Gibralter on own questions

I have been reading old threads on Gibralter and see that folks say it is easy to do on your own. We are interested in going to the top of the rock via the cable car, possibly walking part way down and then catching the cable car, and may be interested in touring the old WWII tunnels.

Can anyone tell me if the tunnels are close by? Someone else said taxi tours are recommended and that their price in quite reasonable and includes admissions...what are these admissions that are included?

The taxi tour includes all admissions except the WW2 tunnels.

That tour doesn't visit the WW2 tunnels but after its last stop, the Great Siege tunnel, it returns to town past the entrance. So one way of seeing them is to take the taxi tour & bale out at the WW2 tunnel. After touring the WW2tunnels (guided, approx. 20 - 30 minute intervals, lasts something like 60 - 90 minutes) you then walk down past the Moorish Castle & either catch a bus or walk the rest of the way.

To just visit the WW2 tunnel, take a bus from Casemates Square or taxi to the Moorish castle, pay your 50pence nature reserve fee there, & walk to the entrance. Fairly arduous walk from town, not difficult from the Moorish castle.

The cable car is at the other end of the upper Rock, so you have a 30 minute walk or taxi ride to the bottom station, then at the top mebbe visit the apes' den before a stiff but exhilarating walk along the saddle, mebbe visit the Great Siege tunnel, then walk down to the WW2 tunnels.

The mid-station doesn't operate April-September, and in any case is of no use to you if you want to visit either set of tunnels.

Cablecar doesn't operate in moderately high winds, often there are long lines.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

John Bulls response is spot on

I would add that seeing the monkeys at the top of the cable car isnt like seeing them on the taxi tour where its more open and generally there are more monkeys. Your driver will probably know the calmest monkeys and in our case we all posed with one on our shoulders. At the cable car top station in May a young girl off our cable car was bit by a monkey and paramedics were called to take her to hospital. Its a trek to the cable car (or taxi / bus) and you risk long queues or closure due to winds.

I would take the very reasonable taxi tour (includes Monkeys, Cave, Siege Tunnels) and ask to be let out at the tunnels on the return. Probably little in it cost wide compared to DIY.

I and may be interested in touring the old WWII tunnels.

Can anyone tell me if the tunnels are close by? Someone else said taxi tours are recommended and that their price in quite reasonable and includes admissions...what are these admissions that are included?

This is what the WWII tunnels tour looks like. It cost £8 pp in 2013 and takes about an hour.

[YOUTUBE]QpBAu6E7vEA[/YOUTUBE]

• 1 year later...
John Bulls response is spot on

I would add that seeing the monkeys at the top of the cable car isnt like seeing them on the taxi tour where its more open and generally there are more monkeys. Your driver will probably know the calmest monkeys and in our case we all posed with one on our shoulders. At the cable car top station in May a young girl off our cable car was bit by a monkey and paramedics were called to take her to hospital. Its a trek to the cable car (or taxi / bus) and you risk long queues or closure due to winds.

I would take the very reasonable taxi tour (includes Monkeys, Cave, Siege Tunnels) and ask to be let out at the tunnels on the return. Probably little in it cost wide compared to DIY.

Can you pick up taxi tour at the pier? What is the approximate cost per person?

Yes, some are taxis, most are minivans - about 8 to 10 seats, you'll be sharing with others from your ship. There's normally a taxi marshal.

The cost is £22 / €25 per person. I don't know if USD or plastic are accepted.

If you require sole use of a vehicle you pay for all seats.

Admissions charges to the Upper Rock, St Michael's Cave & the Great Siege Tunnel/Galleries are included in that price, there's no fee for the Apes Den.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

And if you wish the taxi will drop you off in town afterwards so you can shop or eat and then wander back to the ship. This really is a port that you don't need to book a more expensive ships tour for if you want to see the Rock and apes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk