Worried about getting seasick

Ladyaruba

Going on the noordam from Seward to Vancouver June 2018. Do a lot of people get sea sick?

Any suggestions or ideas other than Bonine?

I have also heard about "sea legs"! How is that?

Check with a medical professional familiar with your history.

Common options: Meclazine (Bonnie), Dramamine, Scopolamine (transdermal patch), Ginger pills (pills and assorted other delivery mechanisms - candy, tea, etc.), and sea bands.

My wife and I did this itinerary on a different cruise line a couple of years ago. We enjoyed it very much and didn't experience any rough seas at all. Sea legs is an expression that means that you get adjusted to the motion of the ship. The ship we were on was about the same size as the one you are going on and we were very comfortable with very little rocking. Don't worry. Be happy. You're going on a cruise to Alaska. It's amazing!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

My wife and I did this itinerary on a different cruise line a couple of years ago. We enjoyed it very much and didn't experience any rough seas at all. Sea legs is an expression that means that you get adjusted to the motion of the ship. The ship we were on was about the same size as the one you are going on and we were very comfortable with very little rocking. Don't worry. Be happy. You're going on a cruise to Alaska. It's amazing!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Thanks Jim! Will spend some time looking at the site!

Thanks everyone. I planned in checking with my DR but wasn't sure if anything was needed!

What we use for high seas is TransDerm Scops (Scopalomine) but this is by prescription only and you need to ask your doctor if it is appropriate for you and then your doctor has to prescribe it. Sometimes the seas are fine and there is no problem in the ocean going up or coming down from Vancouver, other times, the ship is rocking and rolling, so it is best to go prepared. We usually put the patches on before the ship departs. They are good for 3 days, and once we are up visiting ports in Alaska, we don't need them anymore. Since you are going down to Vancouver, at most you would likely only need the patch for the last 2 days of your cruise. It makes your mouth dry and makes your vision a bit blurry. I feel rather drunk on it - so I save on the bar bill! LOL! On the other hand, it's better than barfing in high seas. IF you cannot have the Scops Bonine is good and if you feel seasick, lie down and put a bag of ice or a can of ice cold soda on the front of your neck which causes the feeling of wanting to vomit to subside. Remain lying down as much as possible until the seas become more calm. The doctor onboard your ship is also available and an expert at treating seasickness. Go see him should this become a problem for you.

Unfortunately, one cruiser's calm seas experience has no bearing on another ship, on another date, having calm seas. Rough or calm seas can happen anytime, anywhere. Hopefully the OP will indeed have calm seas and smooth sailing, but please don't fool yourself into false expectations.

As to the motion sickness, if you don't experience it on other modes of transportation, there's a good chance you won't experience it on a ship either. Under most normal circumstances, at least. Very rough seas can adversely effect even the most seasoned seafarers, however, so it is best to be prepared. Don't hesitate to contact the medical staff on board if you start feeling symptoms. They are quite experienced at treating it.

Hope you have a wonderful time. Alaska truly is amazing.

Going on the noordam from Seward to Vancouver June 2018. Do a lot of people get sea sick?

Any suggestions or ideas other than Bonine?

I have also heard about "sea legs"! How is that?

The best place to get a cabin is lower down on the ship and mid ship. That is where there is less rolling and up and down movement. The higher you go or forward or aft you go on any deck the more movement. Of course while out and about on the ship, you will be in the rocky spots, but at least in your cabin the movement would be less.

I got very sick on my first cruise and I was using the patch that goes behind your ear. Now I can't be without motionease. It is like an all natural essential oil that is also safe for kids. Works great for road trips and the flu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums