New Zealand Australia Review cruise/land December 13 **pics**

I started this review months ago and fell off along the way somewhere. Now that the same time of year is approaching, I felt I should get back on and post this in case I can provide info or ideas for people traveling this year.

Here goes.....

What a dream vacation. This trip it was my Mom, husband and myself. It was hard to leave the kids over Christmas and New Years but as I live Texas and work for a University, the holidays were the best time to take this trip. Winter in the US means Summer down under and being Christmas time, there were less vacation days to use. We went an 18 day trip of a lifetime. 12 day cruise the Diamond Princess from Auckland NZ to Sydney Australia and then a few days after the cruise to visit Ayers Rock and the Great Barrier Reef.

We decided on this trip a little late in the game, August, so there wasn’t much choice on cabins for 3 within our price range. Also, the airfare only 4 months out and at Christmas time was a bit steep. We made it work though. We flew out of Dallas/Ft. Worth and stopped over in Brisbane, then changed planes in Sydney to make our way Aukland NZ.

20131220_213920.jpg

This is the furthest I have ever flown and I was impressed by the food and snacks available during the flight. I also loved the screens on the seatbacks showing our location. It was too cool to fly over the intersection of the equator and the international date line.

IMG_0427.JPG

I didn’t realize that when we stopped over in Brisbane that we would have to deplane, go thru security, go back thru the gate, then get back on the plane in our original seats. The flight from Brisbane to Sydney was just over an hour and to our surprise, there was another snack. Upon arriving in Sydney, it was a LONG walk to our connection. Mom took a ride there while, Julio and I walked. After almost 20 hours in a plane, we arrived in Auckland NZ, ready to start our vacation.

IMG_0462.JPG

We chose to take the Super Shuttle to our hotel. It was $51 USD for the three of us. We stopped at one other hotel first , then ours, so it wasn’t inconvenient at all. Between the 3 of us we had 4 suitcases and 3 carryons. It was great to have transportation that could accommodate it all.

We stayed at the Copthorne Harbor City Hotel. It is located about a block and a half away from where the ship docked. Great location and a decent rate of $128 NZ. Our room had a queen bed and two twin beds. Perfect for us.

IMG_0471.JPG

We spent the evening walking around the harbor area. Lots of places to eat and have drinks. The Wildfire seemed pretty popular. We didn’t stay up too late after it being almost a full 24 since we left home to our bodies. There had been plans to head over to Ponsonby District, but we didn't make it there, we settled back in at the hotel instead to be refreshed the next day.

I was up early the next morning and got ready and headed to the lobby use the free wi-fi. You need a password, but I easily got that from the front desk. Quickly sent an email to friends and family back home that we had safely made it New Zealand. Pretty soon Mom and Julio were up and we headed out to explore Aukland for the day. We had a great view that greeted us as we stepped outside.

20131223_061109.jpg

We headed down the street and had a quick breakfast at McDonald’s and then headed back to the hotel. Since we had several bags, we decided to check half in the hotel storage and go ahead and check the other half in at the dock with early check-in. They stored the bags in containers right there at the dock. I loved all of the Christmas decorations downtown.

IMG_0476.JPG

The Britomart is just up the road from the dock. The plan was to take the bus over to Mt. Eden and hike up to the summit. We found the bus easily and were on our way. We told the bus driver where we were wanting to go just as a backup in case we didn't catch the unfamiliar stop.

IMG_0533.JPG

The climb up wasn’t very bad. Mom is 80 and did very well. There area few benches on the way up and the view is so worth it.

IMG_0509.JPG

It was neat to see down into the dormant volcano’s crater and read some history of Auckland on some markers at the top.

IMG_0524.JPG

We stayed up there quite a while and then walked a different way down. No troubles catching the bus back. We took a different bus back and got off i atSumonds street and walked over to Queen Street and visited a few shops. One that was on my list from before leaving home was Moustache Milk and Cookie Bar. Yummy goodies. I was hoping to buy a T-shirt there but they didnt sell them. Mom got a Black Forest cookie and I got an Oreo Marshmallow Cookie. So good.

IMG_0539.JPG

We took the free Queen street bus a bit and then got off to look around at some more shops and more Christmas decorations. We also took in more sights of Auckland including a street performer.

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

We decided it was time to head back to the hotel to collect the rest of our bags and get our cruise started.

IMG_0555.JPG

I guess I should have included it in the first post, but this was our itinerary.

itinerrary.PNG

The check in process was a bit different than other cruises for us. I’m guessing maybe because we start in one country and end in another. It didn’t take very long though. We got our customs forms filled out and before we knew it, we were on board and headed to our cabin. We had an inside cabin on Baja Deck (11). Some of our luggage was already waiting for us. We had arranged for the twin beds to be separated for Mom and Julio, and I would sleep in the top bunk. It worked out perfectly to have the space between the two beds.

IMG_0557.JPG

We head up to the buffet to get some food before sailaway. We weren’t overly impressed with the buffet. It would have been nice to have a bit of a difference on the two sides. Not everything but a few different dishes. There desserts mixed in with snacks, it just didn't seem very organized to me. I also didn't appreciate a “guard” being posted at the entrance making sure everyone used the hand sanitizer. The self service drinks were only coffee, tea or water. If you wanted lemonade or juice you had to catch a waiter to ask. I’d prefer getting my own sometimes.

Back at the room, we decorated a bit for Christmas, especially our door so it would stand out and be more easily recognizable.

IMG_0579.JPG

The mandatory muster drill was painless and for us was held in Club Fusion. Mom was exempt since the elevators were shut down and this would have meant she would have to go down 4 flights of stairs. She stayed behind and unpacked. The drill only lasted about 20 minutes or so. All very orderly. We picked up Mom from the cabin and went up top for sail away.

IMG_0586.JPG

We toasted Bon Voyage with a mojito and watched the sun set and Auckland disappear into the distance.

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

We chose anytime dining for this cruise. Our first time doing so. No rush to be at our table after a full day seemed nice so we gave it a try. Easier with only three of us as well.

The Santa Fe dining room was our first dining room to try. We all got different choices and we happy for the most part. The steak was a little dry, but overall the meal was great.

I had the signature “Love Boat Dream” for dessert. It was yummy, but I doubt it will be an everyday thing.

IMG_0613.JPG

There went any activities going on that were a “must see” to any of us so we headed to our cabin for Julio and I to get organized. We went over the plans for the next day and called it a night.

Our first stop was Taraunga NZ. Mom and I were headed off the ship early to head to Rotorua so we hit the buffet so we could manage our time better. Julio was staying on board longer for a 10 am Hobbiton tour, but he joined us as well.

IMG_0620.JPG

Mom and I got off the ship about 7:30 and walked down Salisbury Avenue to the bus stop. From there we took the Twin City Express bus over to Rotorua for about $11 NZD.

P7280002.JPG

When we arrived at Rotorua CBD we transferred over to the Route 1 bus and rode to Skyline Rotorua for a Gondola/Luge ride.

P7280009.JPG

What a blast we had purchased the Gondola/3 Luge combo ticket online before leaving home and were able to bypass a line. There are 3 levels of experience tracks. We did beginner once and intermediate twice.

P7280014.JPG

The gondola ride takes you up and down to/from the ticket center. To go back up after the luge ride, you take a ski life. Beautiful views.

P7280012.JPG

Julio purchased a Hobbiton Movie Set tour through Shore Trips and Tours dot com. They met the bus right outside the port gate. They had a large sign with the names of those joining the tour. The guide was very knowledgeable and talked the whole way there.

IMG_0635.JPG

The tour group was small and very personal. They took an in depth look at the Hobbit movie set, and continue on to the Green Dragon Pub for a lunch that was included. Plenty of time for lots of pictures.

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

He totally enjoyed be able experience the sites of a favorite movie. It was GREAT too that the movie was playing on board the ship.

While Julio was touring Hobbiton, Mom’s and my day was continuing on in Rotorua. After the Gondola/Luge experience, we walked up the road a bit to particiapate in another first. Riding in a Zorb at OGO.

P7280016.JPG

Again, we had purchased our tickets online, A water zorb ride for me and a harness ride for Mom. We got there and it was a bit breezy so they delayed Mom and I was all set up for my ride.

P7280024.JPG

What a completely amazing experience. I can begin to describe how fun this was!!!!

DSC_5517.JPG

After waiting a bit, the winds did not die down and was determined that it wasn’t going to be possible for Mom to ride the harness Zorb. It rolls straight down the hill and with no barrier, it might blow the wrong way. After some discussion she agreed that she would regret it if she didn't do the water Zorb even though it was cold. She had to wear my wet swim clothes since she didn't bring any (poor thing). She agreed (some hours later and after she was warm) that she was very glad she did it.

DSC_5630.JPG

We walked back down the road to the bus stop near the Gondola and rode back to Rotorua CBD. It was about a 10 minute wait so we snacked on some snacks we brought with us for lunch. Once back in town, we walked around a bit and waited for the afternoon Twin City Express bus to take us back to Tauranga. The bus ride to and from was beautiful. Lots of kiwi crops growing.We arrived a little after 5 and walked back to the ship. Julio was already back on board.

Back on board we ate at the Savoy Dining Room. Everyone was happy with the choices. Shrimp, Chicken Alfredo or Pork Chops. All were delicious.

IMG_0759.JPG

When we got back to our rooms we had a nice surprise. Little Christmas stockings for Christmas Eve were on our pillows along with some candy. Julio felt like a cold was coming on so after a bit of Christmas Trivia game, we headed back to cabin.

IMG_0765.JPG

Christmas Day at sea. I got up early and wandered around the ship. Felt weird to be on a ship without my children. Stranger more to know that it wasn’t even Christmas yet at home.

IMG_0770.JPG

We ate Christmas breakfast in the dining room with two other couples. I love dining with others and hearing about what they have done and what all they have planned. Even though most of our activities were planned, it is still fun to me. Eggs benedict and ice cold orange juice were perfect. We even had egg nog. We went back to the room and exchange Christmas Cards. Needless to say with the expense of this trip, we didn’t exchange gifts.

We had arranged a Meet and Greet on Cruise Critic and some of us also planned to participate in a white elephant gift exchange. It was such fun. Lovely to meet several folks from the roll call and put faces to names. We all rotated around and had drinks. Lots of people visiting and getting to know each other.

IMG_0791.JPG

Then came time for the gift exchange. Lots of laughter and fun all around. Lots of people brought gifts from their hometown, state or country. I was the first time I’ve had this much fun from a roll call.

IMG_0787.JPG

Good gifts were received and then stolen and funny gifts made the rotation too. What a great way to spend Christmas away from home.

We headed to the buffet for lunch and then Mom and I played some trivia while Julio took a nap still fighting his cold. We did terribly at trivia but had a fun time losing.

Before dinner Julio and I participated in the champagne tower in the lobby. It was a different experience. I thought for sure those glasses would come crashing down

IMG_0797.JPG

Dressing up we went to back to the Savoy Restaurant for Christmas Dinner. Great waiter who told us that each restaurant has signature dishes that aren’t on the menu. Good to know. All of appetizers and dinner were delicious.

IMG_0802.JPG

As was the gingerbread soufflé we had for dessert.

IMG_0808.JPG

They had Christmas “crackers” on the table and that was new to us too. Such a great evening.

IMG_0814.JPG

We wandered around the ship looking at Gingerbread houses from an earlier competition and loads of decorated Christmas trees

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

There was Christmas music playing everywhere. We enjoyed taking some professional pictures for Christmas too. Tomorrow we tender to Akaroa so an early start.

Next stop - Akaroa NZ. Due to the remaining damage in Christchurch, we still had to dock in Akaroa. This is a “tender” port so up early and on our to get tickets for the tender. Mom took the Princess excursion “Tranz Alpine Railway” and had to be at the Wheelhouse Bar early as well. I was happy to see eggnog at the buffet. I guess there weren’t too many takers on Christmas so they had leftovers. Fine by me. Julio and I were on tender #2. It was a cloudy rainy looking day and a breezy 58 degrees.

IMG_0831.JPG

We had kayaking planned in the afternoon so we hoped the weather would clear up. We were in port after a 25 minute tender ride about 8:45. That made it 1:45 pm back at home on Christmas Day. I had researched before leaving home and found where the library was with free Wi-Fi and brought my Kindle with me so we could Skype the kids back home. It was a short walk to the library and took no time to get the Wi-Fi set up. We Skyped with the kids that were available (2) and phoned the ones that weren’t (2). I was happy to be able to see and talk to them all. Great view while we Skyped. Crazy to be able to see them from SO far away.

We spent the rest of the morning stopping in for a great hot chocolate and coffee and walked along the waterfront. Such beautiful flowers everywhere and quaint shops. Neat little parks with sculptures and war memorials.

IMG_0853.JPG

20131226_105329.jpg

By noon time it was time to meet up with our driver for our Kayaking Tour with Pohatu Tours. Everything went smoothly and we were all assigned a van and on our way in no time. We drove up about 700 meters and over the other side of the ridge down to Flea Bay for kayaking. It was still a little hazy but clearing up quickly thankfully.

IMG_0887.JPG

The first views of where we where headed to kayak were amazing. It took my breath away.

IMG_0912.JPG

Great report we are doing nearly this trip in November on Celebrity Solstice can't wait to get going.

Looking forward to rest of your trip.

John

I hope you have an amazing time. We passed the Solstice going the opposite direction out of Fiordland Nat'l Park. It's a wonderful itinerary. So many options of things to do. Plus nice sea days to relax as well. Thanks for reading.

We were on the Solstice back in 2009 in the Eastern Mediterranean out of Rome.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=Thanksgiving Cruise&date=11-23-2014&text=&ship=Carnival Pride

PAST CRUISES:

Discovery Sun 2003 Freeport Bahamas Day Cruise

Celebrity Solstice 6/26/09 Eastern Mediterranean

Carnival Conquest 08/10/10 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Victory 06/10/12 Southern Caribbean http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1659913

Carnival Miracle 07/30/13 Alaska http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39476968#post39476968

Diamond Princess 12/23/13 New Zealand/Australia (in Progress)

20983-profile.png

I have been kayaking before but only in rivers or lakes. This trip was very different. The guide asked us if we had experience and we said yes. Apparently he took that to mean we had been on the Olympic team. Our kayak was more narrow than others it felt like. I had never been in a kayak with a rudder. Julio was in charge of that. We got all suited up and assigned our kayaks and were ready to go.

P7300038.JPG

Getting out over the breaks was a bit challenging but not impossible. There was a lot of laughing involved. We all go out where we needed to be and got underway. There were lots of swells and the water was just beautiful. We saw a few seals and a few penguins. There were caves but the water was too rough to venture in unfortunately. Our guide said even he wouldn’t go in on that kind of day. Sort of disappointing but it didn't last long. Just more looking around at the scenery made it worth it.

20131226_141620.jpg

P7300046.JPG

After a couple hours kayaking, we helped put the equipment away and checked out some baby penguins that had been left abandoned. They do such great work at this center caring for several small penguins. The view in the valley was fantastic. Snacks and beverages were served and it was too soon before we had to leave.

20131226_154650.jpg

IMG_0929.JPG

The ride back to town was full of conversation about the kayaking and more ooohs and aaahhhs about the view. I would definitely recommend this Pohatu Tours. The price was reasonable and the tour guide was great. We saw several cows and sheep along the way. The clouds had burned off and the view was nothing short of spectacular. It looked like an oil painting.

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

We found a great little rock/gem shop and bought a few souvenirs before calling it a day. Taking the tender back , we were both a bit wet and cold , so we sat on the inside this time instead of up top.

I hope you have an amazing time. We passed the Solstice going the opposite direction out of Fiordland Nat'l Park. It's a wonderful itinerary. So many options of things to do. Plus nice sea days to relax as well. Thanks for reading.

We were on the Solstice back in 2009 in the Eastern Mediterranean out of Rome.

countdown.pl?image=Beach-9&name=Thanksgiving Cruise&date=11-23-2014&text=&ship=Carnival Pride

PAST CRUISES:

Carnival Victory 06/10/12 Southern Caribbean http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1659913

Carnival Miracle 07/30/13 Alaska http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39476968#post39476968

20983-profile.png

We were on the Eclipse this June did Baltic recommend great trip we are booked on Equinox Sept 15 sailing out of Istanbul.

While we were on our outing, Mom was with the Princess excursion for the Tranz Alpine Tour. She only took her video camera but another passenger emailed her a few photos. Mom said the train ride was enjoyable, but not really what she was expecting. The views were beautiful but with the altitude I think she was looking forward to more snow capped peaks. She was hoping for more time to get out and maybe see something at the stop. Also, she was hoping for a gift shop or something, The excursion came with a boxed lunch that had plenty to eat. She is glad she went but feels that it really wasn’t worth the money spent on it.

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image.jpeg

Shipboard in the evening after Akaroa took Mom and I to the Australian/New Zealand market place. We each got a t-shirt and a few souvenirs. I’m sure they are things we could have found elsewhere, but it was fun to do a bit of shopping on board. From there we headed to the Explorers Lounge to have some more Trivia Fun. Tonight we just went to the buffet for dinner.

IMG_1357.JPG

Our next port is Dunedin (Port Chalmers). We woke to another cloudy day and a bit chilly. I wandered around the ship as we cruised thru the channel. It was pretty cool to see the line where they had dredged out the channel to make it deep enough.

IMG_0999.JPG

We also woke to Julio and a full blown cold. He was down for the count. We had a busy busy day planned but he wasn’t feeling well enough to participate.

Mom and I headed to the buffet for breakfast and sat and watched the crews working on the docks moving different containers around.

20131227_074503.jpg

After breakfast, we checked on Julio and then headed off the ship to catch the city bus. The bus stop was an easy enough walk thru the port area. It was great because we were a few minutes early for the bus and my research showed there was a coffee shop right in front. I was happy to see that it was still there and Mom got a cup of coffee while we waited. The bus into Dunedin was about $6 NZ each way and took about 35 minutes. Once in Dunedin we took the local bus up to the Baldwin Street - The World’s Steepest Street. It was very neat to see. We didn’t climb up though.

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

After checking out Baldwin Street, we hopped back on the bus and made it in time for our tour at the Cadbury Factory. It’s the Christmas Holiday so not all everything was working or in production. We knew this before we came here and that was still fine with us. The samples alone were fantastic. We had eaten Cadbury Chocolate from Dunedin on the plane so it was fun to see where it was made.

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

We bought a few goodies in the gift shop. Edible and Non-Edible. From here Mom and I went our separate ways. She went over to take a tour of Olveston Historic house and I headed to Speight’s Brewery (please say there will be samples).

No photos allowed at Olveston house, but Mom only had a video camera anyway. The tour was about an hour long and she found it to be one of the better home tours she’s been on. The gardens were beautiful and the inside of the house was lovingly taken care of. There are photos of inside the home online. She said it was worth it.

olvestonhouse.jpg

I took a walk over to Speight’s Brewery. It was about a 10 -15 minute walk. Hilly, but not bad.

Had a few minutes to wait once I got there and then the tour started. I was sorry that Julio had missed it, but was happy to see another couple from our ship and CC Roll Call. It was nice to see a familiar face in a foreign country. The history was fascinating and our tour guide was truly passionate about informing people.

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

After we completed the tour, there was plenty of time for samples. After a quick lesson we all even got to pull our own beer. Yes, Julio was sorry he missed this.

IMG_1060.JPG

It seems to me that after the beer, all Dunedin streets must go uphill. Not really. I was planning on meeting Mom after our tours, at the Dunedin Chinese Gardens. It was another easy walk there. Saw this on the way there and thought of Julio back on the ship.

IMG_1128.JPG

Hi, I am loving your review, very well done, thank you

Cheers Deb:)

Thanks so much. It's been a while and I am enjoy writing everything and looking through photos.

Looks like you have some awesome cruise days coming up.

Connie

PAST CRUISES:

20983-profile.png

If you get a chance to visit the Dunedin Chinese Gardens, do so. They are beautiful gem in the middle of the city. So tranquil and peaceful. A perfect spot to rest midday. Mom and I ate a snack lunch there among the beauty. So glad we didn’t miss these gardens.

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

We hated to say goodbye to this beautiful garden, but we had to. We took a walk down Cumberland Street to visit the historic Dunedin Railway Station. What an architectural treasure. I was just in awe of the beauty of this building.

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG