Help me find a south beach hotel.

crazycruzer68

More than probably any area in the entire country, you need a date for this type of request. A Midweek stay in the offseason can fluctuate several hundred dollars over a weekend in prime season for one night.

Edited by kdawg954

Not sure what your budget is, but anything under $250 would be a pretty good deal for a decent hotel.

If you are planning to take flight out of MIA the following day . . . I'd look into the Riveria hotel. They offer a complimentary airport shuttle so that will help save $30 and it's in a pretty good spot (not oceanfront) only 2 blocks from the beach. You can Priceline Express this hotel for $192.

The prime South Beach area used to be considered south of Lincoln Road but with clubs like Liv popping up north of this area it is pretty spread out . . . although you still are about a mile and change north of the most desired hot spots. Walking or Bus service will get you down there easy though and if doing a late night a quick cab ride is nothing to get back to the hotel.

The Tides is in a good location and is under $300/night.

This is a very nice hotel and a real good deal for such a quality hotel. Would cost over $300 after taxes/fees but still a good value on a Saturday night in October.

Awesome location . . . everything walkable and you are across Ocean drive from the beach. Great views. I would actually splurge the extra for this hotel if only going for one night. I was inside of here one time and I was overly impressed.

Edited by kdawg954

Look at Hotel La FLora. DH and I spent 5 days there in Feb. It is small, booking full on many dates. Read the reviews on tripadvisor.com. If you want a resort with restaurants and pools, this is not for you. This hotel is small, refurbished art deco type with small bar and light breakfast, happy hour drink included. They provide beach towels if you want. Too, it is clean!! and staff is friendly. We had a two room suite. Not sure if all rooms are like this. But it was great. The location is perfect for walking anywhere you would need or want. It's on 12th and Collins. One block from Ocean Dr and the beach. Maybe 4 blocks from Lincoln Road. The tourist center is nearby for booking tours or for pciking up maps. We'd stay there again in a heartbeat. It's a great homebase if you aren't looking for the resort life.

There is another hotel right next door that also gets good reviews. I forget that name. But I'd start on tripadvisor to get your bearings for the area.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34439-d120424-Reviews-La_Flora-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

Edited by eandj

The Tides is in a good location and is under $300/night.

This is a very nice hotel and a real good deal for such a quality hotel. Would cost over $300 after taxes/fees but still a good value on a Saturday night in October.

Awesome location . . . everything walkable and you are across Ocean drive from the beach. Great views. I would actually splurge the extra for this hotel if only going for one night. I was inside of here one time and I was overly impressed.

The Tides is indeed in a great location and deals can be found. But know that you will be getting the full "South Beach" experience there. You definitely need to be open-minded and tolerant of your fellow hotel guests and their very adult proclivities--definitely not for the prudish, or any children!

The Tides is indeed in a great location and deals can be found. But know that you will be getting the full "South Beach" experience there. You definitely need to be open-minded and tolerant of your fellow hotel guests and their very adult proclivities--definitely not for the prudish, or any children!

This is a very fair point. Less than half a mile is a trio of Fat Tuesday's, Clevelander and Wet Willies. Two of them offer strong alcoholic slushy drinks for cheap prices and the other is an outside party scene.

Good times . . . good times, but it definitely can be an area not suitable for all people.

Let me see if I am right on this, Collins drive hotels are not oceanfront?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, Collins Avenue hotels ARE ocean front. Most of Ocean Drive hotels are across the street from the beach.

My good friend is a model with the Green Agency on Lincoln Road and we head down to South Beach a lot. I will say Ocean Drive has gotten really ghetto of late. Collins Avenue has the really nice hotels.

Kdawg, LIV is in Mid Beach. South Beach isn't spread out the entertainment and hot spots are heading north. Does that make sense?

Yes, Collins Avenue hotels ARE ocean front. Most of Ocean Drive hotels are across the street from the beach.

My good friend is a model with the Green Agency on Lincoln Road and we head down to South Beach a lot. I will say Ocean Drive has gotten really ghetto of late. Collins Avenue has the really nice hotels.

Kdawg, LIV is in Mid Beach. South Beach isn't spread out the entertainment and hot spots are heading north. Does that make sense?

It definitely makes sense, but people not from the area consider spots like the FountainBleu (Liv) to be "South Beach" (which it's not) so the "hot spot" area is definitely starting to move north as you suggested.

When I used to go to South Beach all the time, once you got to 17th Street and the Lincoln Road Mall area . . . that in a sense would be the start of the South Beach area. You can make a left on 15th street from Collins and get on Ocean Drive and drive down with Lummus Park on the left hand side and a bunch of hotels/clubs/cafes on the right and take that all the way to the end. The heart of the area being below 10th street on Ocean/Collins/Washington.

Funny thing is, like you said, the hotels on Ocean Drive require crossing that street to get to the beach . . . where north of South Beach, on Collins, they have nicer hotels that are directly on the beach.

It's a wonder why that area north of the main South Beach area hasn't become more popular sooner.

Let me see if I am right on this, Collins drive hotels are not oceanfront?

Collins Ave hotels are oceanfront north of 15th street. South of 15th street you have to walk a block to Ocean Drive and cross Ocean Drive to get to the beach. Ocean Drive hotels (15th street and south) are across the street from the beach.

where north of South Beach, on Collins, they have nicer hotels that are directly on the beach.

It's a wonder why that area north of the main South Beach area hasn't become more popular sooner.

I think it is because the 'historic district', the area south of 12th was rehabbed first and the first luxury hotel that opened on Collins was the Delano back in 1997 I think?

I think it is because the 'historic district', the area south of 12th was rehabbed first and the first luxury hotel that opened on Collins was the Delano back in 1997 I think?

Makes sense . . .I mean you think of "South Beach" you would ideally think of waking up from your hotel and walking in the sand to the ocean water . . . not crossing a street to get there.

Personally the closest I've ever stayed in the area is the Dorchester on Collins/18th . . . although I've had friends/met people and been inside rooms to sleep or chill all over the area. Just too much money for me to spend when for the most part I just needed a room to lay my head after a long night.

Sounds like Collins 1700 and up, thanks for all your help!

I wouldn't go north of 17th because then you have to start taking cabs to get anywhere.

South Beach ends around 21st and Mid Beach starts. Apart from the Eden Roc, The Fountainbleu, and The Forge, I'm not a fan at all of Mid Beach.

HILARIOUS! Whenever we stay on Ocean Drive, we have the most ummm amorous neighbors. We had to go take a walk one time, they had to have had 10 people in the room next to us. (I'm laughing so hard as I type this)....anyhooo, that was sooo off-topic

topic: I love the Tides!! (that wasn't where we stayed, so don't mark that against them)

Any thoughts on the Courtyard by Marriott Cadillac?

My gf wanted a beach day the day before we leave on the May 31 sailing of the Breakaway and, for some reason, saw this hotel and liked it; so I booked it.

The hotel is in Mid Beach. You'll have to cab it to anywhere on South Beach.

There is a Courtyard in South Beach. I'd choose that all day over Mid Beach. Again, I'm not a fan of the area.

The hotel is in Mid Beach. You'll have to cab it to anywhere on South Beach.

There is a Courtyard in South Beach. I'd choose that all day over Mid Beach. Again, I'm not a fan of the area.

Mid-Beach used to be very popular, back in the 1950s.

We love mid-beach. The pools are better, the hotels have beach and its not insanity. Take a cab to SoBe, and take a cab back to your sancutary.

We stay at the Eden Roc at least twice a year -we will be there a few night prior to the our GA, first time back since the Marriott sold it. We shall see....

Thanks all. I was really looking for feedback on the Cadillac hotel itself.

The choice to stay mid beach was a conscious one as my gf wanted a hotel right on the beach so we could just walk out of the hotel (and for all of the reasons which Cruiser stated).

We are there for one day and live in NYC so the beach is the driving factor not the nightlife. (And travel by cab is second only to travel by subway).

Thank you.

Thanks all. I was really looking for feedback on the Cadillac hotel itself.

The choice to stay mid beach was a conscious one as my gf wanted a hotel right on the beach so we could just walk out of the hotel (and for all of the reasons which Cruiser stated).

We are there for one day and live in NYC so the beach is the driving factor not the nightlife. (And travel by cab is second only to travel by subway).

Thank you.

We stayed at the Cadillac maybe 6 years ago, prior to their rehab. The common areas were fine back then, the pool was decent and its right on the beach. My daughter burned her hand on the waffle iron, so be careful. LOL (Its how we refere to that hotel "the place where you burned your hand on the waffle iron...")

I loved being in the "Cadillac" part of the buidling (the original part), again, because I like the "feel" of it LOL.

What's the worse that can happen in one night??? You're going on a cruise the next day. Its a perfect choice. :D

EDIT: I just looked at the Caddy's website....they cleaned her up nice! Have fun and happy sails

Edited by Cruiser Who Knows Nothing