Toulon/Provence

lovevacadays

We are starting to do some research for our Europe cruise. Avidly reading Trip Advisor. I'm so excited to go to Provence. Since we dock in Toulon what things will we be able to do given travel time? What are your favorite things to do?

Take a look at what the ship offers. Then you can go on your roll call and organize something you like. Last year we went to Provence and saw Arles, Avignon, St. Remy and Les Baux.

Those are the town we want to visit. Did you do a tour? If so, can you provide the URL? Thanks.

A tour guide we have used in the past mentioned that Avignon, Arles etc,. were too distant to tour from Toulon. These towns would be great to visit. He mentioned over 2 hours each way. We passed. Not fun for that time on buses etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Be sure to verify if your ship stops in La Seyne Sur Mer, where most large ships go, or Toulon, Provence. Two different ports. Our cruise called the stop the latter, actual port was the former.

If La Seyne Sur Mer, this post helped us plan our transportation into Toulon and the rest of our day there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1226994

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by pseudoware

• 3 months later...
I have heard good things about Provence Wine Tours. My husband and I have signed up for the Cassis/Bandol one that stops for lunch in Cassis.

yes we did that one a few years ago-enjoyed so much have booked with same company for our port stop Marseilles in October to visit Aix

We were in the middle of several back to back port days when we stopped in Toulon so we took the day off and had a wonderful day just wandering around town.

Based upon what others told us I made a note that on our next stop we would take a bus to a WWII landing site from Place de la Liberte, and take the funicular to Mont Faron. Must say I haven't researched these to see exactly what's involved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful tour by Catherine of Tour Designer in Provence. Our ship was originally scheduled to dock at La Seyne Sur Mer but put into Toulon. Catherine was aware of this and met us there.

We visited the beautiful fishing village of Cassis, toured the market there and took a boat ride to see the Calanques (impressive limestone cliffs). We saw the Cap Canaille and drove up Montagne St. Victoire for a beautiful view of Cassis.

We then traveled to Catherine's home town of Aix-En-Provence. Catherine gave us the option of purchasing some charcuterie for lunch in Cassis or eating in Aix. She took us to one of her favorite restaurants in Aix which was frequented by locals. Lunch was wonderful. We saw the sights of Aix including the Cathedral and the Cours Mirabeau.

Catherine was very knowledgable and pleasant. She patiently waited while I took many photographs and took several of my wife and I as well. She was happy to customize our tour. We felt like we had made a new friend by the end of the day.

I hope you enjoy your visit whatever you decide to do.

We then traveled to Catherine's home town of Aix-En-Provence. Catherine gave us the option of purchasing some charcuterie for lunch in Cassis or eating in Aix. She took us to one of her favorite restaurants in Aix which was frequented by locals. Lunch was wonderful. We saw the sights of Aix including the Cathedral and the Cours Mirabeau.

Afloat, do you remember what restaurant you had lunch at in Aix-en-Provence - ??

• 2 months later...
My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful tour by Catherine of Tour Designer in Provence. Our ship was originally scheduled to dock at La Seyne Sur Mer but put into Toulon. Catherine was aware of this and met us there.

We visited the beautiful fishing village of Cassis, toured the market there and took a boat ride to see the Calanques (impressive limestone cliffs). We saw the Cap Canaille and drove up Montagne St. Victoire for a beautiful view of Cassis.

Catherine was very knowledgable and pleasant. She patiently waited while I took many photographs and took several of my wife and I as well. She was happy to customize our tour. We felt like we had made a new friend by the end of the day.

We enjoyed a tour with Catherine in 2008. So happy to hear she is still doing tours. We'll be in Toulon next September so I'll contact her for tour recommendations. We also ate in a wonderful restaurant, but I can't remember the name. We had one of our favorite meals there. Would love to go again.

Thanks,

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

I wrote to Catherine several weeks ago and haven't heard back. When did you do the tour with her?

Thanks,

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

We (a family group of 6 adults) can highly recommend William (Guillaume) Bertrand of Provence Trips and Tours (http://www.provence-trips.com/. He is knowledgeable, informative and entertaining and will design a tour for you. We went to Sanary sur Mer as a first stop before any other tourists arrived and visited the town and the open air market, then went to Bandol and visited a wonderful winery for a wine tasting that included a visit to the family's private museum of wine making implements, and then had a lovely lunch in a hill town overlooking Castelet.

• 3 weeks later...
We (a family group of 6 adults) can highly recommend William (Guillaume) Bertrand of Provence Trips and Tours (http://www.provence-trips.com/. He is knowledgeable, informative and entertaining and will design a tour for you. We went to Sanary sur Mer as a first stop before any other tourists arrived and visited the town and the open air market, then went to Bandol and visited a wonderful winery for a wine tasting that included a visit to the family's private museum of wine making implements, and then had a lovely lunch in a hill town overlooking Castelet.

Thanks for the information. How long did it take to get to Sanary due Mer?

Susan

• 2 weeks later...
You may be interested in this one https://provenceprivatetour.com/tours/lavender-tour/

We made it in june with my wife and we had the greatest day of our cruise.

Our guide was Romain. I even kept his phone number if you want. He was perfect and drove us in a beautiful Jaguar with champagne included.

Regards

Thanks ! I'll check it out.

Susan