Moorea excursion and activity options

stevenpgol

We will be travelling with two other couples in late October, staying three nights pre-cruise at IC Moorea, and then having a couple of days during the cruise in Moorea, as well. We had a few questions regarding selecting appropriate activities.

1. ATV Moorea vs. Francky Franck as an excursion?

2. Considering Dr. Poole's whale/dolphin trip.

3. Three Coconuts hike vs. Tour of the Ancients?

4. Bike vs. auto rental?

5. Dinner recommendations for the pre-cruise nights?

Thank you in advance for your input!

I would rent a car. The one road does not have a shoulder and IMHO is not very safe. Parts are newly paved and parts are like a war zone. We stay at the Hilton and Rudy's and Moorea Beach Café will pick up at no charge. Both were very good. I'm not sure if these or others will pick up from the IC.

We will be travelling with two other couples in late October, staying three nights pre-cruise at IC Moorea, and then having a couple of days during the cruise in Moorea, as well. We had a few questions regarding selecting appropriate activities.

1. ATV Moorea vs. Francky Franck as an excursion?

2. Considering Dr. Poole's whale/dolphin trip.

3. Three Coconuts hike vs. Tour of the Ancients?

4. Bike vs. auto rental?

5. Dinner recommendations for the pre-cruise nights?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Hi Steven,

We have 3 pre-cruise nights in Moorea and have pretty much decided to spend most of our daytime at the Hilton Moorea Hotel we are booked at. Decided if we are spending the money for the OWB's we might as well enjoy the resort, although we will eat out away from the Hilton 2 of our nights. There are restaurants that will pick up from some hotels (Hilton for sure) and bring you for Dinner and then return you back to the Hotel. First night ( arrival day) we plan to eat at our Hilton Hotel at the Totea Creparie, will be convenient and great reviews and setting. Next 2 nights we are undecided between Rudy's, Le Mahogany and Moorea Beach Cafe. We were in Moorea in 2014 and enjoyed Le Mahogany and Moorea Beach Cafe for Dinner. Not sure if they are still as good now and Rudy's has mostly great reviews. So it will be hard to decide.

As far as activities, we will be renting a car from Albert's on Day 1 of our port visits to Moorea from the cruise ship and plan to drive to the Lagoonarium. It has excellent reviews and then lunch at Snack Mahana. Day 2 we have a 1/2 day morning excursion booked with FranckyFranck's for island ATV tour. Hope this gives you some ideas. Moorea is beautiful no matter what you decide to do.

Thank you for the advice! Wishing you a great time in paradise!

Hi Steven,

We have 3 pre-cruise nights in Moorea and have pretty much decided to spend most of our daytime at the Hilton Moorea Hotel we are booked at. Decided if we are spending the money for the OWB's we might as well enjoy the resort, although we will eat out away from the Hilton 2 of our nights. There are restaurants that will pick up from some hotels (Hilton for sure) and bring you for Dinner and then return you back to the Hotel. First night ( arrival day) we plan to eat at our Hilton Hotel at the Totea Creparie, will be convenient and great reviews and setting. Next 2 nights we are undecided between Rudy's, Le Mahogany and Moorea Beach Cafe. We were in Moorea in 2014 and enjoyed Le Mahogany and Moorea Beach Cafe for Dinner. Not sure if they are still as good now and Rudy's has mostly great reviews. So it will be hard to decide.

As far as activities, we will be renting a car from Albert's on Day 1 of our port visits to Moorea from the cruise ship and plan to drive to the Lagoonarium. It has excellent reviews and then lunch at Snack Mahana. Day 2 we have a 1/2 day morning excursion booked with FranckyFranck's for island ATV tour. Hope this gives you some ideas. Moorea is beautiful no matter what you decide to do.

Thanks for the recommendations, we have had Lunch at Lilikoi previously and it was nice and very reasonable. Easy walk from Hilton.

Looking for recommendations for Dinner for 2 nights, trying to choose between Le Mahogany, Marina Cafe and Rudy's.

Plan to eat at the Creparie at the Hilton the first night but the other 3 restaurants offer pick up and return to Hilton. We very much enjoyed Le Mahogany and Marina Cafe our last visit to Moorea. Have never been to Rudy's. What are your thoughts Tahitian?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BP, hadn't realized, or forgot, that you were pre-cruising on Moorea. We are too, although at the much smaller Les Tipaniers. We will have a car for the full time we're there.

I know nothing about the restaurants you're musing about, guess it's time to do my homework. Last time we ate mainly at our hotel for dinner (which has two really nice restaurants--one for dinner, and the other more casual beachside restaurant for breakfast and lunch). They will also pick you up and drive you if you want to dine there. Snack Mahana will be on our list for lunch, for sure, as will another very casual counter-style eatery along the stretch in Maharepa called Snack Chez Didier.

Rudy's looks intriguing.

Wendy, will Les Tipaniers pick up customers for Lunch too or just for Dinner?

We currently have no plans for car rental on our pre cruise days, pretty much will hang out and enjoy our hotel amenities. But off site Dinner plans are on our agenda. I could easily go back to Marina Cafe and Le Mahogany as we had very nice meals there in 2014. But contemplating Rudy's too.

Wendy, will Les Tipaniers pick up customers for Lunch too or just for Dinner?

We currently have no plans for car rental on our pre cruise days, pretty much will hang out and enjoy our hotel amenities. But off site Dinner plans are on our agenda. I could easily go back to Marina Cafe and Le Mahogany as we had very nice meals there in 2014. But contemplating Rudy's too.

Not sure about Les Tipes. Perhaps not. As I said, don't know any of those other restaurants. Do they all have pickup for dinner? Rudy's and Le Mahogany are all in Maharepa which would be too far for us at night without a pickup. Where is the Marina Cafe? Couldn't find it on Google Maps.

Maybe we could go out together some day for lunch. Just an idea, we'll have a little car. I'll talk to my husband when I see him (I'm at the cottage right now.)

Sorry for listing the wrong name, is is Moorea Beach Cafe, not Marina Cafe. In 2014 both Moorea Beach Cafe and Le Mahogany picked up at Hilton. Rudy's picks up as well I believe but I don't know if it is restricted to certain Hotels on the island. Thanks for the lunch invite but we are traveling with friends so doubtful your car can carry 6.

If Les Tips picks up for Lunch, that would certainly be a Lunch option for us. Can't plan everything out too far in advance but I can certainly email Hotel and ask the question.

Hi there

I went to a couple of restaurants in Moorea during my last stay, and the fine dining restaurant at the IC Moorea was by far the best. I had a really extraordinary meal there on the last night of my stay. Definitely go out with Dr Michael Poole. I was lucky enough to swim with two male humpbacks when I went out with Dr Poole. You are in deep open ocean though, so not for the faint hearted! I went with ATV which was right across the road from IC Moorea - had a great time. Hope this helps :)

Sorry for listing the wrong name, is is Moorea Beach Cafe, not Marina Cafe. In 2014 both Moorea Beach Cafe and Le Mahogany picked up at Hilton. Rudy's picks up as well I believe but I don't know if it is restricted to certain Hotels on the island. Thanks for the lunch invite but we are traveling with friends so doubtful your car can carry 6.

If Les Tips picks up for Lunch, that would certainly be a Lunch option for us. Can't plan everything out too far in advance but I can certainly email Hotel and ask the question.

And I remember now from the roll-call that you are travelling with another couple, right? So my idea of coming and picking you up wouldn't work, sorry.

All those restaurants you have mentioned are over on the Maharepa side, a long slog at night for us. MIght consider one of them if they pick up. I am assuming we can pick up reservations while we're there. If not, we can easily eat at our hotel or stick to "our" side of the island. And eEss71, we'll consider trying the IC, since it's really close to our hotel (within sight on the water.) What is the name of their fine dining restaurant?

I posted this pic to our roll-call, but here it is again. The shore-side restaurant at Les Tipaniers is in the background, so bring your suit if you come for lunch. Typical FP prices, nice food. Water is nice and clear. Not great snorkeling but there are definitely fish to see:

P1020904-L.jpg

Hi there

I went to a couple of restaurants in Moorea during my last stay, and the fine dining restaurant at the IC Moorea was by far the best. I had a really extraordinary meal there on the last night of my stay. ...

Well I take back saying I might go there, at least to "The Shell". I know FP is pricey, but the tuna with foie gras entree is $47! Cheapest entree I see is $35.