Fishlips equivalent in Port Everglades

dlong1969

Ok, ok... I know that there are probably better venues for this question. I DID post it in Florida departures, and got SQUAT for responses.

I also tried to search, but came up empty.

Since I know my Royal Caribbean sisters/brethren are very active on this forum, I thought I would try my question here. Hopefully the forum moderators will show me some love and let it stay...

We usually cruise out of Port Canaveral....

Part of our pre-cruise rituals is to get to Florida is to get there a day early and go up to FishLips in Port Canaveral to watch the ships leave.

This year, we are cruising out of Port Everglades. We haven't cruised out of this port since 2009, so it's kinda hard to remember what is there.

A few questions:

1) For those of you familiar with both ports, is there an equivalent in Port Everglades to Fishlips Bar and Grill in Port Canaveral? We would love to be able to watch the ships leave while sipping on a cold one, eating conch fritters, like we usually do from Port Canaveral.

2) Is it possible to "not rent a car"? We are thinking about booking a hotel that will allow have both airport pickup and port drop off.... is that feasible?

3) What recommendations do you have for hotels? When cruising from Port Canaveral, we stay at the Radisson Oceantfront in Melbourne. We are looking for something like this.

Thanks in advance!

Don

I don't know of a casual Fishlips type place that has views of the ships leaving Port Everglades. It's just a different kind of area around Port Everglades. Some really nice high end hotels near the port though.

I know of hotels in the Dania Beach area (Springhill Suites comes to mind) that have free airport shuttle and free port shuttle. However, everything is so close that taxi fares are very reasonable, so having a free port shuttle is not a big deal for us. Sometimes you find the port shuttle more of a hassle because it's going to different hotels and/or different cruise terminals and you've got to wait through all that.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you recommend getting a car? I am not necessarily opposed to it... but if I can avoid the hassle of the rental counter without it being too much of a detriment....

thanks

I generally don't get a car in Port Everglades. We normally stay in a hotel near some restaurants and convenience stores and use a taxi for anything else.

You can try Hyatt Pier 66 Hotel that overlooks the north end of the port. They have a car rental agency at the hotel if you decide to rent one. They also have a rooftop restaurant and bar. One of the port web cams is located on their roof. Not sure about shuttle service to the pier.

Tom

You can try Hyatt Pier 66 Hotel that overlooks the north end of the port. They have a car rental agency at the hotel if you decide to rent one. They also have a rooftop restaurant and bar. One of the port web cams is located on their roof. Not sure about shuttle service to the pier.

Tom

The car rental agency at that hotel is Avis, and they have a free shuttle to/from the cruise terminals.

The car rental agency at that hotel is Avis, and they have a free shuttle to/from the cruise terminals.

Bob, you are correct. A few years ago I rented a car at FL airport(Avis) and dropped it off at the Hyatt, then took the Avis shuttle to the port. I believe it was for hotel and car rental guests though. And believe it was complimentary.

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

Bob, you are correct. A few years ago I rented a car at FL airport(Avis) and dropped it off at the Hyatt, then took the Avis shuttle to the port. I believe it was for hotel and car rental guests though. And believe it was complimentary.

Tom

I agree. We just used it this past March before a cruise on Liberty. The shuttle was quick to take us to the ship after the car was dropped.

Uber can get you around more conveniently and at a lower cost than taxi or car rental.

That's probably true! Uber is a great service.

I was trying to give the OP an option of a place to stay, eat, and see the ships depart from the top of the Hyatt.

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

There really are no restaurants around Port Everglades that offers the "same" type of view and experience that Fishlips does in Port Canaveral for watching the ships pull out. One the best vantage points to watch sail away from Port Everglades is on the SE 17th Street Bridge, but beware that bridge goes up quite often to allow boats to pass.

The Reniassance Hotel is also nice choice and only a few blocks from the Hyatt Pier 66.

If you have time take the water taxi. It's located under the bridge by the Hilton Marina Hotel. For a very minimal price you can tour the river and waterways ending at Olivera Street restaurant district. They have a web site. Just type in Ft.Lauderdale water taxi.

Also, if you can make your way through the neighborhood on the east side of the bridge and get to the beach, you can walk to the jetty to watch the ships depart up close and personal (well worth it). I'm assuming this will be Saturday before your Sunday departure.

Tom

Edited by tsconley19

go to google maps and examine the area around the outlet to the sea. Use the search function for restaurants and you'll find nothing remotely like Fishlips. The only place you can get up close and personal like fish lips are the rocks on the north side of the outlet. No bars/No Food service.

Here's a video that shows both the perspective of the sailaway from both a HAL ship and from the rocks. Should give you a perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySv_pvyW6tc

Others have mentioned no restaurant quite meets what you are looking for, but look into the Water Taxi schedule as they go past the port and have hop on / hop off service at many different bars and restaurants. You'll get a scenic view of the ships, get to restuarants and entertainment, and pretty easy to get around depending on where you are staying.

watertaxi.com

• 1 month later...
Casablanca cafe on A1A.

Miss the old Burt and Jacks. Some of the best meals I have ever had. Damn security procedures killed that place off.

Casablanca is good but you cannot see the ships from there.

Uber is temporarily suspended in Fort Lauderdale.

Rustic Inn has excellent food.

Aruba has excellent food and on the beach. You can see the ships in the distance.

Miss the old Burt and Jacks

OP asked for someplace like Fishlips in Canaveral

the prices at Burt and Jacks were NOTHING like the prices at Fishlips!

Had to park my ship just outside their door for several days .... Fleetweek 1997. Not only did not a single member of the crew eat or drink there, but we kept getting scowls from the parking valets and other staff who did not appreciate such riff raff at their door . . . other places in town were inviting us for free meals as 'it was the thing to do' for Fleetweek .... not B&J's . . .