We're heading out on Costa

editor@cruisecritic

On Friday, we're boarding Costa Luminosa in Barcelona, for a preview cruise before the ship heads for its Caribbean season out of Miami. Happy to check out anything you're curious about (though I encourage you first to read Kfowinst's terrific review -- she's just back, and it's here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1929150).

Otherwise, post away, and I'll do my best, Internet willing, to respond to you from the ship (if not, I'll respond when I'm back on land).

And if you have any advice, please feel free to include that as well!

Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

On Friday, we're boarding Costa Luminosa in Barcelona, for a preview cruise before the ship heads for its Caribbean season out of Miami. Happy to check out anything you're curious about (though I encourage you first to read Kfowinst's terrific review -- she's just back, and it's here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1929150).

Otherwise, post away, and I'll do my best, Internet willing, to respond to you from the ship (if not, I'll respond when I'm back on land).

Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

i don't know if you've cruised costa before, but i offer this to all 1st time costa cruisers: don't expect it to be just like all the other lines. costa is 'different' (some would say not in a good way). go with an open mind and you'll have a great time.

Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

What I would suggest to my friend:

1. Samsara is the way of cruising on Costa.

2. For solo cruisers - Book a regular cabin and purchase Samsara package separately. You'll pay for Samsara twice if you book Samsara category cabin.

My questions.

1. By design the promenade deck on the Luminosa must have a transverse connection in the forward end that makes it fully wrap-around. Is that part open to the public? Can we actually walk there?

2. Does the Luminosa offer live music band on the main stage? On our cruise on the Favolosa there was prerecorded music that was very disappointing.

Thank you and enjoy your cruise!

Thanks.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Hi Carolyn,

My DH and I will be cruising on the Luminosa in December, our first Costa cruise. It was nice reading a couple of good reviews recently as there is not much information on CC about this ship. Kfowinst review was terrific and helped answer questions I had.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts of the Luminosa!

Safe travels and enjoy your cruise!

Thank you!

Barb

Thanks Carolyn. I'm booked on the Nov. TA cruise and have appreciated the recent Luminosa chatter. This is my first time on Costa and I'm preparing for a new unique experience. I'm a 3 star HAL Mariner so I'm determined to keep an open mind. They have huge roll calls and there is nothing for my upcoing cruise - only 3 people have posted. I'm curious if there are any activities for single, solo travelers. Can you check that out please. Thanks, Christina

Hi, Anonymous. I'll second that advice, Costa, like other European lines (including but not limited to AIDA, MSC and others) mostly market to Europeans. At least in Europe. And Europeans travel differently from Americans. So there are quirks. As long as you're not expecting an all-American ambience, you'll be fine.

Carolyn

i don't know if you've cruised costa before, but i offer this to all 1st time costa cruisers: don't expect it to be just like all the other lines. costa is 'different' (some would say not in a good way). go with an open mind and you'll have a great time.

I found the same thing, Barb! So will be happy to provide info. I'll be writing a blog, posting occasionally on Facebook (facebook.com/cruisecritic) and answering any questions here. And then of course writing a review. But that takes a few weeks :)

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,

My DH and I will be cruising on the Luminosa in December, our first Costa cruise. It was nice reading a couple of good reviews recently as there is not much information on CC about this ship. Kfowinst review was terrific and helped answer questions I had.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts of the Luminosa!

Safe travels and enjoy your cruise!

Thank you!

Barb

Great tips, thanks Cruisetrail. Will look into Samsara packages...interesting idea. Will find answers to your questions....

Carolyn

2. For solo cruisers - Book a regular cabin and purchase Samsara package separately. You'll pay for Samsara twice if you book Samsara category cabin.

My questions.

1. By design the promenade deck on the Luminosa must have a transverse connection in the forward end that makes it fully wrap-around. Is that part open to the public? Can we actually walk there?

2. Does the Luminosa offer live music band on the main stage? On our cruise on the Favolosa there was prerecorded music that was very disappointing.

Hey Carolyn,

I hope you enjoy your trip on the Luminosa.

Glad you found my review useful - a lot of it is my subjective opinions of course, but I tried to include lots of details as I benefited from CC posters when booking my honeymoon.

One thing I'd be interested in is your take on hygiene - is this ship doing enough? Even though the ship looked very clean, my mum was concerned by the lack of enforced hand washing. Does it make a difference?

You are right, this is a very European cruise, most passengers were from Europe and to non-Europeans may appear to be rude. For example, it is not custom to say 'please' and 'thank you' as often as Brits and Americans do in Italy/ Spain. It is also not the norm to tip (e.g. you just round up the bill in an Italian restaurant in general). Queuing is also not a cultural norm in med countries. So it's not people being rude, the culture is just very different. We did not find the passengers an issue on this cruise as other reviews have highlighted - but it might be because we are less sensitive having been accustomed to European travel and living in a cosmopolitan city in England.

Happy travels!

Hi -- will definitely check out hygiene -- and see if pax and crew are following protocol. That's an issue for me, too!

Carolyn

Hey Carolyn,

I hope you enjoy your trip on the Luminosa.

Glad you found my review useful - a lot of it is my subjective opinions of course, but I tried to include lots of details as I benefited from CC posters when booking my honeymoon.

One thing I'd be interested in is your take on hygiene - is this ship doing enough? Even though the ship looked very clean, my mum was concerned by the lack of enforced hand washing. Does it make a difference?

You are right, this is a very European cruise, most passengers were from Europe and to non-Europeans may appear to be rude. For example, it is not custom to say 'please' and 'thank you' as often as Brits and Americans do in Italy/ Spain. It is also not the norm to tip (e.g. you just round up the bill in an Italian restaurant in general). Queuing is also not a cultural norm in med countries. So it's not people being rude, the culture is just very different. We did not find the passengers an issue on this cruise as other reviews have highlighted - but it might be because we are less sensitive having been accustomed to European travel and living in a cosmopolitan city in England.

Happy travels!

Although there were santiser stations on NeoR - have to say, there were some who just bypassed them - and no, they were not enforced by MDR or Buffet staff.

Carnival actually are the best I have seen in recent years at enforcing the santiser stations - and also, placing tissue for use at the door handles exiting the loos - didnt see that at all on Costa.

Sadly it might take an outbreak for them to sharpen up -

just cannot understand why people dont use the sanitiser.

I run a food business and I guess am very aware of door handles, taps - surfaces, anything that one can touch - I carry little sprays, wipes and gel liquids in my purse.

I must admit to giving that look of disgust to those who body swerve the sanitiser stations - :p

Sounds like neoromantica is better than the Luminosa- not once did we see anyone use the hand sanitisers! We used them every time we walked by of course.

The staff never asked once for guests to use them. There was no sanitisers on entering the ship from port. We were surprised because RCL won't let anyone on the ship if they don't wash their hands.

I was just very careful, although it did make me quite paranoid!

Although there were santiser stations on NeoR - have to say, there were some who just bypassed them - and no, they were not enforced by MDR or Buffet staff.

Carnival actually are the best I have seen in recent years at enforcing the santiser stations - and also, placing tissue for use at the door handles exiting the loos - didnt see that at all on Costa.

Sadly it might take an outbreak for them to sharpen up -

just cannot understand why people dont use the sanitiser.

I run a food business and I guess am very aware of door handles, taps - surfaces, anything that one can touch - I carry little sprays, wipes and gel liquids in my purse.

I must admit to giving that look of disgust to those who body swerve the sanitiser stations - :p

They had tissues and signs on the Mediterranea for people to use when exiting.

I also noticed that during the day the towels were paper but in the evening they provided cloth towels.

Odd how things are not consistently the same. (Applies to other cruiselines too.)

I've been on RCL three times and never been required to wash my hands.

I was on the Radiance of the Seas earlier this May on a cruise in Alaska. Dining staff were positioned at the entrance of the Windjammer to politely ask guests to use the sanitizer. Likewise in the MDR.

Agree with the above posters that this practice is somehow not enforced on Costa. I was on the Deliziosa earlier this month. In some location, the dispenser is tucked away in a not easily visible spot.

Hi, Cruisetrail, just need clarification. When you're asking about music on the main stage, which stage, specifically is that? Do you mean the Atrium or the main theater?

Carolyn

My questions.

So yesterday, I got stuck in a long line to enter the buffet on Luminosa because -- everyone in front of me was using the hand sanitizer!

They're around the ship, mostly in food venues, and people do seem to be using them. There's no staff to make sure but on most lines I've been on (save for Norwegian, where they make it fun by singing the "washy washy" song) that's usually the case. I'm like a lot of you -- I carry my own stuff anyway, and wash my hands thoroughly after getting back on board, etc.

The public bathrooms have cloth towels; that's a nice touch I haven't seen on other mass market lines.

Carolyn

Sounds like neoromantica is better than the Luminosa- not once did we see anyone use the hand sanitisers! We used them every time we walked by of course.

The staff never asked once for guests to use them. There was no sanitisers on entering the ship from port. We were surprised because RCL won't let anyone on the ship if they don't wash their hands.

I was just very careful, although it did make me quite paranoid!

Hi Carolyn,

I'm glad to hear the hand sanitizers are out for people to use! Hygiene is important especially after being on several cruises that had the norovirus outbreak!! Nothing worse than having your vacation spoiled by getting sick!!

I noticed on FB that you have a balcony cabin. If I may ask, what deck are you on? We booked a BP Cabin on deck 8, below the walkway into the buffet area. I'm hoping its not too noisy. Thanks for sharing a pic of your cabin! Happy to hear the shower is a bit larger than the standard size.:)

Barb

kfowinst asked about hand washing, not sanitizers. I do not know of any ship anywhere which enforces hand washing for passengers.

As far as I know, all the brands of hand sanitizers used have a barrier gel. I used to agree with the "better than nothing" school, but I'm now leaing towards "false sense of security". I've seen people who actually think that a couple of gloops of hand sanitizer actually constitute effective decontamination after a port stop!

Hi, Anonymous. I'll second that advice, Costa, like other European lines (including but not limited to AIDA, MSC and others) mostly market to Europeans. At least in Europe. And Europeans travel differently from Americans. So there are quirks. As long as you're not expecting an all-American ambience, you'll be fine.

Carolyn

We're anxious to read all you input on Costa, as we are apprehensive about our scheduled trip on the Mediterranea in January 2015.

Please detail what you mean by "quirks" :)

Thank you,

Deedee

Edited by cricketts

We're anxious to read all you input on Costa, as we are apprehensive about our scheduled trip on the Mediterranea in January 2015.

Please detail what you mean by "quirks" :)

Thank you,

Deedee

I think it has been mentioned a couple of times in different posts, both in the Costa and MSC areas on this forum, but to sum it up shortly, my experience is the following (I am from a country in Europe).

Before I list the differences, remember that EU and Europe is not the same - since many Americans don't know this. The European Union (EU) is an economic and political union of 28 member states (read independent countries, with their own laws) that are located primarily in Europe. Europe is a continent, and is the second part of Eurasia.

• Culture: Unlike the US, there is no such thing as an European culture or European standard as such. What characterise Europe is that we are ~50 countries and 740 mill. people with many different ways of doing things. With that being said, there are some overall terms that can be said to be a general European way or standard.
  • Service: The take at service in most countries in Europe is very different from the American way. This does not mean that there are not bad service in European countries as there is in the US. The main general different from most European countries compared to the US, is that we enjoy relaxed, casual and distanced service with a smile and approaching and helpful when you call the attention of a service personnel - we also call this to have an authentic feeling of service. Most Europeans sees the American service approach to be fake, up in your face, very superficial and I personally feel like I am being addressed like a child in many American situations where you are provided with service.
  • Food: Authentic European food is, also in my own personal experience, very different from the US food, as for example, Italian food served in a US Italian restaurant is US adapted. This means that it can be a surprise for Americans when they witness real Italian cuisine, if they have a tendency to only like food from their home country. Also, European cruise liners seems to make a different mix of different food from countries all around Europe, and as authentic as possible. Costa and MSC is said to serve their dishes and food with an Italian twist.
  • Languages: Since Europe is so much larger then the US and consists of so many different independent countries, announcements are made in the languages covering the largest countries, this being languages such as German (82 mill. people), French (65 mill. people), Italian (62 mill. people), Spanish (50 mill. people) and English as a neutral language.
  • Queues: It is very different in Europe how people behaves in queues, there is no red thread on this. Many European countries shares the exact same way of queuing as the US and some don't.
  • It's in the details: There are so many smaller things to it, that it is too wast a task to list in just a couple of minutes to write this response, but for example. Europeans do not have a custom of drinking that much Ice Tea and Lemonade or having tap water served at the table etc. etc. But this also goes the other way. When I am in the US, I always ask the waiters politely not to bring me any water to the table, as I cant stand smelling to tap water with such a high amount of chlorine.

This doesn't mean that the US or the European is right or wrong. It simply means that when Americans come to Europe, they should accept that things are different then from home, as the same things applies to people from Europe when they travel to the US.

It is just so very annoying and very blunt, to read reviews from Americans on an European liner, when most of their dissatisfaction stems from the cultural differences, when they are served as lousy food and bad service instead.

Hope this gave you a little insight.

Philip

Edited by phider

kfowinst asked about hand washing, not sanitizers. I do not know of any ship anywhere which enforces hand washing for passengers.

As far as I know, all the brands of hand sanitizers used have a barrier gel. I used to agree with the "better than nothing" school, but I'm now leaing towards "false sense of security". I've seen people who actually think that a couple of gloops of hand sanitizer actually constitute effective decontamination after a port stop!

i meant hand sanitisers...I didn't mean Royal Caribbean staff march you to a bathroom and watch while you wash your hands.... lol....sorry for the confusion!

You're right, hand sanitisers do give a false sense of security, hand washing is much more effective at killing germs, but sanitisers help prevent spread of Norovirus etc.

It's encouraging to hear Luminosa passengers on this cruise are queuing up to use the sanitiser before entering the buffet and MDR. On our cruise, there was no santiser pump on entry from days in port. I also did not hear any staff encouraging guests to use sanitiser, with the exception of Lucy, the English speaking host during our welcome meeting.

Edited by kfowinst

So yesterday, I got stuck in a long line to enter the buffet on Luminosa because -- everyone in front of me was using the hand sanitizer!

They're around the ship, mostly in food venues, and people do seem to be using them. There's no staff to make sure but on most lines I've been on (save for Norwegian, where they make it fun by singing the "washy washy" song) that's usually the case. I'm like a lot of you -- I carry my own stuff anyway, and wash my hands thoroughly after getting back on board, etc.

The public bathrooms have cloth towels; that's a nice touch I haven't seen on other mass market lines.

Carolyn

That's encouraging! The washy washing song on norweigian sounds cringe-worthy, but if it helps keep people healthy then i'm all for it :)

I really liked the cloth towels too and it made me feel like i was in a smart restaurant.