Alaska Menus

marvholly

I cruised to Alaska on Celebrity Mercury 6/2003. I found the dinner menus to be the same as found on these boards for Carribean itineraries. I am thinking Alaska again. Does any cruise line lean to a more "local" (fresh halibut, salmon and so on) provision menu?

On a Carnival cruise to Alaska, there was one speciality salmon dish at each dinner, generally told to us by the waiter. Otherwise, the menu looked very similar to other meals we've gotten on Carnival.

Just got back from Alaska on Carnival and here were their fish specials of the day:

Seared steel head on green pea marscarpone risotto, spaghetti squash & red pepper vinaigrette.

Ginger scallion crusted Alaskan halibut with sweet corn & mushrooms, miso beurre blanc.

Fresh king salmon en papillote with steamer clams, spinach & potatoes & tomatoes.

Teriyaki king salmon served over lomein noodles with tempura okra and asian cole slaw.

Broiled fish cod fillet with steamed vegetables, cilantro broth & lime slices.

Pan seard fillet of fresh lemon sole over rosemary potatoes, tarragon scented tomato caper salad.

Prosciutto wrapped ling cod with truffled asparagus cream butternut squash mash, petit herb salad.

Too bad I don't like fish!

• 2 weeks later...

Holland America had a special Alaskan menu. I think my husband had salmon for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They even had an Alaskan dessert one night, can't remember exact name, but the waiters all wore bear hats so it was something bear related.

Sue

Thanks all.

Sorry I have not been back but my dad (87) decided to move to a seniors independent building and we had <4 weeks to go thru all his stuff, pack and move him. My contractor also gutted/redid my masterbath during this time.

I had guessed my major problem was Celebrity. I really thought their food was over-rated and their general attitude too pretentious for my tastes. I am unlikely to to do Alaska this year as oldest DD is giving me my first grandchild the end of July and youngest DD is getting married 9/4/05 but am looking to take my adult kids and their spouses next Aug.

Archived