Hairdryer and Straightners

Edinburghgirl1

I have booked to go on a cruise to the UAE with Costa on the Serena in January with a friend. I happened to notice on the FAQ on their website that you cannot take your own hairdryer or hair straighteners!! Surely this cannot be right. I could possibly make do with the hairdryer provided in the cabin but neither of us can make do without our straighteners. I have never heard of this on any other cruise line. I sailed with Celebrity in February and am sailing with Norwegian in October and this doesn't seem to be an issue for them. Does anyone know if this is strictly enforced or is it possibly out of date information on their website??

Hi I have sailed with costa several times the last time being the end of July and I have always taken my hair dryer and straighteners. Never had a problem taking them on board. We are sailing again in September and I will definitely be taking them again.

Hi Edinburghgirl,

The web-site is correct Costa state that you are not allowed to use any Electrical items other than those supplied in the cabin. They have in the past confiscated items left on show or charge in the cabin.

That said it is the final five words that count, do not leave anything on charge on plugged in when leaving and you will be okay.

It really came down to a few idiots having irons and kettles and left out on show or worse plugged in, which was a fire risk.

Take your own put them away when you have finished and you will be okay.

Remember to take a adaptor for the two pin flat plug points.

Edited by tenpin

I was on the Serena in June. I had no problem with a 2000 watt hairyer plus straightners. I used the euro 2 round pin not USA flat pin. I took one 4 socket strip used it for everything and just had one plug to pull out when I left the cabin.

I am hairdryer obsessed . I own a USA one for certain cruises due to the voltage. Cheaper than voltage convertors which blow hairdryers anyway.

You all be fine - enjoy the Serena - great staff happy ship!

Hey Blondie,

I know this old brain of mine does not compute as well as it should, but been on the Serena three times could have sworn the plug points were flat and angled.

Will confirm in four weeks after our next cruise with them.

Although we have a multi adaptor which fits all types I would hate to mis-imform future guests.

Thanks to all who responded to put my mind at rest. Couldn't imagine having to suffer frizzy hair for the whole cruise.

Blondie808 how you find the Serena? It seem to get very mixed reviews with most complaints being about the food and the other guests!!

I have booked to go on a cruise to the UAE with Costa on the Serena in January with a friend. I happened to notice on the FAQ on their website that you cannot take your own hairdryer or hair straighteners!! Surely this cannot be right. I could possibly make do with the hairdryer provided in the cabin but neither of us can make do without our straighteners. I have never heard of this on any other cruise line. I sailed with Celebrity in February and am sailing with Norwegian in October and this doesn't seem to be an issue for them. Does anyone know if this is strictly enforced or is it possibly out of date information on their website??

we were on Costa Favolosa in June and I had my hair straightners and they were on show and nothing said, i think people get mixed up with straighteners and irons as irons are a definate no no, enjoy your cruise xx

I refer to paragraph 10.7. of Costa's T&C's and regardless of what some passengers have done they will sometimes confiscate forbidden electrical item, in one case two passengers were ordered off the ship after two warnings on one cruise we were on.

It is also forbidden to BRING on board and/or use in the cabin ANY electrical items, including but NOT limited to;

Irons heaters kettles hair dryers .

Now that said I very much doubt that the cabin steward would say anything if they are put away after use, the problem comes further up from the visits of Supervisors after cabins are cleaned.

It really is for our own safety so all I am saying is please switch off and put away, I hate to see a fire at sea. Like all rules that are broken it is the stupidity of a few that spoil it for the rest of us who are careful.

On a different note one person could purchase the drinks package once but now the whole party has to buy it, because of the few who thought it okay to buy drinks for their friends who had not purchased it.

Thanks to all who responded to put my mind at rest. Couldn't imagine having to suffer frizzy hair for the whole cruise.

Blondie808 how you find the Serena? It seem to get very mixed reviews with most complaints being about the food and the other guests!!

We had a week on Serena last January. It was still the school hols. so there were many children and young families around but the big ship simply allowed them and us the space we needed. But it is not a a quiet, refined experience! We think of COSTA boats as an Italian holiday village floating around the Med with international guests mixed in. The idea is: "The party continues!" There's lots of activity but it can be avoided.

The food is good with a wide range of courses on the menu; the buffet is varied during the day but it seems to turn into a pizza buffet in the evening ( we didn't use it ) . The is the usual pay extra restaurant with a quieter ambience. The food goes along with entertainment as Italian night and Gala night involve singing and dancing in the restaurant and it is great fun and Very!! Italian. We love it but some are put off by the casual style.

Some larger Italian families can be noisy and pushy but they are on hol. too and the boat is, after all, a slice of Italy. And yes! English is not always the first language spoken in the announcements and we have to await our turn!!

• 2 weeks later...

For a big ship it has a happy staff. We avoided the buffet and instead for lunch every day dined in the mdr. So much more civilised. (That aside I am gluten free and one has to dine in the mdr if GF).

Lots of quiet corners to be found. If you are in search of a quiet bar on deck,. head up by the grand prix simulator, there is a bar up there, loungers and lots of quiet corners.

We liked the Serena - we went on a budget premium balcony - for sure for what we paid it was value for money. It was MUCH nicer than the Magica.

There is a spell in the evening when everyone is "on the move" - that I think is the only time it feels crowded. But it disperses out - just traffic jams ;)

Food - the Club restaurant is really very good on the Serena - it has open windows out to sea, and a live pianist - very nice indeed. We dined there 2/7 and was well worth the ££s.

I perhaps appreciate Costa's food more than most being I am GF. I find Costa exceptional for this - and for me, being given so much choice (including bread, pasta and desserts) is wonderful.

We had a table for two - no problem - all of our requests for dining were fulfilled.

I would go back on the Serena, dont think I would go back on the Magica. Both big ships - but a world apart.

You cannot however compare it to Celebrity - the price is chalk and cheese, so is the cruise experience.

Bon Voyage!

Edited by Blondie008

Hey Blondie,

I know this old brain of mine does not compute as well as it should, but been on the Serena three times could have sworn the plug points were flat and angled.

Will confirm in four weeks after our next cruise with them.

Although we have a multi adaptor which fits all types I would hate to mis-imform future guests.

I am 100% sure the Serena was round pin. Unless there was also flat pin which I didnt notice - but I know for sure, used a Euro adaptor.

I have various hairdryers in different voltage. When I cruise on a "flat pin" ship - I take my USA hairdryer. Costa - I took a UK four x socket strip adapter, and a two round pin euro adaptor to plug the strip into.

I like my Ipod docking station on when getting ready - and charge up ecigs when in the cabin - I DO NOT leave anything plugged in when I leave the cabin. I have been the victim of a house fire - and am paranoid when it comes to fire hazards -

Unless as I say, there were both - quite possible.:)

• 3 weeks later...
Hi I have sailed with costa several times the last time being the end of July and I have always taken my hair dryer and straighteners. Never had a problem taking them on board. We are sailing again in September and I will definitely be taking them again.

good to know.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just back from a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway and despite taking and American hairdryer it blew the power in the room and I had to resort to using the one in the cabin. Can anyone who has been on the Serena confirm if the hairdryer supplied in the cabin is a decent one i.e. not one of those ones you find in some hotel bathrooms which just blows your hair everywhere!!

I'm just back from a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway and despite taking and American hairdryer it blew the power in the room and I had to resort to using the one in the cabin. Can anyone who has been on the Serena confirm if the hairdryer supplied in the cabin is a decent one i.e. not one of those ones you find in some hotel bathrooms which just blows your hair everywhere!!

Ive been on the Serena and used my UK dryer - 2000 watts no problems

I am going on NCL Epic soon though - and like you am taking a US dryer again 2000 watts - hope mine doesnt blow :eek: -

I have a babyliss dual voltage which I take everywhere - it has 1800 watts power and does 110 and 230/240 - so I always take two dryers

The serena - cant remember dryer in cabin but for sure I used my own UK one with no prob what so ever -

I am 100% sure on that - like you - dryer obsessed! :-)

• 3 months later...

For anyone who saw on Cost website that your own hair dryer and straighteners were not allowed on board I took both and had no problem nor did I hear anyone else say they had any problem.

Only issue I had is there is only one socket which incidentally takes a round pin European type adaptor. An extra socket somewhere in the room would have been handy when two people need to charge their phone etc.

For anyone who saw on Cost website that your own hair dryer and straighteners were not allowed on board I took both and had no problem nor did I hear anyone else say they had any problem.

Only issue I had is there is only one socket which incidentally takes a round pin European type adaptor. An extra socket somewhere in the room would have been handy when two people need to charge their phone etc.

Smuggling alcohol is a people's sport, but smuggling high wattage electrical appliances puts the ship, passengers and crew safety at risk.

Costa as well as all other cruise lines forbid the bringing onboard of such items as irons, hair dryers etc. not for any monetary gain but the paramount reason being the security and safety of the ship and all who sail in her.

The ships electrical circuitry is laid out for approximately 1500 Watt per cabin and not like a normal family house or flat, Just think using a power strip on the one socket and attaching a hair dryer, hair straightener, charging phones etc. could overload the cables and start a fire within them and be out of control before it is noticed.

These rules are there for a very important reason - SAFETY.

Boasting and encouraging others to smuggle is not a good way to end a cruise.

Smuggling alcohol is a people's sport, but smuggling high wattage electrical appliances puts the ship, passengers and crew safety at risk.

Costa as well as all other cruise lines forbid the bringing onboard of such items as irons, hair dryers etc. not for any monetary gain but the paramount reason being the security and safety of the ship and all who sail in her.

The ships electrical circuitry is laid out for approximately 1500 Watt per cabin and not like a normal family house or flat, Just think using a power strip on the one socket and attaching a hair dryer, hair straightener, charging phones etc. could overload the cables and start a fire within them and be out of control before it is noticed.

These rules are there for a very important reason - SAFETY.

Boasting and encouraging others to smuggle is not a good way to end a cruise.

Not wanting to put a damper on this The Spanish blog site has reported that luggage has been impounded to remove hair dryers and straightners on the newly launched DIADEMA

I never mentioned using a strip socket in my post. We never used more than one appliance at a time due to only having one electrical socket. I also did not smuggle the items they were packed in my luggage which would have been scanned when I checked it in. If they had wanted to remove my hair dryer etc I'm sure they would have done so. The company I booked the cruise with also confirmed they had sailed on Costa and there was no problem with hair straigtners and for the record I was not boasting but merely informing other women who take a pride in their appearance of my experience. As you will see from the posts this would be a problem for some who cannot maybe afford to attend the hairdresser on board every day to avoid frizzy hair!

What a carry on! Some folks just get too daft!

I m with you Edinburgh Girl - sounds like I have the same kind of hair.

Wouldn't think of going on a cruise or any other holiday without my straighteners. I am always very careful how I use them.

On MSC Armonia last month I didn't take a hairdryer and really struggled with the useless one they provided. It took 20 minutes to dry my hair before I straightened it!!

On a 14 night cruise , how much time did I waste!!

I will be packing my appliances in my checked in luggage on my Costa Pacifica 19 night cruise for sure

I have never been to the ships hairdresser - would love to but I fear it would mean 1 less cruise per year for me with their prices!

Caryl

Edited by CASPALL