Can/should we bring a guitar?

kmflutist

Looking for opinions. My husband was asking me if he can bring his guitar on our cruise (it's an acoustic) to practice on occasion. My telling him that I really don't think we'll be in our cabin enough for him to get in any real practice, didn't change his mind.

I really don't think it would disturb people in cabins around us, as he plays pretty quietly (and wouldn't play late at night) but there's just something that makes me feel like it's a bad idea. Since this is our first cruise, I can't put my finger on what it is I don't like about it.

Anyone see why he should/shouldn't bring it along? Thank you in advance! ;)

Everyone will have an opinion but mine is ABSOLUTELY! I can think of many areas on the ship where an acoustic guitar would be so welcomed. In fact if you found an isolated spot on the ship and played it would probably draw a group of appreciative listeners...unless he is just learning.

lol

What a sweet treat that would be. See if they allow it but I am pretty sure it is a none issue. I am sure you'd both be very aware of when it might disturb anyone. Wish you were on our cruise.

Looking for opinions. My husband was asking me if he can bring his guitar on our cruise (it's an acoustic) to practice on occasion. My telling him that I really don't think we'll be in our cabin enough for him to get in any real practice, didn't change his mind.

I really don't think it would disturb people in cabins around us, as he plays pretty quietly (and wouldn't play late at night) but there's just something that makes me feel like it's a bad idea. Since this is our first cruise, I can't put my finger on what it is I don't like about it.

I believe the new rules allow you to bring an instrument, subject to not disturbing others. Maybe check the allowed items FAQ's. ken

I don't care but Carnival has the following in their FAQ's

• Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments onboard, however, if a noise complaint is received it will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

If you are ok with this then bring it on! :D

Thanks to the posters. He is kind of in between learning and being at a level where he could perform. He picked it up as an adult and has been taking private lessons for quite a while now but sadly, I don't think (even if the entertainment was wanted) he's ready to perform in a public area of the ship. :)

Thanks to the posters. He is kind of in between learning and being at a level where he could perform. He picked it up as an adult and has been taking private lessons for quite a while now but sadly, I don't think (even if the entertainment was wanted) he's ready to perform in a public area of the ship. :)

There are many areas of a ship and times when he can practice without anyone ever hearing him so he should have plenty of good practice time.

If it makes him happy I don't see why he shouldn't/couldn't bring it with him :) I've seen several people with guitars on previous cruises. If you have a neighbor that's offended by it they can knock on the door to let you know. They probably won't even hear it as I've yet to hear any sound from cabins on either side of us. Enjoy your cruise :)

There are plenty of professional musicians employed all over the ship. If a passenger is not playing at a professional level, then I think it would be most considerate of other passengers if he played only in the cabin.

As long as the playing is not any louder than normal conversation, I don't see how it would bother anyone... especially not during the day.

There are plenty of professional musicians employed all over the ship. If a passenger is not playing at a professional level, then I think it would be most considerate of other passengers if he played only in the cabin.

As long as the playing is not any louder than normal conversation, I don't see how it would bother anyone... especially not during the day.

Salty - Remember we are talking about a Carnival ship. They hardly have any musicians left on board anymore:D:p:D

The Carnival FAQ says this regarding musical instruments:

• Musical Instruments: We will allow musical instruments onboard, however, if a noise complaint is received it will be confiscated by shipboard security and returned to the guest on the morning of debarkation.

Hope that helps some.

When I cruised with my cousins in '09, one of my cousins brought his guitar onboard because he wanted to play in the talent show. I don't know if he practiced it in his room or not, but I do think he had some practice time on the stage before the talent show.

He did not check the guitar; carried it on with him. We boarded around 11 am, and went straight to the open bar on the Promenade deck and he started playing it while we sat there and had our first drinks. We were the only ones in the bar, so he didn't disturb anyone.

Good to know! When we sailed last year no instruments were allowed and we were disappointed as DH usually travels with his backpacker guitar and I love relaxing and listening to him play.

Dh has brought his backpacker guitar on all 17 of our carnival cruises and never had a problem.

Sorry, but I wouldn't want someone playing the guitar in the room next to mine. Even if it wasn't "late". Sometimes people take quick naps when they come back from excursions, etc. and could be trying to sleep in the middle of the day.

Maggie

I'm with you. If jr. wants to practice...keep it in the cabin..and keep it quiet. I don't want to hear it...period.

Playing in an open area will disturb most people who, like most of us, cruise to get away, to enjoy the ship, the sea, read a book, enjoy sunbathing...not to hear live instruments...unless it's part of the entertainment.....

Carnival is going to have to build bigger Serenity areas if they keep this up.....:D Somewhere those of us who don't like the racket can escape too......

.............Since this is our first cruise, I can't put my finger on what it is I don't like about it.

Check this out if you are flying--

Then see the second one.

On our last Carnival cruise in December, one of the passengers I met on board brought along his horn. He was amazing.

By the second day of the cruise he was sitting in with every band on the ship, and he spent his free time hopping from gig to gig.

I'm sure most of the passengers thought he was one of the paid musicians and not one of them.

It sounds like he will be considerate & the volume should not be an issue. People have the volume of their TVs up so loud I can't imagine soft guitar would be an issue.

Hoping though he is willing to carry the guitar on board - it might not fair well to have the porters tossing it about or stacking 50 suitcases on top of it. I trust a flight is not in order on the way to the cruise ship, hate to think of the shape it might be in rolling off carousel.

There is an advantage to him bringing the guitar, no way is he going to be able to complain of you packing too many shoes!

I don't see a problem with it. But then I'm a practicing amateur musician. Before they started locking all the pianos up I used to find a piano in an out of the way place and sit and practice.

Despite how crowded certain areas of the ship are ... there always seems to be a few areas where you can get away for a 1/2 hour here or there to practice if you had a portable instrument like a guitar.

Archived