Do ships dock at different places?

3kids1dog

I am a little bit confused. In researching all this, I am finding things I would like to do in St. Croix, most of them are in Fredrikstead (sp?). I would like to snorkel the pier and go to Freedom City. But, I am on the Jewel of the Sea, and it sounds like we dock in Christianstead (sp?) which is closer to Rainbow Beach and Sand Castle. Is this correct?

I am a little bit confused. In researching all this, I am finding things I would like to do in St. Croix, most of them are in Fredrikstead (sp?). I would like to snorkel the pier and go to Freedom City. But, I am on the Jewel of the Sea, and it sounds like we dock in Christianstead (sp?) which is closer to Rainbow Beach and Sand Castle. Is this correct?

You are very confused my friend, let me straighten you out. All major cruise ships (anything more than 500 passengers) docks in Frederiksted. Christiansted harbor is not deep enough for big ships. All of the beaches you mentioned are in Frederiksted, very near the pier.

Okay, so if I want to snorkel by the pier (is that the same pier our ship comes in on?) And how would we get to Freedom City? You are right, I am very confused!

Ignore my awesome writing skills but I hope this helps!ba4f7628a3a61e438cd81cef5ad9a129.jpg

You can easily walk along the beach! No taxi needed. Yes the pier is the one that your ship docks on.

Edited by drake2014

So, if it were you that was the tourist, would you just snorkel right at the beach that is the closest, would you go to Buck Island, or would you go to Sandcastle Beach? I will be there on a Wednesday.... Thanks so much. Your posts are incredibly helpful!!!

So, if it were you that was the tourist, would you just snorkel right at the beach that is the closest, would you go to Buck Island, or would you go to Sandcastle Beach? I will be there on a Wednesday.... Thanks so much. Your posts are incredibly helpful!!!

On a Wednesday I'd go to Freedom City. Get a painkiller, eat tacos, snorkel, swim, try paddle boarding, enjoy your day. :)

Would love to hear your opinions on good food/drink with beach view near the pier?

:)

Freedom City is actually on the beach, hard to beat that. As I've mentioned before I eat the tacos there at least once a week.

Sandcastle has a simply fantastic Sunday brunch with great views and pretty good food the rest of the week.

Turtles deli makes the best sandwiches I've ever had. They are closed on Sunday though.

I think that's a good start!

Had another question, we will be in port on a Sunday are the stores open in both Frederiksted and Christiansted?

Well it depends, the tourist shops right along the water will be open in Frederiksted, the further you get from the pier and the water the less will be open. I've never been to Christiansted on a ship day so I don't know for sure but I imagine it would be similar, the stores and restaurants on the boardwalk should be open.