Questions for ISA65

MDR Cali Cruisers

We will be in port from 1pm to 10pm (2-11 local) in November and decided we would like to go on Bounty Adventures Sunset cruise. I have emailed with them and they told me they meet at the Pirate's Nest bar. They also told me it would take 20-30 minutes by car to get to that location from the mega pier which I believe is where we will be docked.

I would really like to spend as much time exploring the port area before heading to the Pirate's Nest. Whether we left from the pier area or while wandering around town would you agree it will take that long to get there?

Do you know the approximate taxi fare?

They offer RT transportation for $9 extra, but we wouldn't have much time to explore beforehand and couldn't hang out at pirate's nest afterward. It also sounds like most things would be closed in port when we returned.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on above. TIY!

Sorry for the delay.

What time is your excursion with Bounty? Because you could easily explore the downtown area and then get a cab to Pirate's Nest.

Remember to take a cab on the same side of the pontoon bridge as the ship docks. If you take the cab on the other side it would be so much higher, because the taxi would have to go over the high bridge.

I would presume the cab fare would be around $15 each way as the Pirate's Nest bar is about 10 minutes away from the ship (don't know why they said 20-30 minutes).

Shops all close around 6 pm, so if possible - get your shopping done prior to the Sunset cruise.

Thanks for your reply ISA65. I have to be honest I'm a bit confused on the timing too. In their email to me they said the sunset cruise is from 4:00 to 18:30 and their transportation pick-up was 3:30. On their website it says the sunset cruise is at 4:30. So, maybe they're just trying to make sure you're getting there early.

Either way it sounds like if we get off the ship asap we should have some time to check out the port prior to catching a cab. Thank you for the tip regarding which side of the pontoon bridge to catch the cab. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ISA:

I was checking out a Curacao map and it looks like it would be better if we were on the other side of the pontoon bridge as opposed to the same side as the mega pier to catch the cab.

I noticed there's a place called Pirate's Bay (to the West) which looks pretty close and you would definitely want to be on the mega pier side.

Pirate's Nest is just past or in Jan Thiel near the Caracasbaai Roundabout and/or the Hyatt as far as I can tell. Knowing that area how long do you think it would take us to get to Pirate's Nest from the East side of the pontoon bridge vs the mega pier?

Thanks! :)

Ahhhh.... that place keep's changing names. I was thinking about Pirate's BAY.

To get to the Caracasbaai roundabout it would take about 15 minutes by cab (longer depending on traffic, as the Caracasbaaiweg is one of the busiest roads on the island). And you'll definitely want to catch the taxi at the Punda side (other side of the canal than the Mega Pier).

Sorry for the confusion.

Ahhhh.... that place keep's changing names. I was thinking about Pirate's BAY.

To get to the Caracasbaai roundabout it would take about 15 minutes by cab (longer depending on traffic, as the Caracasbaaiweg is one of the busiest roads on the island). And you'll definitely want to catch the taxi at the Punda side (other side of the canal than the Mega Pier).

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks ISA! I'm glad I double checked with you. :)

No, there aren't any horseback riding tours on Curacao, like you would have at other Caribbean ports of call.

There is one horseback riding school called Societe Hypique where you can "rent" horses, but there is no specific tour.