Toll Roads while driving to Port Canaveral

cobb2113

One question can anyone tell me about the toll road from Orlando to port Canaveral. With rental car that want to charge 10 a day for electronic pass. Do the tolls accept cash or have they switched to all electronic?

SR-528 accepts cash

watch the signs .... manual pay lanes are to the RIGHT and to some not paying attention look like an exit .... the electron lanes go straight thru with no slowing down .... easy to blow thru if not familiar and not paying attention .. electron toll payment is OPTIONAL on MOST tolls around Orlando. Only a few on/off ramps are electron only.

how rental companies handle electronic tolls in FL varies WIDELY.

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

on occasion the pay lanes on 528, especially the attended lane, can backup significantly. There are exact change lanes and a handful of quarters will see you thru.

Toll is $2- each way. Two 'stops' for $1- each. Just 'exit' to the right to use cash as stated above. Then you can drive right onto the highway again. Six months ago I was 'caught' at one of those unmanned toll exits that needed exact change. We were in a panic- tearing thru wallets and looking under the seats for coins. Could not come up with the required amount. Another motorist came up and gave us coins- so kind. I send him 'thanks' every time I drive by that exit. Hope I can do the same for another panicked tourist some day...

Six months ago I was 'caught' at one of those unmanned toll exits that needed exact change. We were in a panic- tearing thru wallets and looking under the seats for coins. Could not come up with the required amount. Another motorist came up and gave us coins- so kind. I send him 'thanks' every time I drive by that exit. Hope I can do the same for another panicked tourist some day...

Just curious, based on your profile, you live in the area, why did you not have a SunPass?

I just don't go into Orlando very often. Only to pick up guests from the airport. Funny- I was in Publix just the other day and saw the transponders at the check-out lane. I asked how much they were- was told $19.99- and you STILL have to load it with a minimum of $10- for tolls. Wow- maybe if I had to go into Orlando for business... Guess my timing has been OK- have never run in to lines at the toll booth. But it sure does look convenient...

I just don't go into Orlando very often. Only to pick up guests from the airport. Funny- I was in Publix just the other day and saw the transponders at the check-out lane. I asked how much they were- was told $19.99- and you STILL have to load it with a minimum of $10- for tolls. Wow- maybe if I had to go into Orlando for business... Guess my timing has been OK- have never run in to lines at the toll booth. But it sure does look convenient...

That's for the movable one. You can get the stick on type for around $5 and I think it comes with $5 loaded, after you register it. It can't be moved between vehicles though

That's for the movable one. You can get the stick on type for around $5 and I think it comes with $5 loaded, after you register it. It can't be moved between vehicles though

OH!! That makes A LOT more sense... I will ask at Publix. Sounds perfect! I couldn't believe people would actually pay the $19.99...

OH!! That makes A LOT more sense... I will ask at Publix. Sounds perfect! I couldn't believe people would actually pay the $19.99...

If you use it enough, you will pay for it eventually in the reduced toll for having one.

I never even thought of toll roads since We normally drive straight down from Cincinnati and just avoid them, but our next cruise we are visiting my aunt after our cruise ( so excited btw we haven't seen her in over 15 years ) and she lives in Orlando... is there anyway to avoid the tolls?

I never even thought of toll roads since We normally drive straight down from Cincinnati and just avoid them, but our next cruise we are visiting my aunt after our cruise ( so excited btw we haven't seen her in over 15 years ) and she lives in Orlando... is there anyway to avoid the tolls?

Coming from MIA or FLL, take I-95 to SR520 west to SR50 and go west. From Port Canaveral, take SR528 to SR520 west to SR50 west. SR50 goes to downtown Orlando. I guess from MIA or FLL, you could also go up I-95 to US 192 to I-4. Really depends on where in Orlando they are.

Have more than one car?

The $20 version can be moved from car to car ... you can register multiple vehicles to the one pass. Can't do that on the sticker version (and the $5 credit at purchase was offered when it was new .... LONG expired <unless brought back recently> and SUNPASS.COM says not)

Here's a "secret menu item" for the $20 version. If the lic' plate is registered to a SUNPASS, it does not matter if the SUNPASS is actually in the car! The way the system works (appears to) is: if you pass an electron lane with no transponder they take a picture of your tag to get the info for a fine. BUT B4 they process a fine they run the plate against the SUNPASS file to see if the plate was registered. If they find the plate - no fine .... the toll is processed normally. This covers forgetting to pull the pass out of the glove box .. or it was in the other car.

One $20 transponders covers 5 cars for us .... the transponder usually never moves unless we plan to use it for paying the parking fee at MCO - where the machine DOES require the transponder to be there with the car.

I've been using my transponder like this for over 5 years .... not something I THINK works .... I KNOW it works. It does not work with the MINI STICKER version - I had one - and unless they changed the system recently the registration for the MINI allows only ONE tag to be associated with the sticker. I suppose you could change it every time you changed cars . . .

And when you have the sticker, when you buy a new car, you need a new sticker; removing it ... destroys it.

Have more than one car?

The $20 version can be moved from car to car ... you can register multiple vehicles to the one pass. Can't do that on the sticker version (and the $5 credit at purchase was offered when it was new .... LONG expired <unless brought back recently> and SUNPASS.COM says not)

Here's a "secret menu item" for the $20 version. If the lic' plate is registered to a SUNPASS, it does not matter if the SUNPASS is actually in the car! The way the system works (appears to) is: if you pass an electron lane with no transponder they take a picture of your tag to get the info for a fine. BUT B4 they process a fine they run the plate against the SUNPASS file to see if the plate was registered. If they find the plate - no fine .... the toll is processed normally. This covers forgetting to pull the pass out of the glove box .. or it was in the other car.

One $20 transponders covers 5 cars for us .... the transponder usually never moves unless we plan to use it for paying the parking fee at MCO - where the machine DOES require the transponder to be there with the car.

I've been using my transponder like this for over 5 years .... not something I THINK works .... I KNOW it works. It does not work with the MINI STICKER version - I had one - and unless they changed the system recently the registration for the MINI allows only ONE tag to be associated with the sticker. I suppose you could change it every time you changed cars . . .

And when you have the sticker, when you buy a new car, you need a new sticker; removing it ... destroys it.

Wow- thank you SO much. Moved to Rockledge only 2 months ago. So all this local info is very much appreciated.