Sailing from NOLA on Easter

Cruiseme0613

Hello,

DH and I are sailing on the Dream out of NOLA on Easter this year. We typically arrive at the port at 10:30, however I have been reading about the parades and early church services that draw big crowds. I read something that said the main parade starts at 9. My question is, how will the parade affect traffic to the port? We are planning on using the port parking, so I assume that finding a spot won't be an issue. Would it be beneficial to arrive at the port around 8:30 or 9, park and then walk around until we begin the embarkation process? I don't want to get caught in the crowds disembarking that morning either though. What time do they open the doors to start standing in line for embarkation? I'm sorry for all the questions! This is our first time sailing from NOLA, and I'm a little nervous bc there is so much going on! Also, we want to get on board early, so we aren't interested in waiting until the afternoon to drive to the port. Thanks!!

Hello,

DH and I are sailing on the Dream out of NOLA on Easter this year. We typically arrive at the port at 10:30, however I have been reading about the parades and early church services that draw big crowds. I read something that said the main parade starts at 9. My question is, how will the parade affect traffic to the port? We are planning on using the port parking, so I assume that finding a spot won't be an issue. Would it be beneficial to arrive at the port around 8:30 or 9, park and then walk around until we begin the embarkation process? I don't want to get caught in the crowds disembarking that morning either though. What time do they open the doors to start standing in line for embarkation? I'm sorry for all the questions! This is our first time sailing from NOLA, and I'm a little nervous bc there is so much going on! Also, we want to get on board early, so we aren't interested in waiting until the afternoon to drive to the port. Thanks!!

You should be clear of the parade route if you are coming in on I-10, etc. You won't be going through the FQ where the parades are. When you arrive at the port on Julia Street, there is a luggage drop off. (There are plenty of security guards to direct you in the right direction). Once the porters take your luggage, you then have to drive a little further down to across the railroad tracks to part in the Whale Lot. It's a little bit of a walk back up to the port if you aren't much of a walker, plus having your carry on luggage. There is, however, a streetcar stop right there where you cross the tracks, in case you want to venture down toward the FQ, etc. You can buy a day pass which will allow off and on all day for, I think $3.00pp. There's not much of anything to do at the port itself to kill time, so you might want to take a little ride down to the FQ area.

We parked at the Whale Lot last time we cruised from NOLA, but the time before that and for our next cruise on 4/4/15, we are using Machu Picchu Tours. You drive straight to their lot, they shuttle you and your luggage to the port, your car is left in their secured parking lot, and when you return they are there to get you and take you to your car. Since we are staying in NOLA 1 night pre-cruise, they will take us and just our overnight bag to the hotel, then pick us up at the designated time the next morning (they transfer our luggage to the shuttle). It works well for us and no lugging our carry on up from the Whale Lot.

You should be clear of the parade route if you are coming in on I-10, etc. You won't be going through the FQ where the parades are. When you arrive at the port on Julia Street, there is a luggage drop off. (There are plenty of security guards to direct you in the right direction). Once the porters take your luggage, you then have to drive a little further down to across the railroad tracks to part in the Whale Lot. It's a little bit of a walk back up to the port if you aren't much of a walker, plus having your carry on luggage. There is, however, a streetcar stop right there where you cross the tracks, in case you want to venture down toward the FQ, etc. You can buy a day pass which will allow off and on all day for, I think $3.00pp. There's not much of anything to do at the port itself to kill time, so you might want to take a little ride down to the FQ area.

We parked at the Whale Lot last time we cruised from NOLA, but the time before that and for our next cruise on 4/4/15, we are using Machu Picchu Tours. You drive straight to their lot, they shuttle you and your luggage to the port, your car is left in their secured parking lot, and when you return they are there to get you and take you to your car. Since we are staying in NOLA 1 night pre-cruise, they will take us and just our overnight bag to the hotel, then pick us up at the designated time the next morning (they transfer our luggage to the shuttle). It works well for us and no lugging our carry on up from the Whale Lot.

Thanks for the info! Do you cruise Carnival? From what I've read, it looks like we won't be parking in the Whale lot. Instead we will be parking in the parking deck floors 3-6 above Carnivals embarkation area. But, I have no clue, so I could be completely wrong! I'm happy to know traffic won't be a problem. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about being caught by the parade. There is no comparison to the typical Mardi Gras parades which snake for miles starting Uptown and eventually ending up downtown by the Convention Center/Downtown. The Easter parades are small affairs that are contained in the French Quarter. I would maybe give myself an additional 30 minute buffer, but see no reason to get there at the crack of dawn.

I wouldn't worry about being caught by the parade. There is no comparison to the typical Mardi Gras parades which snake for miles starting Uptown and eventually ending up downtown by the Convention Center/Downtown. The Easter parades are small affairs that are contained in the French Quarter. I would maybe give myself an additional 30 minute buffer, but see no reason to get there at the crack of dawn.

Ok great! Thank you! I imagine we might aim for a 10 am arrival instead of our usual 10:30, bc I don't want to arrive super early if it's unnecessary!