Brittania back of ship

brammers

Hi, has anybody had a cabin on the BACK END of the ship? We go in August and have read some not very good reviews, regarding size of balcony also complaints of constant rocking, and dirt and soot on the balcony from fumes going over the back of the ship. I'm hoping it's just reviews from the negative type of people who just like to moan about everything... Thanks in advance..

We are on the stern on Saturday. :)

We love the stern cabins and as for the soot problem, it is normally only a trivial few specks. We've had this on aft cabins on both the starboard and port side of the ship as well so not just restricted to the stern cabins. The cabin stewards wipe the balconies every day any how.

All the balconies apart from the suite on the Britannia are narrow compaired to other P&O ships.

The beds in the aft cabins lie across the ship from port to starboard or starboard to port depending on the cabin. This could be what people mean by the rocking. I sleep like a log this way especially if the sea gets a little rough.

The ship is in water it will rock. :D

Take the chance and book you cannot beat leaving a beautiful port, sitting on the balcony watching it disappear into the distance. ( especially in the fjords)

We have an aft suite on F deck, in 3 weeks, so I'll let you know.

Hi Gill,

Be interested to know your views on the F deck suites, we've got an aft suite on C deck sailing on 23rd May & have got on on D deck in Sept 2016; are we on the same cruise?

Joan

We were in stateroom C732 on the maiden cruise and yes we suffered with soot. Every morning the balcony was cleaned by the cabin steward but if you ever went outside and sat on the chairs you had to wipe them over first just to make sure and occasionally it was covered in enough to mark your clothes if you dont wipe it. We never had any problems with fumes over the aft of the ship or rocking but if you dock in port early in the morning before you are awake when the bowthrusters are used there is a heavy vibration that will wake you up.

Hi Gill,

Be interested to know your views on the F deck suites, we've got an aft suite on C deck sailing on 23rd May & have got on on D deck in Sept 2016; are we on the same cruise?

Joan

Hi Joan

Yes, we are on that sailing too. See you onboard?

Hi Joan

Yes, we are on that sailing too. See you onboard?

Hi Gill,

Definitely; you never know we might see you during embarkation.

You probably won't miss us, I'll be the one with the brightly coloured / patterned luggage / rucksack / pull along (much to my Husband's disgust :eek:) whilst Tony is 6' 4" so normally stands out in a crowd! Or he reckons he will do with my choice of new luggage :)

If not, please feel free to pop up to C736 at some point if you want to have a look around.

See you on board.

Joan

2366.jpg.6a8e7beda5cfcb4192c0fd98483c5df0.jpg

My husband is a Tony too, but considerably shorter - especially following spinal surgery!

We will be directly under you, but three decks down, in F730. I'll look out for you and/or your luggage in the terminal or at the embarkation lunch. We are staying at the Grand Harbour the night before, you're not there are you?

Edited by cruiseluvva

We were in stateroom C732 on the maiden cruise and yes we suffered with soot. Every morning the balcony was cleaned by the cabin steward but if you ever went outside and sat on the chairs you had to wipe them over first just to make sure and occasionally it was covered in enough to mark your clothes if you dont wipe it. We never had any problems with fumes over the aft of the ship or rocking but if you dock in port early in the morning before you are awake when the bowthrusters are used there is a heavy vibration that will wake you up.

We are in cabin F729 in July so this must be close to your cabin. :) We booked it because it has a bigger balcony than lots of other cabins. The issues you describe sound very much like our experience on the Celebrity Silhouette. We had an aft cabin 3 times and there was always some ash that had to be cleaned off. We took someone's advice and took a small flannel with us that we used to just dust furniture down first thing and always wore slippers on the balcony first thing. It was nothing major and we were more than happy.

Similarly, we definitely knew when we were docking as there was a heavy vibration from what you describe as they bow thrusters.

I just mention this as I don't think it is a Britannia issue, seems like a general aft cabin issue on a number of ships. People need to do their homework rather than pick a cabin and then moan all the way through their holidays and afterwards about things that they could have found out about beforehand. :rolleyes:

PS Just to add that this comment isn't aimed at Majortom - was thinking about some of the very negative reviews I've read about Britannia.

Edited by Presto2

Yes I would agree there is often some soot in an aft facing balcony. We have had aft facing cabins for many, many cruises - well over 100 nights - but it has never inconvenienced us nor have the thrusters, which we have found only noticable when berthing.

My husband is a Tony too, but considerably shorter - especially following spinal surgery!

We will be directly under you, but three decks down, in F730. I'll look out for you and/or your luggage in the terminal or at the embarkation lunch. We are staying at the Grand Harbour the night before, you're not there are you?

Hi Gill,

Please come & say hello if you see us & or my luggage :) either in the terminal or at the lunch. I'm confident there won't be too many with the same, or at least that was the plan when I purchased it. If there are then they've got good taste like me :rolleyes:

No, unfortunately, we're not staying at the Grand Harbour this time; we have done previously as it's a nice start to the cruise.

We live in Harrow so it's only about a 90 min drive for us. We will set off early on Saturday morning & aim to be at the docks for between 11 - midday.

I get to see Britannia on Saturday as I've got a ship visit so really looking forward to that & then it's not long until we sail :D

Joan

Yes I would agree there is often some soot in an aft facing balcony. We have had aft facing cabins for many, many cruises - well over 100 nights - but it has never inconvenienced us nor have the thrusters, which we have found only noticable when berthing.

They work as a good alarm clock if nothing else! :)

Just returned from the med on Britannia. Gorgeous aft delux cabin.Compact but well set out.The bathroom was superb. The bed has to be one of the most comfortable ones Ive slept in.The balcony was big enough for two sunchairs plus a foot stool and table.Yes there was soot odd days on the balcony but the steward cleaned it up everyday and to protect my clothes I tended to put the navy sun towel on the sun chair but it wasn't a real problem. The ship did tend to judder a bit at the back and the rolling action was a bit weird rolling head to foot as opposed to side to side.The noise was very noticeable though from the club underneath.Enjoy!

Just returned from the med on Britannia. Gorgeous aft delux cabin.Compact but well set out.The bathroom was superb. The bed has to be one of the most comfortable ones Ive slept in.The balcony was big enough for two sunchairs plus a foot stool and table.Yes there was soot odd days on the balcony but the steward cleaned it up everyday and to protect my clothes I tended to put the navy sun towel on the sun chair but it wasn't a real problem. The ship did tend to judder a bit at the back and the rolling action was a bit weird rolling head to foot as opposed to side to side.The noise was very noticeable though from the club underneath.Enjoy!

Hi, which cabin did you have if you don't mind us asking?

Hi, has anybody had a cabin on the BACK END of the ship? We go in August and have read some not very good reviews, regarding size of balcony also complaints of constant rocking, and dirt and soot on the balcony from fumes going over the back of the ship. I'm hoping it's just reviews from the negative type of people who just like to moan about everything... Thanks in advance..

What cabin have you got; I could try and get a photo of the balcony for you either on my ship visit on Saturday or during my cruise next month?

Joan

cabin E741.

I have booked D737 which is directly above you and our friends are in the corner suite, E743, that was next to you. Don't suppose you or anyone else has any balcony shots?

Thanks

Hi,sorry didn't take photos of the actual balcony itself.Found level E offered a good view both in port and sailing. The only thing I didn't like about them was they were stepped and all overlooked at the rear including the suites.The ones immediately under the sundeck were open to everyone to view hanging over the rail.

Hi sapphire4 I think our cabin is right above the one you had so it is good to know you liked it. Am glad it is stepped, it means a mix of sun and shade. A nice retreat for those manic August time sea days. :-)

We arrived back this morning having been in A704 a few rooms short of the back.

We can't compare with other boats as this was our first cruise. We found the room and balcony a good size.

I would say it does vibrate a lot especially when going in to or out of port. The headboard vibrates and then docking the tv vibrates like there is an earth quake. It does appear as though it catches occasionally over the odd wave, a weird sensation but after a few days you get used it.

Thanks

Glenn

We arrived back this morning having been in A704 a few rooms short of the back.

We can't compare with other boats as this was our first cruise. We found the room and balcony a good size.

I would say it does vibrate a lot especially when going in to or out of port. The headboard vibrates and then docking the tv vibrates like there is an earth quake. It does appear as though it catches occasionally over the odd wave, a weird sensation but after a few days you get used it.

Thanks

Glenn

We've been in aft cabins before and experienced this --- it comes with the territory.

Like I said before -- a good alarm clock :) You know you have arrived :D