Indian Visas - any tips, please

We are sailing on Balmoral for the 2014 World Cruise - really looking forward to it and we really like this ship.

What is the best way to get the Indian Visas? I'm tempted to go for the personal visit to the Consulate (we are near to London and would probably spend the day there). Or, maybe it's not worth the hassle - I see that Trailfinders will do it for around £40?

Any tips from those who have done it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff

• 1 month later...

Hi

We went on Cruise last year to India and you wont get on-board unless you have one, we did ours through post and came back in 4 days I was amazed, this time of the year is quiet as its monsoon weather in that part of the world so not very touristy so post them. ( Registered Delivery )

Jeff

I used CIBT as recommended by Fred Olsen for the "Black Watch" cruise earlier this year and found then very helpful and efficient. I intend using this company again for the "Balmoral" cruise early next year. They are not cheap but I think it is worth paying to avoid problems.

As someone else stated you will not be allowed to board the ship without the Indian visa.

I used CIBT as recommended by Fred Olsen for the "Black Watch" cruise earlier this year and found then very helpful and efficient. I intend using this company again for the "Balmoral" cruise early next year. They are not cheap but I think it is worth paying to avoid problems.

As someone else stated you will not be allowed to board the ship without the Indian visa.

Thanks, Parsman et al. The cost from CIBT is £33pp, +VAT. That compares well with other intermediary services and isn't a lot more than making a personal visit to the Consulate. So, we'll probably go for CIBT. Might see you on Balmoral.

Thanks

wft

We are also on Balmoral for the Dubai to Hong Kong sector, really looking forward to the cruise but not the pre cruise "admin"! Indian visas being the main thing! Has anyone been to their GP's "Travel Clinic" yet. If so are any injections needed? Have had the paperwork to fill in before we go but not done it yet! This is the first time we have done a World Cruise sector and have never flown so far! So lots of research on places to be visited.

As mentioned above I am on the same sector, Dubai to Hong Kong. I haven't been to the travel clinic yet but I suspect that if you are taking long trips ashore (which I plan to do) in Sri Lanka and Myanmar (Burma) they will recommend anti-malarials. I try to keep my yellow fever, typhoid etc up to date so I doubt if I will need any other injections.

The flights, I understand, are not charters so we shall be a block booking on a major airline. I suspect it will mean Heathrow but I await confirmation.

If I learn more I shall return.

We are also on Balmoral for the Dubai to Hong Kong sector, really looking forward to the cruise but not the pre cruise "admin"! Indian visas being the main thing! Has anyone been to their GP's "Travel Clinic" yet. If so are any injections needed? Have had the paperwork to fill in before we go but not done it yet! This is the first time we have done a World Cruise sector and have never flown so far! So lots of research on places to be visited.

Ref the Indian Visas, we've decided to do it all online and then make an appointment to visit the Consulate office in London to collect and finalise everything - I understand it's near the Barbican - we live near enough to be able to combine this with a visit to London. Has anyone done it this way? All comments appreciated.

Thanks

wft

When is it going to be the "right" time to apply for the Indian visas? Does anyone have any suggestions? I was led to believe that the visas are only for 3 months but I saw something about 6 months when I had my first trawl through there website. I must admit I probably need to get moving and read all about it soon!!

When is it going to be the "right" time to apply for the Indian visas? Does anyone have any suggestions? I was led to believe that the visas are only for 3 months but I saw something about 6 months when I had my first trawl through there website. I must admit I probably need to get moving and read all about it soon!!

Yes, it's 6 months validity.

We will probably do ours early next month.

wft

I don't know if you are aware but at the beginning of this year a group of countries were given permission for their nationals to enter India without the formal application process of applying for a visa. It was just the fill the card out system while on the plane etc.

Apparently the UK will be allowed to be part of that group but of course no date has been fixed. So keep monitoring the website of the Indian Embassy as you may not have to go through the lengthy visa application process.

I don't know if you are aware but at the beginning of this year a group of countries were given permission for their nationals to enter India without the formal application process of applying for a visa. It was just the fill the card out system while on the plane etc.

Apparently the UK will be allowed to be part of that group but of course no date has been fixed. So keep monitoring the website of the Indian Embassy as you may not have to go through the lengthy visa application process.

Thanks. I can tell you exactly when the Visa requirements will be changed for UK travellers - the day after we get ours.

• 2 months later...

We have done our visa request on-line and printed the forms. We had them returned on the basis we were applying too early. I recommend you advise you are traveling by ship in a letter with the application as they assume you are arriving by plane.

Following our e-mail explaining the situation we have just re-sent the applications off but hopefully all will be in order by the 14th Jan.

And check the Fred advice on where you claim to be visiting in India as one area at least, the Andamans, is dealt with separately

We have done our visa request on-line and printed the forms. We had them returned on the basis we were applying too early. I recommend you advise you are traveling by ship in a letter with the application as they assume you are arriving by plane.

Following our e-mail explaining the situation we have just re-sent the applications off but hopefully all will be in order by the 14th Jan.

And check the Fred advice on where you claim to be visiting in India as one area at least, the Andamans, is dealt with separately

I had problems doing the Visa online:mad: - I couldn't log back in after doing part of the form, so eventually our TA did the whole thing using a company that does them all the time and it went through no problems. I get the impression that the Consulate is more likely to 'rubber stamp' applications submitted that way. Anyway, I'm sure yours will arrive soon.

I see from the date that you are on Black Watch - that's a really nice cruise and I'm sure you will have a great time.

wft

I am concerned that we will lose the smaller cruise ships and getting around Cape Horn has been an aim of mine for decades so we decided to do it now. Balmoral we fancy for Jan 2015 before we hang up our travel boots [boats].

:)

We tried the Balmoral for size in 2012 to Canada. Nice ship perhaps bigger than I like. Great crew, great food. And a very nice itinerary for you!