What do you think of this??????????????

Will Fred Olsen's extra-charge Grill restaurant turn out to be a mis-steak?

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2014/06/will-fred-olsens-extra-charge-.html

I'll keep an open mind until we know more. Perhaps 'Fred' would like to give us some more detail?

I'm assuming this will be the Marquis grill offerings on Black Watch??

wft

Not sure what the fuss is. If you do not want to eat in there don't. We were on the Boudicca to Greenland and never noticed or considered the restaurant. The Spa is extra but nobody grumbles about that, the bingo is extra cost, wine tasting is extra.

So there is a restaurant with so called "better food" than the MDR at extra cost, so what.

Happy cruising.

Cunard have been doing extra charge restaurants on their ships for years, Todd English on QM2 and Victoria and The Veranda on Queen Elizabeth, so it's nothing new, just another way for cruise lines to extract a bit more dosh from us. I was recently on Boudicca and they had a restaurant on deck 6 aft and charged £10 per head supplement, I am sure this has already been discussed on here. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2064686

Edited by ovccruiser

This sounds like a non-event for us as we eat the vegetarian option at dinner unless there is an interesting fish dish. Great lumps of animal are not what we consume at home or on holiday. This choice during the cruise reduces the weight gain over the period of the cruise!! :)

A grill with all its meat dishes is no temptation at all for us and getting some passengers out of the MDR at dinner must be good as theses rooms are quite a tight fit at the best of times. Some people just like to pay more! ( It is an eternal truth well recognised in the retail trade!! )

Not sure what the fuss is. If you do not want to eat in there don't. We were on the Boudicca to Greenland and never noticed or considered the restaurant. The Spa is extra but nobody grumbles about that, the bingo is extra cost, wine tasting is extra.

So there is a restaurant with so called "better food" than the MDR at extra cost, so what.

Happy cruising.

I'm not making a fuss, just reporting the news. Might even indulge if it's where I think it is on Black Watch.

Will Fred Olsen's extra-charge Grill restaurant turn out to be a mis-steak?

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/2014/06/will-fred-olsens-extra-charge-.html

I'll keep an open mind until we know more. Perhaps 'Fred' would like to give us some more detail?

I'm assuming this will be the Marquis grill offerings on Black Watch??

wft

At £10 a head I can't see it being a much better experience than the MDR, perhaps they should charge £40 - £50 a head and make it a really special gourmet dining experience.

We have tried the alternative restaurants on Celebrity Eclipse and found only two of the three restaurants worth the extra charge.

We have never used the pay extra restaurants on any ship. If we don't like the menu in the MDR we use the buffet. I can't see the point of paying for something which is already included in your cruise price :rolleyes:

On our first cruise in 1993 the food and the service in the MDR was superb and the waiters and sommeliers had the time to provide a personal service to each diner. Over the years the cost of cruising has become more affordable but in my opinion the menus in the MDRs have become more ordinary and the service has deteriorated somewhat. If I can pay more to obtain a better menu and service I consider it money we'll spent.

If the additional revenue obtained from the speciality restaurants helps to keep cruise prices down then everyone benefits. Of course in an ideal world the food and service in the MDR would be so good that no one would consider using the speciality restaurants.

We have just returned from a cruise on Balmoral and the food was excellent, including various steak options throughout the holiday. Although I have no real objection to a premium, extra charge restaurant, I would be very upset if it meant a reduction in the quality and choice currently offered in the main restaurants. If I ever felt this to be the case (we are booked onto Boadica in February) it would be my last Fred.Olsen cruise for sure.