Dawn vs. Holland's Veendam to Bermuda, help!

mom2t&j

Trying to decide between these 2 ships for a last minute cruise Next month to Bermuda with my elderly mother who has some mobility issues. She can do some stairs, but also uses a walker. We will also have a wheelchair with us, in case needed for port visit activities.

I know the Veendam is able to dock in Hamilton where as the Dawn requires a ferry to reach land. Can anyone give me insight as to mobility related challenges with either docking areas/towns (other than the added required ferry), meaning are there steep uphill grades involved which would impact our decision? And any other issues like that? We want to be sure she is able to get around with her walker or that we are able to push her in her wheelchair.

Any insight between these 2 ships for us would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

Trying to decide between these 2 ships for a last minute cruise Next month to Bermuda with my elderly mother who has some mobility issues. She can do some stairs, but also uses a walker. We will also have a wheelchair with us, in case needed for port visit activities.

I know the Veendam is able to dock in Hamilton where as the Dawn requires a ferry to reach land. Can anyone give me insight as to mobility related challenges with either docking areas/towns (other than the added required ferry), meaning are there steep uphill grades involved which would impact our decision? And any other issues like that? We want to be sure she is able to get around with her walker or that we are able to push her in her wheelchair.

Any insight between these 2 ships for us would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!

The Dawn docks at a regular "dock" in Bermuda.

There is a ferry if one wishes to use it to get to other parts of the island, but we've always just used taxis/vans in Bermuda, including from where the Dawn docks. There should be a line of taxis/vans waiting, like at most "arrivals" areas.

The two ships do use docks at different "ends" of the island.

I'm not sure where you got your information about Dawn not using a proper dock and requiring a "ferry" to disembark.

You, your elderly mother, no kids, mobility issues, ease of getting around ... Veendam.

The ship parks in Hamilton, alongside the Front Street, Monday to Thursday.

BTW, Dawn does dock but it's at the Dockyard and you need to travel on ferry or bus to Hamilton.

Enjoy!!!

On the Dawn in May we had some rocking and rolling. Saw a few elderly folks with injuries from falling. Veendam is smaller and motion will be more pronounced.

Docking in Hamilton puts you in the middle of the action. Not too many hills until you venture off font street. Same for the dockyard - very flat - and there's a free trolley for getting around the dockyard.

St George is very hilly outside of the town square. NCL offers a free tender from the Dockyard to St George.

Good luck with your decision.

Look at the numbers:

• the Dawn is docked in Bermuda for 53 hours, the Veendam, 72 hours;
  • the Dawn's 7 night cruise is Friday to Friday, the Veendam's, Saturday to Saturday;
  • the Dawn arrives on Sunday, Veendam, Monday. On Sunday, there is reduced bus and ferry service and store closings;
  • the Dawn docks at the Dockyard (aka,West End), the Veendam, Hamilton, just about the center of Bermuda.

SBtS

Veendam is small enough to get into downtown, Hamilton - where Front Street with the stores & shops are literally 500' from the gangways, come and go as you wish - go back for lunch, take a nap, out again in the evening. No worries about the buses (that's always packed full on ship days) or lines for the ferry, which are accessible. As for the rest of the popular tourist sites in downtown, they are up the small hill, 2 to 3 blocks or more - either way, it's an incline ... or, take a taxi up and work her way on the return downhill.

Harborfest with music is Wednesday evening & you can just walk outside & turn left, no rush to get back to Dockyard where the Dawn is. Shops that stayed open on Sunday have shorter business hours.

Whether anyone is prone to motion or not, book a midship stateroom for a smoother ride - the scenic sailing into & out of downtown alone is a beautiful one. Depending on what stateroom(s) you are booking into, aren't those on the Veendam bigger for a given category.

There's a solo cruiser's review last year (2016) from a CC'er who did B2B on the Veendam and then joined the Breakaway, both with Bermuda as the destination - search for it on NCL forum here - interesting read for comparison. IMHO, smaller ship into Hamilton - even if you have to do taxi to get around, it's cheaper for these islands of just 27 miles from the midpoint.

Thank you so much to everyone who thoughtfully replied! As it turned out, only the Dawn had an accessible stateroom with balcony available so the decision was made for us.

I will keep in mind the info you shared with me as we plan our time in Bermuda, thank you again! :)