Costa Magica - Caso de Campo

elaineb

Ok - I'm going crazy trying to find some info for my DS who is leaving next Sunday on the Magica. The itinerary says Caso de Campo, Dominican Republic. But I can't seem to find much info on this on the DR boards. They keep referring to Catalina island or La Romana. So where exactly does the Magica tender or dock??? And are there any beaches nearby, or do you have to purchase a beach excursion through the ship? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

We are going there also on Magica in April, if you go to the Costa web site and put in your booking # then look at the excursions there are some things you can book through the cruise line. also on this board under Dominic Republic I think I saw some info.I thought it was Costa's private island, but I think I was wrong.

Catalina island is a privat island of a hotel, I think the name is Casa de Campo, in the Dominican Republic. They rent it out on Costa and another cruise line. There is nothing but beaches. I read that there are no paths in the woods behind the beach. Our cruise on the Mediterranean will stop there from 8 am to 5 pm. At 6 pm we will dock in La Romana, and if memory serves that dock is called Caso de Campo. We have been there last ear with the Aidavita. Aida is a the German daughter of Costa.

I hope I could help you.

I too have been trying to research this area and from I've gathered, the ship docks at an industrial area near a sugar processing plant in a river at La Romana; there is litterally nothing there except a Coke machine. Taxi's await to tote cruisers. Casa de Campo, a few miles away is a huge resort complex and there are portions of it that are accesible to cruise passengers. Costa offers various excursions including one to Catalina Island, one to a beach, one to a recreated 18th century village and Casa de Campo. Very limited options compared to most other ports and I've seen several posts warning about safety issues for those venturing out on there own.

Good luck......

Casa is a resort close by that you can taxi to. We did this and walked right in found the pool and had a few drinks. Nothing special at all. I think we were the only ones fron the boat that went. Everyone went to the village. Hope you enjoy yourself. :mad: We've cruised 5 other times and this was the WORST. Food was BORING and rude service except for room. There was 80 % old people that smelled like urine the whole time. Saw a old guy getting into the hot tub, with toilet paper coming out of his suit and then it plopped on the floor. Ahhh didn't get in that hot tub:eek: .

Ok - I'm going crazy trying to find some info for my DS who is leaving next Sunday on the Magica. The itinerary says Caso de Campo, Dominican Republic. But I can't seem to find much info on this on the DR boards. They keep referring to Catalina island or La Romana. So where exactly does the Magica tender or dock??? And are there any beaches nearby, or do you have to purchase a beach excursion through the ship? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

We did go on an excursion. We had originally planned on going to Casa Del Mar(all inclusive resort) and spend half a day there. They cancelled that and we took an excursion to a sugar cane plantation. It was enjoyable.

I'm not sure what a lot of people expect, you are in a third world country. :cool:

The way I see it you are there to experience a different culture.

All in all we had a great time on our cruise. Great Food, Great Service. Didn't use pools or hot tubs, not too into public wallowing troughs.

The ship docks at La Romana, nothing much going on there! Casa de Campo is an area just east of La Romana which is like 40 sqaure miles, golf courses, a 17th century village (LOL built in 1978), fancy homes of the rich and famous like Bill Clinton, Shakira, a Greek amphitheater. You can take a minibus from the pier for $6 each, return. It is only about 5 miles or so from the pier. You can also take a minibus to downtown La Romana for $4 each return.

When we were there 2 weeks ago, we rented a car from AVIS, they have an office

in downtown La Romana and drove north to a couple of different beaches, nothing too fancy but nice beaches.

I will be on my 5th Costa cruise March 4 2007 and we will again be on the eastern run. I am not to happy that there are only 2 beach stops on this run. I do not consider La Romana where they charge you $48.usd a person to be tendered to Catalina Island....an Island that was always a free stop every other year. Maybe this is a sure fire way to increase revenues for that particular stop. I will try to see if there are any local beaches we could possibly take a cab to. A family of 4 will have to spend $192 on this stop alone to go to a beach....doesn't sound right to me.

Anyways TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!:rolleyes:

Archived