses? I booked a GTY balcony on the POA for next July. By that time I will have had been on one sailing and have 14, latitude points, I have booked early, and I am sailing over my birthday so I hope that moves me up the food chain to get the best available cabin they have when they give out the left over balconies (I'm secretly dreaming of a owner's suite but know that won't happen! Really would like a aft though).

We did a balcony GTY on our upcoming cruise.

We were assigned the lowest level balcony, the next week, 9 months prior to the cruise.:confused:

Good Luck

We did a balcony GTY on our upcoming cruise.

We were assigned the lowest level balcony, the next week, 9 months prior to the cruise.:confused:

Good Luck

Did you already pay in full? My understanding is that the room isn't assigned until final payment and up until departure.

• Like 1

We just booked a guaranteed balcony on the Getaway 13 days before sail date. We have only put down $250 deposit.

Yesterday we were assigned a SPA BALCONY!

We have only sailed on the Epic with NCL.

• Like 1

We just booked a guaranteed balcony on the Getaway 13 days before sail date. We have only put down $250 deposit.

Yesterday we were assigned a SPA BALCONY!

We have only sailed on the Epic with NCL.

Something doesn't make sense - if you are only 13 days from sailing, wouldn't you have to pay in full????

Edited by asand5554
  • Like 2

I booked an Ocean View cabin and 4 weeks until sail called to "upgrade" to a guarantee balcony for an extra $150. All of the lowest category balconies were already sold. I was assigned 2 categories higher the next week.

Based on the advice of a seasoned cruiser I booked what I would be satisfied with but left room for upgrades.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I guess is too many factors that ultimate become totally random, it's just a matter of luck. We booked a balcony GTY past cruise on the BA, they are only 4 of those, on deck 8. we said, we would have to be really unluky if we do not get an upgrade. We booked 10 days before the cruise, paid in full and 6 days before the cruise we got a midship balcony on deck 9. it was nice, of course be were hoping for at least a Spa balcony :D, did not happen, LOL LOL LOL.

As far as I know it is random.

And random might be best your best hope for a nicer balcony cabin (the odds of a full suite are so low that dreaming of that is a waste of dream time).

Many people aboard are celebration something (birthday, anniversary, honeymoon, retirement, promotion, survival, etc). If listing a celebration seemed to increase one's odds of an upgrade, everybody would list some celebration or another on every cruise:). And many, many people aboard will have many, many more cruise points than you. I'd say there's nothing wrong with random... Good luck.

• Haha 1

As far as I know it is random.

And random might be best your best hope for a nicer balcony cabin (the odds of a full suite are so low that dreaming of that is a waste of dream time).

Many people aboard are celebration something (birthday, anniversary, honeymoon, retirement, promotion, survival, etc). If listing a celebration seemed to increase one's odds of an upgrade, everybody would list some celebration or another on every cruise:). And many, many people aboard will have many, many more cruise points than you. I'd say there's nothing wrong with random... Good luck.

LOL, that's why I asked about GTY cabins. This is my first (and probably only time) getting a GTY cabin and I did so because of the flight and 2 night resort for 2 promo they are doing. I figure that a majority of cruisers are going to book a specific cabin then hope the "upgrade fairy" comes a calling. I'll be happy with any balcony but was just curious if there was a method of them going through the GTY's and assigning them. From some posts it sounds like there might be an advantage to booking a GTY later when you know the lower cabin classes are already sold out. I still have 368 days before sailing, so will see what I end up with!

LOL, that's why I asked about GTY cabins. This is my first (and probably only time) getting a GTY cabin and I did so because of the flight and 2 night resort for 2 promo they are doing. I figure that a majority of cruisers are going to book a specific cabin then hope the "upgrade fairy" comes a calling. I'll be happy with any balcony but was just curious if there was a method of them going through the GTY's and assigning them. From some posts it sounds like there might be an advantage to booking a GTY later when you know the lower cabin classes are already sold out. I still have 368 days before sailing, so will see what I end up with!

Even "sold out" may not tell the whole tale. From my experience, NCL.com does not always reflect the inventory.

For example I once upgraded to a BA gty when no BA or better balcony cabins were shown as available on ncl.com, nor had any shown for a week or more (I'd been watching for upgrade opportunities). I was fine with anything BA or better, but, from what I saw on line, I thought I might get a minisuite. I was promptly assigned a BA cabin. From that I gathered there may be hidden inventory.

Right now I am holding a IX (inside gty) for the September 22 Star cruise. Only two inside cabins are shown as available right now, both I1. So maybe I'll get an I1 or maybe an upgrade to an obstructed OV or better. Maybe. While I do hope for an upgrade (or an upsell call), I will not be surprised if I am eventually assigned a lower category inside that is currently shown as "sold out". They may be holding one of those "sold out" for me without yet informing me of such. No matter which cabin, I'll be happy to be on the ship. If the upsell fairy eventually calls with a decent offer, I'll be even happier!

I've booked guarantee cabins about three times with NCL, both early and last-minute, and it's always been the same: NCL assigns the cabin almost immediately, and it's always the lowest level of cabin in whatever category I book. I'm okay with that.

We have an MX booked on the Jewel. There are no MB cabins shown as being available...just the usual number of '15' MA's listed. I really don't think this means that we couldn't be assigned an MB down the road because there will be cancellations, upgrades etc etc etc.

Of course I'm hoping for a mid-ship MA but certainly not counting on it.

Edited by cod

Booked my Getaway in April, paid in full well ahead of time but no assignment yet! DD and I will enjoy whatever balcony we are assigned as she has cruised twice before with us but in an OV and last time an inside! I have only twice done a guarantee booking and both times we ended up with favourable room assignments. Here's hoping we keep the streak alive!:D

snow bunny

Edited by snow bunny
Spelling!

Did you already pay in full? My understanding is that the room isn't assigned until final payment and up until departure.

Nope final payment isn't due for another 5 weeks.

I was surprised we got assigned so quickly.

When I have done it another cruiseline we got assigned about a month before sailing

Edited by jonbgd

You are not making sense

If you are 13 days from sailing there is no down payment of $250 as you will be required to pay in full

I don't know why you are disagreeing with me. We booked the 8/2 Getaway on Saturday night, put down a $250 deposit, were assigned the cabin on Monday. We received a call today that if we don't pay in full by noon tomorrow our cruise would be cancelled. We are paying tonight to make sure that doesn't happen.

I am sure this is not the norm, but it is what happened to us.

Have a nice day!

Deb

You are not making sense

If you are 13 days from sailing there is no down payment of $250 as you will be required to pay in full

I don't know why you are disagreeing with me. We booked the 8/2 Getaway on Saturday night, put down a $250 deposit, were assigned the cabin on Monday. We received a call today that if we don't pay in full by noon tomorrow our cruise would be cancelled. We are paying tonight to make sure that doesn't happen.

I am sure this is not the norm, but it is what happened to us.

Have a nice day!

Deb

Next time you post clarity will be your friend

All you needed to say was we put $250 down on Saturday with final payment due on Monday and in the mean time they assigned my cabin

This would have made things understandable

Fwiw I believe another poster had the same query I did

Have a nice day! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just booked Nov 30 cruise as a Balcony GTY on Breakaway and curious to what we will get. The only other GTY we ever booked with NCL was an inside cabin about 3 weeks before the cruise and was given an upper level inside cabin and was pleased.

All our other cruises were balconies or mini's that we chose the cabin and we are Platinum members but I really don't think that will matter. Just so happy to be going on a cruise when we really weren't planning on one again this year.

A few times we 'upgraded' ourselves when we had booked a specific cabin and noticed better cabins for not much more in rate. Twice we requested to be moved to aft balconies when they suddenly became available closer to the cruise, and paid more of course, but not as much if we had originally booked them.

We booked a GTY (BX-Balcony) on the POA in May,2014 ( Hawaii promo bundle, possibly same as yours).

Sail in Jan., 2015 . Final payment due Nov.,2014

Received a nice cabin assignment a few weeks ago.

I have booked a GTY balcony on Epic, it is all fully paid and I travel at the beginning of October, nothing assigned to me yet.

We have a gty on this same sailing and nothing assigned yet.