Iguazu Falls Tour Offered by Celebrity

cormike1

Hi everyone,

Has anyone taken the tour offered by Celebrity to Iguazu. It is the 10 hour tour they have to charter so therefore they need to have enough people signed up before it is guaranteed. It might be the only way I could get to see the falls and would love to know the timing involved with this tour, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

We have not taken this tour, but others on our recent Azamara cruise (same tour as Celebrity) found it easier and cheaper to book private...keep in mind you have to have a Brazilian Visa if you travel to the Brazil side of the falls...also people mentioned that the only hotel in the park is the Sheraton...not sure if this helps you, but I think the only reason to book Celebrity is convenience if you do not want to make your own plans...there are lots of tour companies online that will pick you up at the dock and includes flights, hotel etc...you can compare prices...

It is so easy to book on ones own. We booked flights online on LAN and stayed at the Sheraton on the Falls in a falls view room.. They sent a taxi to pick us up at airport. The year we went the transfer was $20.00 USD paid directly to the driver. You just walk out the back of the hotel and down to the falls. We did make arrangements to go to the Brazil side and took a helicopter over the falls and river rafting but that is not necessary.

As the OP is looking at the day excursion, I would not recommend DIY - way too risky as there is such a risk of flights being cancelled and that you miss the ships departure

Hi everyone,

Has anyone taken the tour offered by Celebrity to Iguazu. It is the 10 hour tour they have to charter so therefore they need to have enough people signed up before it is guaranteed. It might be the only way I could get to see the falls and would love to know the timing involved with this tour, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

My wife and I did this trip last year and, while it was great to cross Iguazu off the bucket list, this is not the way to do it. Most of the day is spent sitting in a plane and the time at the falls is all a little rushed. With hindsight we should have booked the tour privately in BA and spent at least one night there. By the way IMHO, from a bucket list point of view, Iguazu is not in the same league as the Victoria Falls in Zambia/Zimbabwe.

Hi everyone,

Mike,

We are on the March 2, 2014 Celebrity Infinity cruise out of Buenos Aires. We will take Celebrity's cruisetour ( which is not everyone's choice) but, there is a private tour mentioned on the board that may interest you. If I am correct, it is for 2 days and includes your flight for about $ 600 pp pre cruise.

It is so easy to book on ones own. We booked flights online on LAN and stayed at the Sheraton on the Falls in a falls view room.. They sent a taxi to pick us up at airport. The year we went the transfer was $20.00 USD paid directly to the driver. You just walk out the back of the hotel and down to the falls. We did make arrangements to go to the Brazil side and took a helicopter over the falls and river rafting but that is not necessary.

A question for those who have been to the Falls- Did you get your Yellow Fever Shots and take Malatria pills? CDC recommends both but just recommends not requires. If you did did you have side effects?

A question for those who have been to the Falls- Did you get your Yellow Fever Shots and take Malatria pills? CDC recommends both but just recommends not requires. If you did did you have side effects?

No shots, no side effects.

By the way IMHO, from a bucket list point of view, Iguazu is not in the same league as the Victoria Falls in Zambia/Zimbabwe.

Having seen both, I completely disagree. They are the two largest cascades in the world, and each is unique. They are both on my top ten natural wonders list, but I'd have great trouble placing these two in an order.

Actually, after I wrote the above, I checked my old spreadsheet of natural wonders, and here is the order I had:

Mt. Everest

Grand Canyon

Galapagos Islands

Iguacu Falls

Victoria Falls

Yellowstone

Great Barrier Reef

Sahara Desert

Ngorongoro Crater

Amazon Rain Forest

No shots, no pills, no regrets. Bug bites did not seem to be a problem. The park closed at 5PM which was before dusk. I highly recommend staying at the Sheraton instead of the town.

I did not go to the Brazilian side since that would require another visa and possibly difficulties in the future when visiting other countries. Some countries want a yellow fever shot documentation if you've been to Brazil, and I refused to get the shot. Yellow fever and malaria are not in the Iguazu area, but the passport stamp and visa just say Brazil.

Having seen both, I completely disagree. They are the two largest cascades in the world, and each is unique. They are both on my top ten natural wonders list, but I'd have great trouble placing these two in an order.

Actually, after I wrote the above, I checked my old spreadsheet of natural wonders, and here is the order I had:

Mt. Everest

Grand Canyon

Galapagos Islands

Iguacu Falls

Victoria Falls

Yellowstone

Great Barrier Reef

Sahara Desert

Ngorongoro Crater

Amazon Rain Forest

Have you considered Venezuela's Angel Falls, the world's highest uninterrupted falls?

We did the Celebrity excursion to Iguazu in February, last year.

Regarding the timing, we left the ship very early (maybe 4:30...ship provided coffee and pastries), flew for about 3 1/2 hours, spent about 6 or 7 hours at the Falls, flew another 3 1/2 hours back, and got back to the ship in the evening (I think about 8)

It was expensive (about $1,000 pp), cramped on small aircraft, crowded and a bit rushed at the falls, but Iguazu was absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!!! Friends did an overnight which would have been preferable, but this tour was all we could fit into our schedule. If you're in the same situation, don't let a few bucks and a cramped airplane flight keep you from seeing what is truly one of the great natural wonders of the world.

No shots, no pills, no regrets. Bug bites did not seem to be a problem. The park closed at 5PM which was before dusk. I highly recommend staying at the Sheraton instead of the town.

I did not go to the Brazilian side since that would require another visa and possibly difficulties in the future when visiting other countries. Some countries want a yellow fever shot documentation if you've been to Brazil, and I refused to get the shot. Yellow fever and malaria are not in the Iguazu area, but the passport stamp and visa just say Brazil.

Since we're slightly off topic from the OP's original question, I will respond to the comments above for those contemplating a visit to Iguazu Falls either before or after their cruise.

We've never had a problem with the Brazilian visa in our passports. We have carried our yellow fever certificates with us, but we never have been asked for them. The full frontal view of the falls from the Brazilian side was unbelievably gorgeous - well worth the cost of the Brazilian visas.

We stayed in the town of Puerto Iguazu for 3 nights, rather than at the Sheraton - the savings made up for the cost of our Brazilian visas. Puerto Iguazu is closer to the Brazilian border, which was convenient for the day that we spent seeing the Brazilian side of the falls. We also enjoyed the experience of staying at a B&B in town and eating dinners at restaurants in town.

A Tour is not necessary for the Falls. Our B&B arranged for a driver for us for airport transfers and to both the Argentinian and Brazilian sides of the falls. (Most accommodations in Puerto Iguazu do likewise.) We did "stop" at the Sheraton on the two days that we visited the Argentinian side of the falls - one day for a drink and the air-conditioning to cool off - the other day for lunch.

If you only have one night at Iguazu Falls, stay at the Sheraton. But, if you stay for longer, consider staying at a B&B in town.

Also, if you are adding the Falls at either the beginning or end of your cruise, consider flying into or out of the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls. (Only if you have the Brazilian visa.) Instead of connecting with an international flight in Buenos Aires, and traveling between the domestic and international airports (an hour apart), you can easily connect through Sao Paulo or Rio.

Have you considered Venezuela's Angel Falls, the world's highest uninterrupted falls?

On my list of the next 10, although I must admit that tall ribbon-like falls have never been my thing:

Dead Sea

Sognefjord

Angel Fals

Bora Bora

Mauna Kea/Kiluea

Ayers Rock

Niagara Falls

Lake Baikal

Rio de Janeiro Bay

Mt. Kilimanjaro

When we went to the falls we overnighted at the Sheraton. If you are flying from Buenos Aires I will warn you that the flight seems to go whenever the pilot shows up. 2 hour delay going, 3 hour delay coming back. (and don't count on the air conditioning working in the little airport for the falls)

If you only have one day it would be too risky to try and do it on your own. You should take the excursion.

This is a trip that you really have to want to take. The Brazil side is the best, so don't miss it if you have the time.

It's a little trouble getting a visa but if you are commited to seeing this natural wonder you will not regret it.

We visited Iguacu on a land tour, that had us staying at the falls overnight, wit a greatt dinner outdoors at the hotel.

The area was VERY hot and humid (Here at home, humidity was 97% early, not ununsual to have dripping off the car in the AM), and the falls are so huge (and magnificent!) you can not see all of them at one time by ground.

I prefer, Yosemite and Niagra.

Thanks so much for all your input. I am definitely trying to make this happen and all your ideas are great. It has helped me a lot and I am going to make this happen. After all, you only go around once!!! Thanks again.

Archived